Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Wife suggested trading the C5Z for a '17 ZL1. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:32 PM
orangerun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Niemienator
She truely is your better half. Stopping posting and go pick it up already....
Happy wife, happy life.
If you been married long enough you know there is no such thing as a happy wife...lol.

44k c5Z are going up in value. Not sure if the ZL1 value will hold over the short term ?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:01 PM
79stickshift
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerun
If you been married long enough you know there is no such thing as a happy wife...lol.

44k c5Z are going up in value. Not sure if the ZL1 value will hold over the short term ?
I paid $18k 2 years ago for the car. I'm fairly certain I can get north of $20k now
Old 02-24-2017, 10:01 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope...it's a Crapmaro no matter what's under the hood. Of course this is coming from a Ford guy who happens to like Corvettes. I personally wouldn't own any other GM product other than a Corvette. Government Motors and Dudge took the bailout from Obammy and Ford made it through on strong business principles on their own. Corvette is the only Cheby brand I will own because it's in a class all of it's own. ;-)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 PM
79stickshift
Advanced

Originally Posted by WannaC5Z
Nope...it's a Crapmaro no matter what's under the hood. Of course this is coming from a Ford guy who happens to like Corvettes. I personally wouldn't own any other GM product other than a Corvette. Government Motors and Dudge took the bailout from Obammy and Ford made it through on strong business principles on their own. Corvette is the only Cheby brand I will own because it's in a class all of it's own. ;-)
well I can go ahead and not care about any of your future comments.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:41 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Need pics of wife to decide if her opinion matters...

Lot of guys covet a C5z as its a modern classic. You already own it, sad you're getting tired of it. Somewhere out there a guy is tired of his Gen2 Viper GTS and someone else tired of his Ferrari 355... sad.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:49 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by edram454
there is one problem with the zl1. Its a camaro. it is as big as a house. it will by no way feel like a c5z. it is heavy as hell. Only a corvette will be a corvette. I have had 1200 hp pony cars... it was still a pony car. you will miss that c5z. stick a blower on it and go dust off a zl1.
Evidently, you failed to read how this thing performs. This ain't your run of the mill Camaro. Beat many super cars on the Nuringhberg Ring.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/24/c...burgring-time/
Old 02-25-2017, 03:05 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It appears some folks still ain't up to speed on ford being bailed out...
Old 02-25-2017, 04:33 AM
orangerun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 79stickshift
I paid $18k 2 years ago for the car. I'm fairly certain I can get north of $20k now
Same here. I paid 18k last year for mine, with 66k miles. I see them going for $22k now in my area. I don't drive it much, I guess it depends on whether you collect a car and want to maintain value or want to drive it an enjoy it that way.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:16 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'd do it to make my wife happy (kidding)and I'd let her know it's just because you loved her that your doing this...

After a few months of loving the ZL1 out loud....I'd be saying how badly I was missing that two seat corvette z06 for many many years out loud....in a nice way of course...just to torture the wife...and then get stiff upper lip and say your glad you listened to her advice to get rid of the z06....(we don't get too many things to torture our wives with so just consider playing along)

Hell yes....the ZL1 is awesome...I'd get the new ten speed automatic ..it's supposed to be the fast ride around the track and strip...

I'm sure the manuals cool too..your choice..Drive both and let us know what you go with and how you like it.

Btw 20 years of driving c5 s,z06 s and c6 s and my wife never drives in them. I bought her trucks and caddys and when we go out we take her car...

Too low, too loud, too harsh.....just whining away and I tend to just laugh...and just take her car.

I have a tesla model 3 on order (reservation) for her and I think with autonomous mode and ludicrious mode it should be pretty cool...for family outings...

Happy wife...happy life

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-25-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:53 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

As stated here, it will still be a Camaro. Big and heavy. And even thought the new ZL1 might be the best one yet, it doesn't look as good as a C5Z.

I would either mod the hell out of your existing car, or buy a C7 with a supercharger. I've seen 2014s modded like this all day under 50K.

Shakey
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
It appears some folks still ain't up to speed on ford being bailed out...
What do you mean? Ford was the ONLY company that refused government money. They saw the collapse coming and mortgaged their headquarters a couple years before so they had cash on hand to weather the recession.
GM took money, filed bankruptcy and the principle bond holders got screwed due to government intervention. Normally they would have claim to assets but not this time thanks to O6ama. Similar deal with Chrysler which in the end is now mainly owned by Fiat.

So.... Ford was bailed out?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
What do you mean? Ford was the ONLY company that refused government money. They saw the collapse coming and mortgaged their headquarters a couple years before so they had cash on hand to weather the recession.
GM took money, filed bankruptcy and the principle bond holders got screwed due to government intervention. Normally they would have claim to assets but not this time thanks to O6ama. Similar deal with Chrysler which in the end is now mainly owned by Fiat.

Exactly correct!

Shakey
Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The c5 z06 is a cool ride....but the new ZL1 is crazy fast....

Enjoy your new ride
Old 02-25-2017, 11:52 AM
ZEEZERO-6
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh

This is why I would never own a FORD, he was an anti-Semite, Hitler idol him and wrote about him in Mien Kampf = http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/pages...nspiration.htm
Old 02-25-2017, 12:28 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by ZEEZERO-6
This is why I would never own a FORD, he was an anti-Semite, Hitler idol him and wrote about him in Mien Kampf = http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/pages...nspiration.htm
You'd be surprised how many people were rooting for Germany and Hitler before the war. He was rebuilding and lots of big companies were in bed with Germany.

Fine, Ford was bigoted.... how long has he been dead? Ford is controlled by shareholders.

The Founding Fathers of our country owned slaves.... do you hate America because of their actions?

There are two sides to every coin.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM
79stickshift
Advanced

I'd consider modding the suspension in the event I keep the car, but at this point, she gave me the "OK" to go ahead on a ZL1 and I'm pretty sure I'll be going that route within the year.

I've done the modded car thing before, and it just seems to feel like I'm constantly finding the next "weakest link" and having to change out more stuff. Truth be told, I'd be fine turning the C5 into a full blown track monster if I had another car to drive in the canyons on the weekend. My Durango doesn't cut it there.

The C5 is aging well for the most part aesthetically, but it still is a 20 year old design. It's certainly aging better than my '02 Trans Am did.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I'd consider modding the suspension in the event I keep the car, but at this point, she gave me the "OK" to go ahead on a ZL1 and I'm pretty sure I'll be going that route within the year.

I've done the modded car thing before, and it just seems to feel like I'm constantly finding the next "weakest link" and having to change out more stuff. Truth be told, I'd be fine turning the C5 into a full blown track monster if I had another car to drive in the canyons on the weekend. My Durango doesn't cut it there.

The C5 is aging well for the most part aesthetically, but it still is a 20 year old design. It's certainly aging better than my '02 Trans Am did.
If going with a Camaro I would hold out for this 18' model:

http://www.superchevy.com/news/1702-...e-a-wild-ride/

Although I love my C5Z, I also don't have to shuttle the kids in it and only use it for the track. The 2018 ZL1 1LE is going to be a monster....it will literally run the Ring 45 seconds faster than what I read the C5 Z06 did. There is no way to make 650 hp in a C5 and keep it reliable as a comfortable cruiser and not overheat on the track....with a new Camaro you have a full warranty with no headaches and more power than you can put to the track coming out of corners.

The 1LE version will probably hold its value a little better than the standard ZL1, also.

Good luck with your choice....good to be you

Get notified of new replies

To Wife suggested trading the C5Z for a '17 ZL1. Thoughts?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:14 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I think you're selling that car short, It did just run a 7:29 at the Nurburgring. Before anyone says "Who takes the car to the track?" I will say I go upwards of 4 times per year, and its a big factor in purchase price (it's the primary duty of my C5Z at this point). Plus it gets hard to justify a car for $65k at this point in my life that cant fit a kid in the backseat.

Yes, the Grand Sport is only a few thousand more, but the ZL1 is actually faster around Willow Springs. What is the most tempting is a C7 Z51 for $10-15k less than the Grand Sport, but again is a harder sell to the wife than a car with a backseat (however minimal it may be).

She even tried to get me to pull the trigger on an M3 at one point.
Go drive one and decide. Its really the only way to tell if its worth it. Personally I cant stand 5th gen camaros based on how they drive, but I've never been in a 6th gen, and certainly not a ZL1. My friends old 500rwhp heads cam camaro didn't do anything for me, but again it was a 5th gen. Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:50 PM
79stickshift
Advanced

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Go drive one and decide. Its really the only way to tell if its worth it. Personally I cant stand 5th gen camaros based on how they drive, but I've never been in a 6th gen, and certainly not a ZL1. My friends old 500rwhp heads cam camaro didn't do anything for me, but again it was a 5th gen. Good Luck!
that's the plan. I've driven a 6th gen SS (non 1LE, auto, non mag ride) and it was a huge improvement from the 5th gen. Not enough to get me to give up the C5Z tho.

looking forward to driving the ZL1 tho! I'm fairly certain I'm not interested in the auto.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 PM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a C5 Z06 (367 rwhp) and a 5th Gen ZL1 (600 rwhp). Both great cars.

Last edited by HT1663WB; 03-01-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wife suggested trading the C5Z for a '17 ZL1. Thoughts?