Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Thinking of getting a C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to wait for the right one to pop up for sale. Every month that goes by just "ups" my budget. Was looking at ads from late last year, and there are some cars that were a steal for the price. Hopefully one will show up within the next few months.

I do have one question though. Is there any way the insurance company would find out about possible modifications; thus increasing monthly cost?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:10 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lobamotive
I'm going to wait for the right one to pop up for sale. Every month that goes by just "ups" my budget. Was looking at ads from late last year, and there are some cars that were a steal for the price. Hopefully one will show up within the next few months.

I do have one question though. Is there any way the insurance company would find out about possible modifications; thus increasing monthly cost?

No, not unless you list your mods here and your agent happens to be a member of the forum. . Honestly though the only time they may say anything about mods is if you are in an accident and one of their adjusters is checking out your car. Other than a turbo or s/c not sure they would even recognize most other common mods.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

you can tell them for one

if you don't the $25k car you buy with mods might book at 19-20 which is what you get if it's ever totaled
Old 03-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

OP I had a G8 GT... my advice to you is to keep it and mod it. I/H/C and that 6.0L is a serious threat to most other cars
Old 03-15-2017, 04:46 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy13
OP I had a G8 GT... my advice to you is to keep it and mod it. I/H/C and that 6.0L is a serious threat to most other cars
I've thought about it, but at the end of the day it's still a 4100 pound car with an automatic transmission. I think if I were to mod it, I would end up spending too much for my own good to get it where I want it.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Well keep thinking it over. Your capable of a mid to low 13 right now with just an intake and a tune. Longtubes and a Cam wont set you back too much and that should put you very low 12's...stall it your high 11's.

I wish I would have kept my G8 GT. That 6.0L is a brute.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:04 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

I've thought about it, but at the end of the day it's still a 4100 pound car with an automatic transmission. I think if I were to mod it, I would end up spending too much for my own good to get it where I want it.
they are straight line cars. if you like a balanced sports car, this is true, the G8 will never be one

they can however go down the 1/4 mile really fast with some work
Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 AM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Another previous modded up 09.5 G8 GT owner here. Great car some regrets but my 04Z06 is not my daily driver and this is part of the deal I made and I would not change it. Never used the G8 to haul wife and 1st kid so the Z06 works for me typically use my wife's vehicle.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I bought my an '02 Z last year with only 19K on the clock with a Magnuson SC on it with tune and exhaust, flawless condition for 24K. Great bang for the buck, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
tbrent (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

That's why I'm here in the C5 section. Not ready to drop $35k+ on a stock C6Z that could probably be blown away by a built $25k C5Z.

And who doesn't love the FRC styling?
Actually, a C5z is dog meat compared to a C6z. I owned both at the same time. Just sold the C6z though.

The gearing and redline of the C6z makes it a beast.

Supercharged C5z against a cammed C6z. Guess who wins every time?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 AM
tireshredder
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I suggest you test drive as many as you can. Get a feel for the previous owner and how they drove and maintained the car. I bought mine from a 70 year old man that had the car since 04. It was his baby but his wife refused to ride in it and wanted something comfortable with a back seat. He looked like he was going to cry when I drove away with it.
I test drove some other ones that had been modified and abused and I could tell the owners would be laughing all the way to the bank because they would be finally rid of the mess they made.

There is a lot of C5Zs for sale. Make a list of acceptable mods, max miles, max price, color and whatever else you want and find the one you want. Don't compromise.
I really wanted an electron blue one but bought a silver one because it met all my other criteria. I really like my car but still want a blue one.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:38 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by tireshredder
I suggest you test drive as many as you can. Get a feel for the previous owner and how they drove and maintained the car. I bought mine from a 70 year old man that had the car since 04. It was his baby but his wife refused to ride in it and wanted something comfortable with a back seat. He looked like he was going to cry when I drove away with it.
I test drove some other ones that had been modified and abused and I could tell the owners would be laughing all the way to the bank because they would be finally rid of the mess they made.

There is a lot of C5Zs for sale. Make a list of acceptable mods, max miles, max price, color and whatever else you want and find the one you want. Don't compromise.
I really wanted an electron blue one but bought a silver one because it met all my other criteria. I really like my car but still want a blue one.
This' a common occurence in the Corvette world. I bought mine in early'03 with 250 miles on the clock for my 50th birthday. I loved working on it, and have done all my own mods, minus tuning. It was just a toy, and I can't even drive it to work because my DD is used for small daily deliveries for my business. My Z hasn't even done a burnout, let alone been raced. It has been Zaino'd to death, though. Some of the advocates of buying a stock car are rather adamant with their opinions, but there are exceptions. Now, I'm facing my third back surgery, and the car only gets started, and run until it's warmed up about twice a month. 643RWHP, all the braces, clutch,etc, and only 20000 miles. Could I sell it for $30k; unlikely, but the truth is, that'd be a huge bargain for someone, as it's like a new car. The day I thought would never come is getting nearer, but parting with my baby is inevitable, so someone is going to really hit the jackpot.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Josh
Actually, a C5z is dog meat compared to a C6z. I owned both at the same time. Just sold the C6z though.

The gearing and redline of the C6z makes it a beast.
Supercharged C5z against a cammed C6z. Guess who wins every time?
I've had C6s and C5s and I bought a C5z when coming back to the corvette family because it's just that good of a car. I can't think of another car that gives more bang for the buck.

You're comparing modded cars which just means who has the bigger wallet because both cars can be modded to the end of time. I have video of destroying a direct port, very modded C6Z in my f-body. Does that make the C6Z dogmeat compared to f-bodies? I hope not.

I could buy a C7Z if I wanted but the C5Z is just too good of a platform at too good of a price to beat.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Riteaidkid84
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
Why are you looking for one with so many mods? Trust me even a c5z with just a cai, LT's and a tune would blow you away performance wise after coming from a g8. With those basic mods these are 390-400whp, at 3100 lbs with aggressive gearing, these run like no other car I've ever driven. I would definitely go with a c5z over a c6, these cars are still a serious performance car that can run with 90% or more of the cars on the road. Plus they are much cheaper to own than a c6z, especially if it comes to engine damage. I'd stick to a nice condition, lower mile (under 50-60k) near stock one. Just my .02.
I agree, reliability is key also, my previous owner did a great job, ls3 with cam and 419 rwtq and 415 hp and it's basically a table top dyno chart. Not boosted and I go from 60 to 120 on the hwy quickly it's shocking.

a boosted c5z is downright #$!&*#!@ dangerous lol
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
I bought my an '02 Z last year with only 19K on the clock with a Magnuson SC on it with tune and exhaust, flawless condition for 24K. Great bang for the buck, IMO.
I've always dig the mp112 &a later models. If you don't mind what kind of power does yours put down? Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
Why are you looking for one with so many mods? Trust me even a c5z with just a cai, LT's and a tune would blow you away performance wise after coming from a g8. With those basic mods these are 390-400whp, at 3100 lbs with aggressive gearing, these run like no other car I've ever driven. I would definitely go with a c5z over a c6, these cars are still a serious performance car that can run with 90% or more of the cars on the road. Plus they are much cheaper to own than a c6z, especially if it comes to engine damage. I'd stick to a nice condition, lower mile (under 50-60k) near stock one. Just my .02.
That's sound advice you should heed OP.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I've had C6s and C5s and I bought a C5z when coming back to the corvette family because it's just that good of a car. I can't think of another car that gives more bang for the buck.

You're comparing modded cars which just means who has the bigger wallet because both cars can be modded to the end of time. I have video of destroying a direct port, very modded C6Z in my f-body. Does that make the C6Z dogmeat compared to f-bodies? I hope not.

I could buy a C7Z if I wanted but the C5Z is just too good of a platform at too good of a price to beat.
My old '02 Firehawk with a stage4 Incon Twin Turbo kit put both my C5z and C6z to shame power wise but it was dog meat as a car compared to both.

Out of them all I still have my C5z... so I'm not a hater, just took note that a boosted one still has a disadvantage to a C6z due to certain factors. The LS7 is a truly epic engine that's all I'm saying.

Last edited by ~Josh; 05-19-2017 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of getting a C5Z

Old 05-21-2017, 02:48 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well if my shoulder doc doesn't buy my 04 Z16 with less then 50,000 miles and a brand new 620hp 416, maybe it would be the car for you?
Old 05-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Scanlon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2002 Z06 with 60k two years ago at age 25. My first real performance car (came from a 94 camaro SS). You should have no issues with crashing into a ditch unless you're just an idiot.

Mine was mostly stock minus the column lock bypass, 1-4 shift bypass, and replaced valve springs. Make sure you look into these before you purchase a c5 vette.

I daily drive my Z06 (now at 90k miles after two years) and I'm mostly into tight handling and the occasional pull on the back roads. I'm still very happy with the stock power, and am looking more into beefing up the traction and suspension (which is also very good in stock form).

Modified Z06's can be had for a deal but you lose a great deal of the personality of building it yourself. I would highly suggest getting a stock one with medium miles and just driving it for 6 months. If it needs more power, decide how you want to do it. If it needs to corner better, find and install some suspension components. Half the fun in owning my Z06 is pushing it to the limits, then expanding the limits as I learn the car.

Good luck finding the right one (also seriously get the color you want, that is my only serious regret)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM
01vetteZ!
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Scanlon;1594785055]I bought a 2002 Z06 with 60k two years ago at age 25. My first real performance car (came from a 94 camaro SS).

camaro ss came out in 96

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thinking of getting a C5Z