Sponsored by:

[Z06] Looking for a new exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 04:24 PM
dylans
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for a new exhaust setup

I'm trying to track down the most aggressive sounding exhaust for my Z. I would like it louder than stock of course. So far I've found that the Corsa Xtreme is where it's at. But the price! I'll pay it if I have to, but I'm also considering having 2 Dynomax race bullets welded into the H pipe and running straight pipes out of them all the way back. I've also considered having turndowns come off of the bullets under the car. The 24246 model to be exact.

I've searched around but haven't seen it done, or at least not documented, on a c5z.

Any insight or other recommendations? Not concerned with "drone" really.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:53 PM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dylans
I'm trying to track down the most aggressive sounding exhaust for my Z. I would like it louder than stock of course. So far I've found that the Corsa Xtreme is where it's at. But the price! I'll pay it if I have to, but I'm also considering having 2 Dynomax race bullets welded into the H pipe and running straight pipes out of them all the way back. I've also considered having turndowns come off of the bullets under the car. The 24246 model to be exact.

I've searched around but haven't seen it done, or at least not documented, on a c5z.

Any insight or other recommendations? Not concerned with "drone" really.

Thanks!
If you can find some used GHL Bullets that may fit the bill nicely.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

LG Pro Longtubes and B&B Bullets. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 02-28-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Potent68
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ages ago a buddy was running true duals on this LS1 F-body that had bullets and dumped in front of the rear axle. It was extremely loud. I thought it almost sounded like Nascar.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

From youtube videos I've watched B&B bullets, slp loudmouth, corsa extreme and ghl bullets are among the loudest. I have Borla Atak and it's aggressive but def not the loudest... sounds fantastic though.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:28 PM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Why don't you just do electric cutouts in the x pipe. That's what I did...as loud or quiet as you want at the push of a button and cheaper than most exhaust systems...I have Texas speedway longtubes, catless x pipe with e cutouts into the stock titanium exhaust. I think it sounds amazing....
The following 2 users liked this post by ApexerER:
dylans (03-01-2017), nsogiba (03-04-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 04:04 PM
dylans
Instructor

The slp loudmouth has caught my attention. The price is certainly better than the corsa. I've read they are extremely loud. Are they really that bad? Deafening? A lot of stuff around says they're unbearable.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:05 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by ApexerER
Why don't you just do electric cutouts in the x pipe. That's what I did...as loud or quiet as you want at the push of a button and cheaper than most exhaust systems...I have Texas speedway longtubes, catless x pipe with e cutouts into the stock titanium exhaust. I think it sounds amazing....
I thought about cutouts but there are specific ordinances in my city that says no to them...

As long as I have "mufflers" by definition, I'm ok.

Last edited by dylans; 03-01-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

The slp loudmouth has caught my attention. The price is certainly better than the corsa. I've read they are extremely loud. Are they really that bad? Deafening? A lot of stuff around says they're unbearable.
Loudmouth 2 is quieter than the original.

I had the original SLP Loudmouth on an 02 Mustang GT I owned a long time ago. It was loud, but easily bearable. The problem, at least in that car, was the drone. Any time I went up a hill and the engine had a good load on on it, the bass drone was just insane. THAT was borderline unbearable. I'll never go SLP again. Maybe it's better in the Vette, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
dylans (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:12 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Loudmouth 2 is quieter than the original.

I had the original SLP Loudmouth on an 02 Mustang GT I owned a long time ago. It was loud, but easily bearable. The problem, at least in that car, was the drone. Any time I went up a hill and the engine had a good load on on it, the bass drone was just insane. THAT was borderline unbearable. I'll never go SLP again. Maybe it's better in the Vette, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
I haven't seen a loudmouth 2 for the c5. It's so hard to make this choice without knowing what anything will be like in person. Videos just don't cut it I'm sure. So many of the videos are of modified cars. Mine isn't, so they're bad references even further.

I've always liked the corsa xtreme, but is it loud? Is it aggressive? The SLP seems to be those things guaranteed, but are they too much? I've also never heard what drone is, so drone or no drone between systems, it's meaningless to me. I guess it's all mostly subjective. Oh these first world problems...
Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

A friend of mine put Loudmouths on his car and took them off in the same day. He couldn't stand the noise. Sounds like what the OP wants.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought about cutouts but there are specific ordinances in my city that says no to them...

As long as I have "mufflers" by definition, I'm ok.
You would have mufflers by definition...lol....You would just be dumping the exhaust before them....and if you get pulled over you can close them up and say....."wasn't me"
Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by striper
A friend of mine put Loudmouths on his car and took them off in the same day. He couldn't stand the noise. Sounds like what the OP wants.
Definitely not. Although the price is less for the SLP, I don't want to risk it. I have a feeling that they're just too much, from what I've read. No returns on exhaust systems and 700 is a lot to waste on something I may hate same day!

I'm leaning toward the corsa xtreme. Although pricey, they seem to be the loudest and the best designed as far as "drone" cancellation, from what I've read. Just by looking at their design I can tell they'll be much louder than stock. I can wait for a used set too if I want!

Originally Posted by ApexerER
You would have mufflers by definition...lol....You would just be dumping the exhaust before them....and if you get pulled over you can close them up and say....."wasn't me"
I'm not sure though if they do visual checks all the time though. On other cars I've owned they have. With mirrors down the length of the car. On a lifted truck I owned they got almost under it to check things out. They're tempting anyway though haha!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

I'm fairly confident the Corsa's won't be what you're looking for in regards to agressive and loud. However, they are one of the best, most refined exhaust systems on the Vette and nearly guaranteed no drone.

I still think the B&B Bullets are right up your alley. Also, I'd be careful about doing cutouts. There are a handful of people that have damaged their leaf springs due to the heat. It would be smart to do some research on it to decide the best way/position to dump that hot exhaust.

Drone is a resonating sound that can be heard/felt in the cabin. When you experience it, you'll definitely know. On my Mustang, it was so bad my whole interior felt like it was vibrating. Imagine a loud bass tone held at one consistent note, so loud and low that it hurts your ears. That's what that car was like, but of course it could be at any frequency and at different RPM's. Some people have it at basic cruising speed, and that's the worst. My bullets don't do that, but, for what it's worth, I installed LG longtubes at the same time.

When you want loud, agressive exhaust that still has a somewhat clean sound...it gets tough. A lot of them get nasty with rattling, crackling, and raspiness when you crank it up. I have a ton of videos showcasing the bullets and can share them if you want. Good luck!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 03-02-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:07 PM
dylans
Instructor

I'm fairly confident the Corsa's won't be what you're looking for in regards to agressive and loud. However, they are one of the best, most refined exhaust systems on the Vette and nearly guaranteed no drone.

I still think the B&B Bullets are right up your alley. Also, I'd be careful about doing cutouts. There are a handful of people that have damaged their leaf springs due to the heat. It would be smart to do some research on it to decide the best way/position to dump that hot exhaust.

Drone is a resonating sound that can be heard/felt in the cabin. When you experience it, you'll definitely know. On my Mustang, it was so bad my whole interior felt like it was vibrating. Imagine a loud bass tone held at one consistent note, so loud and low that it hurts your ears. That's what that car was like, but of course it could be at any frequency and at different RPM's. Some people have it at basic cruising speed, and that's the worst. My bullets don't do that, but, for what it's worth, I installed LG longtubes at the same time.

When you want loud, agressive exhaust that still has a somewhat clean sound...it gets tough. A lot of them get nasty with rattling, crackling, and raspiness when you crank it up. I have a ton of videos showcasing the bullets and can share them if you want. Good luck!
I'd love to see some vidoes! Thanks for the input too!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:13 PM
dylans
Instructor

These sound pretty good! Skip to 58 seconds.

Last edited by dylans; 03-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Corsa never sounds bad, that's for sure.

A few B&B Bullet. Variety for a good sample.

Flyby

In car - Doing mic testing

My friend stealing the keys when I wasn't looking
dylans (03-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a new exhaust setup

Old 03-02-2017, 12:50 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with CCE "Powerstick" chambered mufflers mounted aft of the X-pipe in the center tunnel area and straight pipes aft of the mufflers to the back of the car and welded on some stainless steel tips with built in resonators. Car sounds amazing and I get compliments all the time.
There are pictures and videos in the "sights and sounds" area of CCE's website. CCE is Classic Chambered Exhaust.

Jimbo
dylans (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:51 PM
dylans
Instructor

Corsa never sounds bad, that's for sure.

A few B&B Bullet. Variety for a good sample.

Flyby
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLi...&v=DNOF-7K6fck

In car - Doing mic testing
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vIWuq4sVHz8

My friend stealing the keys when I wasn't looking
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVGPNTtNw8g
That is very loud. Sounds really good! I've added them to my list, thanks!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:59 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZZOOM06
I went with CCE "Powerstick" chambered mufflers mounted aft of the X-pipe in the center tunnel area and straight pipes aft of the mufflers to the back of the car and welded on some stainless steel tips with built in resonators. Car sounds amazing and I get compliments all the time.
There are pictures and videos in the "sights and sounds" area of CCE's website. CCE is Classic Chambered Exhaust.

Jimbo
Interesting setup. Almost like my dynomax bullet idea. Nice to see it's been done! I checked out the site and they do sound really great. It's only getting more complicated haha. Doing a custom setup like yours or the dynomax would definitely be the cheapest option.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Looking for a new exhaust setup