Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] C6Z Brakes on a C5Z

Old 02-03-2017, 09:07 PM
Stephen7
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Default C6Z Brakes on a C5Z

Sorry if this is old news but I tried searching and I just want to know if I can put the C6Z brakes on my C5Z. I was thinking about buying the kit from West Coast Corvette. The kit is a direct bolt on from what I understand. I have C6Z OEM wheels on the car now. Will they fit without any problems ? direct bolt on ?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:13 PM
REKCUF
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stephen7
Sorry if this is old news but I tried searching and I just want to know if I can put the C6Z brakes on my C5Z. I was thinking about buying the kit from West Coast Corvette. The kit is a direct bolt on from what I understand. I have C6Z OEM wheels on the car now. Will they fit without any problems ? direct bolt on ?
Yes to all!
The following users liked this post:
Stephen7 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:11 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

While it is certainly "possible", in my honest opinion, it is not worth the cost nor is it desirable, because the C6 Z06 brakes are not an upgrade for track usage. (You ARE only using them for a performance gain.....right??)
IF you really want to upgrade your brakes (Lotsa racers use the stock calipers with race pads), then THIS or better (Alcon, Brembo, Wilwood) is the proper usage for your money.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Robby04
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I beat this topic to death in my head as well as on the forum. There's lots of factors that can affect you decision here. I am going to save you a few hours of reading.
Yes the c6z brakes will fit. They will require at least oem 18's all around. Or a larger aftermarket wheel setup. Now buying that set brand new is a few grand. If your spending that much already. There is a kit made by willwood. That is much much better. There are other brands, but you will get into a higher price point.
There are also cheaper non big name brand stuff out there. I would steer clear of that totally. You only want good brakes. Oem. Brembo. Stoptech. Willwood.
Now, when upgrading to any of these bigger brake systems. This is going to push the caliper out, towards the outside of the car. If you are going to be running aftermarket wheels. This will affect how wide your lip can be.
Our cars have a funny offset as is. So we max out at a 3" lip in the rear. And a 2" lip up front. The addition of any of these brake systems, even c6z. ChangeS those tolerances. They become 2" lip in rear and 1"lip up front.
There is another option for bigger rotors, 2 piece, and stock calipers. Bear eradi speed. I went this route as I wanted as much weel lip as possible. But the actual braking stays about the same.
If you are not in a rush, you can find c6z stuff in the forums rather than buying from a company. If buying new get into the Willwood stuff.
Good luck. There's a lots of info and pics out there. The guys here have done every brake option possible. You can even run c5z fronts in the rear, most all the stuff will bolt up, the biggest issues I've seen are wheel fitments. Which isn't much of an issue..
The following 2 users liked this post by Robby04:
ArmchairArchitect (02-13-2017), Black 03 Z06 (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Some interesting ideas Robby04. Any pictures of your car with the larger rotors?

Hate to say it but I would be increasing the rotor size more to fill the hole than increase braking potential. I don't race the car the and the stock C5 Z brakes seem to work very well.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:31 PM
marc a
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I went through all of this when I bought my C5 in 2015.

My criteria were 6 piston top loading caliper, street and track pad availability, and using the largest OE rotor to keep cost of replacement low.

You can use the C6Z front rotors (355x32) with Wilwood W6A calipers. Contact Todd at TCE he may have a couple of these kits left. I paid less than 900 for pads and caliper kit.

I am aware that there are some negative comments about the W6A, but after running Porsche GT3 brakes on my 944LS1 track car, I can tell you that they stop the C5.

I did not upgrade the rear calipers or rotors since too much rear bias is not a good thing. I will just run a lesser pad on the rear at the track.

The problem with the C6Z calipers is that you have to remove them every time pads need to be replaced, not appealing at the track.

YMMV
Attached Images  

Last edited by marc a; 02-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Robby04
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

non of these are my car. I just did a quick google search. I have some life left on my oem's so I'll be putting be new stuff on once the old wear out.

One thing I am going to do, that these cars aren't showing. I am going to power coat the caliper arm that is curently black. I've seen them done and it make the caliper apear larger.

Good luck
Old 02-13-2017, 11:50 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

What a lot of new guys here still don't get is that if you want deep lip wheels, you can't run Big Brakes...and if you are ordering new wheels, and plan on upgrading to Big Brakes down the road, you have to order the wheels with that in mind, that's how it works.

frank

F 15" 8 piston, 10.5 x 19, 285/30
R 14" 4 piston 13 x 20, 345/25, tubbed.

Last edited by JETZ; 02-13-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:31 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby04
I beat this topic to death in my head as well as on the forum. There's lots of factors that can affect you decision here. I am going to save you a few hours of reading.
Yes the c6z brakes will fit. They will require at least oem 18's all around. Or a larger aftermarket wheel setup. Now buying that set brand new is a few grand. If your spending that much already. There is a kit made by willwood. That is much much better. There are other brands, but you will get into a higher price point.
There are also cheaper non big name brand stuff out there. I would steer clear of that totally. You only want good brakes. Oem. Brembo. Stoptech. Willwood.
Now, when upgrading to any of these bigger brake systems. This is going to push the caliper out, towards the outside of the car. If you are going to be running aftermarket wheels. This will affect how wide your lip can be.
Our cars have a funny offset as is. So we max out at a 3" lip in the rear. And a 2" lip up front. The addition of any of these brake systems, even c6z. ChangeS those tolerances. They become 2" lip in rear and 1"lip up front.
There is another option for bigger rotors, 2 piece, and stock calipers. Bear eradi speed. I went this route as I wanted as much weel lip as possible. But the actual braking stays about the same.
If you are not in a rush, you can find c6z stuff in the forums rather than buying from a company. If buying new get into the Willwood stuff.
Good luck. There's a lots of info and pics out there. The guys here have done every brake option possible. You can even run c5z fronts in the rear, most all the stuff will bolt up, the biggest issues I've seen are wheel fitments. Which isn't much of an issue..
How is the caliper moved out? More info on this please.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 PM
JBoyle997
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up a set of EBC slotted rotors with the EBC red stuff pads. Anyone know or have any experience with them?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by marc a
I went through all of this when I bought my C5 in 2015.

My criteria were 6 piston top loading caliper, street and track pad availability, and using the largest OE rotor to keep cost of replacement low.

You can use the C6Z front rotors (355x32) with Wilwood W6A calipers. Contact Todd at TCE he may have a couple of these kits left. I paid less than 900 for pads and caliper kit.

I am aware that there are some negative comments about the W6A, but after running Porsche GT3 brakes on my 944LS1 track car, I can tell you that they stop the C5.

I did not upgrade the rear calipers or rotors since too much rear bias is not a good thing. I will just run a lesser pad on the rear at the track.

The problem with the C6Z calipers is that you have to remove them every time pads need to be replaced, not appealing at the track.

YMMV

Thanks for the props. The W6A is the forerunner to the now Aero6 and while it remains "stiffer" by way of it's fixed mount bridge it is no longer top loading...thus requiring the removal of the caliper from it's mount to service the pad set. These kits are available either by themselves or in conjunction with rear caliper kits also starting at only $889 today making them an exceptional value.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Far better values here for the dollar

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...te-c6/kits-36/

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...te-c6/kits-36/

Last edited by NemesisC5; 02-18-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 366 Likes on 313 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

What are your goals? Will you run HPDEs with the car? Do you want to keep stock C5Z wheels?

I have a Stillen AP kit 14" 6 piston front 13" 4 piston rear, and had a MovIt kit using Brembo "Big Red" 4 piston calipers up front with stock diameter ~13" (I know they're 12.8 or something) rotors on my old FRC with stock rears. The Stillen kit is crazy amazing and the MovIt kit was a very substantial upgrade and on the street I would put it almost as far as seat of the pants feeling with the Stillen kit on the street but at a track the bigger kit will brake better longer.

The C6Z if picked up used is a nice upgrade if you are willing to put 18"+ diameter wheels up front and not tracking the car. I would not buy the C6Z brakes new. The C6Z does have the advantage of being able to order pads and rotors at your local parts house. Price consumables (pads/rotors) with any kit you consider.

If you want to keep stock 17s up front I would suggest an Essex AP T1 kit or LG G stop kit both can run stock rotors and should clear the factory C5Z wheels without spacers. My college roommate is on the Essex kit and it is very nice. He picked it up used out of the C5 autox classifieds. I also picked up my old MovIt kit out of the C5 parts for sale years ago. The Stillen kit on my current car was purchased by the prior owner.

Last edited by 93Polo; 02-19-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Brakes on a C5Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] C6Z Brakes on a C5Z