Sponsored by:

[Z06] Headers first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Jimb416
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headers first?

I have a stock '01Z and I have the cash to start bringing it to life. I am wondering if anyone has started doing long tubes and an X pipe but leave the titanium exhaust? I know it probably won't really be much louder but I would follow that up with some mufflers soon enough, honestly I'm not sure about mufflers yet but plan on going with Texas Speed 1 3/4" headers and X pipe. Maybe some of you have pros and cons from experience? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
JALLEN4 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 PM
BuckFarack
Intermediate

I've got ARH 1 7/8 headers with the stock Ti exhaust. It's quiet at idle and sounds great when you get on it.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Jimb416
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BuckFarack
I've got ARH 1 7/8 headers with the stock Ti exhaust. It's quiet at idle and sounds great when you get on it.

So what did you do that you went with the 1 7/8" headers? Do you have a cam or anything else going on?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:29 PM
BuckFarack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimb416
So what did you do that you went with the 1 7/8" headers? Do you have a cam or anything else going on?

supercharger and cam
Old 02-19-2017, 06:34 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Plenty of people do LT's and keep the stock ti, that's what I did last year, I do have the ti bypass mod too. I love the sound, a little louder than stock at idle and up to 2500-3k. 3k to redline it really screams, I love the sound. No drone at all while cruising at 65 and up. If you want to wake the neighbors and scare young children then you probably want something aftermarket.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Had my 04Z 3 years. Put Texas Speed headers, MagnaFlow cats and X on during the first winter (and a MO tune from TSP as well). Great power and drivability improvement as expected.
Idle is maybe a tiny bit louder, definitely a bit louder when hitting it, and the sound thru the Ti's is great (if not perhaps a bit queit).
Old 02-19-2017, 09:23 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a stock '01Z and I have the cash to start bringing it to life. I am wondering if anyone has started doing long tubes and an X pipe but leave the titanium exhaust? I know it probably won't really be much louder but I would follow that up with some mufflers soon enough, honestly I'm not sure about mufflers yet but plan on going with Texas Speed 1 3/4" headers and X pipe. Maybe some of you have pros and cons from experience? Thanks.
IMO, I think Intake and headers should be the first mods. You'll get a lot from those two mods.

I'm going to do a clutch first, because its going to be harder after LT headers. I already know I'll need it with my end goals, and if I do headers before the clutch.. I'll have to remove them. So for me, clutch is the best first mod.

For simple first mods, go aftermarket intake and long tube headers. You'll also need a tune.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Long tubes and an off road x will be significantly louder even with stock Ti exhaust. It is actually a very popular setup, and the only reason to really change the exhaust on a C5Z is if you want an even more aggressive sound as they make minimal if any horsepower difference.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:25 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Stock stock?
Get rid of the rubber shifter, then headers, cats, X pipe, muffs, intake (Vara Ram.)
Lower asap, mod mod mod

frank
Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Stock ti's flow great and are super light but just too quiet at low rpm's. I was pleased with what my car dyno'd with lt's, high flow cats, xpipe and stock ti mufflers.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a Vararam, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, no cats, and the exhaust bypass mod and the car was loud.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Cheesecake 07
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Kooks 1 7/8's, 3" catless X, Halltech Venom intake and a tune netted me 30rwhp/25rwtq over bone stock.

Car sounded so much better, lost about 20lbs and even got better MPG. Literally no downside.

Somebody mentioned a clutch...that 30hp was enough to get my clutch to hate life. Pedal was stuck to the floor after every 3-4 high rpm shift. Just heads up.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:35 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by bwill03z
Stock ti's flow great and are super light but just too quiet at low rpm's. I was pleased with what my car dyno'd with lt's, high flow cats, xpipe and stock ti mufflers.
What RWHP did you make with those mods?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:46 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 00__vette
what rwhp did you make with those mods?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:01 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Wow! That is really great power.. makes me really excited to get me a set of LT's.

Is that all you have is Headers, X-pipe and a tune? No CAI, ported TB or anything like that?

Last edited by 00__Vette; 03-04-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 00__Vette
Wow! That is really great power.. makes me really excited to get me a set of LT's.

Is that all you have is Headers, X-pipe and a tune? No CAI, ported TB or anything like that?
Yeah definately, I was shocked at how much a set of LT's woke the car up... well worth the money. I also have a Vararam cai but thats it, everything else is bone stock... other than NGK plugs and GMPP wires.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:44 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Yeah definately, I was shocked at how much a set of LT's woke the car up... well worth the money. I also have a Vararam cai but thats it, everything else is bone stock... other than NGK plugs and GMPP wires.
I have only a VR intake right now, looking at LT headers. I was saving up for a clutch kit and to pay for the labor, but I'm really wanting to just say screw it and grab some headers.

Problem is, I have a bit of issues now with my stock clutch and I know with more power I'm going to have more issues with my clutch. First world problems, huh? LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Headers first?

Old 03-04-2017, 10:12 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 00__Vette
I have only a VR intake right now, looking at LT headers. I was saving up for a clutch kit and to pay for the labor, but I'm really wanting to just say screw it and grab some headers.

Problem is, I have a bit of issues now with my stock clutch and I know with more power I'm going to have more issues with my clutch. First world problems, huh? LOL
Haha yeah I know right! What's wrong with your stock clutch? I think it's recommended to upgrade from stock if you're making over 400rwhp. I plan on getting a cam in the near future so I will be clutch shopping too. As far as the LT's I wouldn't blame you for going ahead and getting them. If I had it to do over again I would spend a bit more and get either Kooks, American Racing, etc... I had to have the o2 bung capped and redrilled on the pass side because it was way to close to the starter.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:42 PM
00__Vette
Racer

Haha yeah I know right! What's wrong with your stock clutch? I think it's recommended to upgrade from stock if you're making over 400rwhp. I plan on getting a cam in the near future so I will be clutch shopping too. As far as the LT's I wouldn't blame you for going ahead and getting them. If I had it to do over again I would spend a bit more and get either Kooks, American Racing, etc... I had to have the o2 bung capped and redrilled on the pass side because it was way to close to the starter.
I took the car to the drag strip after I installed the VR intake and during my first pass I did a little burnout to scrub the tires. I must have burnt the clutch because during that pass, the RPMs went up but I wasn't accelerating. I let it cool down and was able to make a couple ok passes. That was on stock tires and I lifted the throttle between shifts. If I had kept the throttle floored during shifts, I think it would have been worse.

But another time I was on the highway and downshifted then went wide open throttle. During my 3-4 shift, once I left the clutch off, the RPM's hung before the clutch grabbed and then finally I started to accelerate. It was brief, but shouldn't have happened.

I fear if I add some DR's at the strip I'm gonna be screwed.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:13 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Exhaust + manifold = tune

Quick Reply: [Z06] Headers first?