Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] will any ls6 parts work on/in an LS3? couple random questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:36 PM
69cvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default will any ls6 parts work on/in an LS3? couple random questions.

I'm considering swapping out my low mileage cam-only setup LS6 for an LS3 swap in my C5 Z06 but I have a couple questions..

will the cam and valvetrain fit or work from the LS6 to the LS3 without a ton of work?

and will my long tube American Racing long tubes bolt right up?

and these engines will bolt right up to my stock T56 trans correct?

are there any walk through threads on how to complete an LS3 swap in a C5 Corvette?

thank you!
Old 01-14-2017, 03:24 PM
da_vato
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant speak for the cam and valve train, but the question back is, why would you want to?

Headers bolt right up no mods other than delete the EGR tube.

Bolts right up to the stock trans, no modification.

I dont know of any walk through however, there are a few who did this swap on here and posted their progress along the way. This is the most recent that I know of...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-ls3-swap.html

Last edited by da_vato; 01-14-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default LS3 vs LS6

All engines shipped from GM since January 2006 carry the newer 58x reluctor wheel. If you have an early LS2 (PN 12499750) then it's considered an '05 engine and will carry the 24x reluctor wheel like the LS1 and LS6 variants. This is important to know when you start shopping around for a computer to run your engine. Any LS engine can be converted either way by swapping out the reluctor wheel, but it's a bit of a pain since it has to be pressed onto the crank. http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...#ixzz2oflNXNOl

EDIT: It would seem there are a few more variables at play here, but there are two irrefutable things to check for. First, it appears that all 58x reluctor wheel engines are Drive By Wire (DBW) and all 24x are Drive By Cable (DBC). Secondly, all 24x wheels are detected by a black sensor, while 58x use a grey sensor. This sensor is located at the back of the block, near the oil pan, on the passenger side of the engine, just above the starter.

So......you need a new reluctor wheel or a conversion wiring harness from Lingenfelter.
BUT........then the engine (only) will run properly, but you need other conversion harnesses in order to get your other Corvette systems to run.
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...gines/ls3.html

Last edited by 63Corvette; 01-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:23 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

If you're going to swap an LS3 then it's going to have heads already I assume correct? If so why are you concerned about using any of the LS6 valvetrain? LS3 heads are way superior to the LS6. Yes your headers work fine. The engine doesn't bolt to the trans anyway so that's no problem . It attaches to the torque tube, but no that isn't an issue. I would do a search here of 'LS3 swaps' there have been several very detailed posts about it. It's very doable but there is a good amount of work required so I'd read up on it to be sure it's something you're prepared for.

Get notified of new replies

To will any ls6 parts work on/in an LS3? couple random questions.

Quick Reply: [Z06] will any ls6 parts work on/in an LS3? couple random questions.