Sponsored by:

[Z06] Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused

Old 12-23-2002, 01:58 PM
talalhz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused

Hi guys,

I'm just confused which is a better over all car, a Toyota Supra (2JZ-GTE), or a Corvette Z06 (LS6)

http://fumetsu4.home.attbi.com/beast14.jpg
http://www.supraforums.com/attachmen...&postid=798189

[Modified by talalhz, 6:58 PM 12/23/2002]

[Modified by talalhz, 7:03 PM 12/23/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Swimmer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (talalhz)

:lurk: This should be interesting.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I think the Z06 is a better overall car. Supras are nice rides though.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:31 PM
FLYNLO
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

We hash out this discussion daily on this forum. It really comes down to what you are looking for in car. My totally biased opinion is that the ZO6 is probably more fun to drive. Even in Stock trim. The Supra can be made insanely fast(as can the ZO6). What do you want in a car???????? That is really the question. The ZO6 is quite a complete package right out of the box.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:46 PM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was confused also, thats why I have both. :D

Bud
94 Supra TT
02 Z06
Old 12-23-2002, 03:08 PM
DEAD EYE
Racer

IMO, even the non Z06 C-5 is a better over all car. Of course when talking modded, the sky is the limit. :chevy
Old 12-23-2002, 03:25 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Howdy -

Heck, I should probably just cut and paste my response from another thread of roughly the same topic, but I'll give you some fresh material :D FWIW, I had a 99 C5 and currently own a Supra.

First, what type of cars interest you? Domestic, Imports? Are you interested in forced induction? Do like having something unique? Are you concerned about cost-of-ownership?

Out of the box, the Z06 is really awesome. Bone stock it performs as well as anything you can buy (that's not some limited production, $500K Euro-pancake). When I say _performs_, I'm talking the full performance spectrum: acceleration, braking, top end, overall handling. It comes wrapped in a package that has decent creature comforts, good looks (subjective) but a so-so dealer network, and some questionable QA and build materials. You will have a full factory warranty that will (should) handle any problems that arise - which is a nice comforting thought when you hear something go "CLUNK" (you'll know it's probably not money out of your pocket). A Z06 will handle the chore of daily transportation as well as track day at Roebling Road.

Hmmm, a lot of praise from a *former* C5 owner, who owns a Supra? Well, as Agent J would say, "Let me put my thing down..."

I wanted something that was unique (roughly 6500 TT Supras in the US) - I was fascinated by what the car could do with limited bolt-ons, also with the extreme duty the stock internals can handle. The people in my small circle of friends are primarily into import cars - I find the design of Japanese cars more pleasing, from interior ergonomics to external design. I own a Lexus as my daily driver, and I liked "keeping it in the family". I thought the range of options for the Supra were more interesting than the Vette (talking cosmetic and performance items). My wife and I went to some Vette meets, and to be completely frank (or completely george...), we didn't really enjoy the company of the attendees that much. Just not my cup of tea.

I sold my Vette at a point when I could have built it up into the same performance level as my Supra - I did _not_ pursue the Supra because I thought it was a better performance platform (otherwise we'd *all* be driving mustangs). I also didn't want to start with just anything (since we all know you can build a 9-sec civic) - I wanted something that was in the upper market of Japanese performance vehicles.

My Supra is a helluva performer, and takes its share of trophies, but it would *not* be in this state of customization if it were my daily driver (whether from fear of parking lot dents, or the super stiff really-intended-for-roadracing suspension). The best daily driver Supra would be a 98, with springs/shocks/wheels, and a few bolts ons (BPU) kept in the safe margin of boost (for the stock twins) - that gives you a great performance car, and the build quality is just amazing - it will be as solid as any new car you drive off a lot.

Take care -

Old 12-23-2002, 03:38 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

I am confused too :confused: you have a Toyota Supra, your 24 years old and still a student, and you come to a CORVETTE FORUM and ask a question which is a better overall car, I am sure most of the members here, if not all of them will tell you a Z06. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-23-2002, 06:44 PM
stingray454
Drifting

Stock vs. stock, the Z06 is a superior car in every performance measurement: acceleration, braking, top speed, handling, you name it.

However, you can purchase a Supra, modify it to levels where it will out accelerate a Z06, improve its handling, braking, etc. for about the same total price as a new Z06. If all you care about is quarter mile times, then yeah, you can go faster for less money with a modded Supra. But then again, if all you care about is quarter mile times, there are better bangs for the buck out there than BPU+ Supras, and frankly better quarter mile cars too.

You'll be hard pressed to modify a Supra's suspension and braking to match or exceed a stock Z06's handling and braking capabilities. Mainly because the Supra is heavy, and weight kills in these performance categories.

But in the end, its all what you're preferences are. Z06s aren't for everybody.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Jim Swantko
Instructor

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (stingray454)

Like all these guys said... it really depends on what you want. I love my supra.... but it's far from stock.

The Z06 is one-helluva car especially for the price. It's my very close second choice behind the Supra.

You can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:05 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (DT)

(BPU)
What the heck is BPU?
:confused:
Old 12-24-2002, 10:23 AM
stingray454
Drifting

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (CPT Z06)

(BPU)
What the heck is BPU?
:confused:
BPU is Supra jargon for "Basic Performance Upgrades." I don't know what geek came up with that acronym, but Supra people use it frequently to describe what modifications their Supra has (since most are modified these days). Then there are different levels of BPU including BPU+, BPU++, BPU+++, etc.

I don't know all the details of all the mods for each level of BPU, but I believe the regular BPU is the least expensive and includes pulling a vacuum hose to raise the boost, an aftermarket downpipe, intake, exhaust, and I think that's about it? :confused: On pump gas I think its good for about 400 to 420hp.

I'm less sure of BPU+, but I think it includes boost controller, larger intercooler, Blow off valves, aftermarket ECU, larger injectors, etc.

BPU++ gets into crazy stuff like huge single turbos running nitrous to get them spinning, head work, etc. These are the 650+ rwhp cars, but are somewhat rare and gets quite expensive with the mods.

Perhaps a Supra owner can correct/fill me in on these details.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:26 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (stingray454)

Thanks
Old 12-24-2002, 10:32 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (hcvone)

I don't think he is confused, I suspect he is trying to start something, and I for one won't take the bait.

Les
I am confused too :confused: you have a Toyota Supra, your 24 years old and still a student, and you come to a CORVETTE FORUM and ask a question which is a better overall car, I am sure most of the members here, if not all of them will tell you a Z06. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-24-2002, 10:42 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (CPT Z06)

BPU = Basic Performance Upgrades - it's kind of the "standard" basic bolt-ons that constist of:

exhaust
downpipe
boost controller (you'll see written, M/EBC = Manual/Electronic Boost Controller)

Sometimes people will write +'s after it, like BPU+ indicating extra items on top of the BPU, like a Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) and cam gears. The main concept is BPU cars retain the stock twin setup (and stock fuel system) so a BPU car can be put together pretty cheap, say $700-900 on the low side, and $1800-2500 on high side (an FMIC by itself can run $1300).

All this is intended to allow for more boost (safely) than the stock ~12psi - these cars produce pretty good HP for the cost, running 375RWHP on the low side, and up to 450RWHP on the high side for a well tuned car.

For the higher boost level, it's pretty much a given to run some race gas (and avoid detonation), but no big deal, I treat race gas like any "performance consumable", i.e., nitrous, you get extra performance when you have it, but are not totally feeble without it :D

I know a lot of people quote poor 1/4 mile times for some big HP Supras, but like any car community there are people with too much money who just *cannot* drive (which is why anyone who's done enough track time will see something like a GenII Viper that runs 13's all night :yesnod: )

Here's few BPU guys (running DR's of course) - Alfred, the last guy is running a BPU+++ setup plus a little N2O:

11.865 @ 120.02, 1.856 60' (mid 60's out, track: Fontana at 1100 ft.) BPU +

1/4 mile: Protree 11.75@116.13mph (r/t: .817 & 60ft: 1.704) @ BPU +++

11.53@120.98 on pump gas, stock clutch and Nitto dr's 1993 Red BPU+++

11.2@128 MPH 1995 Supra twinturbo stock turbos + nitrous

Take care, oh, and Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-24-2002, 10:52 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (ZO6Les)

I suspect you are right - in the other Supra thread, with the guy claiming to have a Z06 with a supercharger and top end build, I said the same thing - typical car forum tactics: claim to have the forum car and ask about another (makes you part of the community), or claim to know nothing about the forum "topic car" even though you have a whole barrage of counter arguments prepared.

Like any group of car owners (I hesitate to call them enthusiasts) there are bad representations (and seems like they're always the most vocal, unfortunately). I guess it's the downside to having an open forum, that can't pre-screen its members (but hey, at least it keeps things mixed up a little, and the :conehead 's are at least amusing...)

Take care, and Merry Christmas -

I don't think he is confused, I suspect he is trying to start something, and I for one won't take the bait.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:14 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (DT)

BPU = Basic Performance Upgrades - it's kind of the "standard" basic bolt-ons that constist of:

exhaust
downpipe
boost controller (you'll see written, M/EBC = Manual/Electronic Boost Controller)

Sometimes people will write +'s after it, like BPU+ indicating extra items on top of the BPU, like a Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) and cam gears. The main concept is BPU cars retain the stock twin setup (and stock fuel system) so a BPU car can be put together pretty cheap, say $700-900 on the low side, and $1800-2500 on high side (an FMIC by itself can run $1300).

All this is intended to allow for more boost (safely) than the stock ~12psi - these cars produce pretty good HP for the cost, running 375RWHP on the low side, and up to 450RWHP on the high side for a well tuned car.

For the higher boost level, it's pretty much a given to run some race gas (and avoid detonation), but no big deal, I treat race gas like any "performance consumable", i.e., nitrous, you get extra performance when you have it, but are not totally feeble without it :D

I know a lot of people quote poor 1/4 mile times for some big HP Supras, but like any car community there are people with too much money who just *cannot* drive (which is why anyone who's done enough track time will see something like a GenII Viper that runs 13's all night :yesnod: )

Here's few BPU guys (running DR's of course) - Alfred, the last guy is running a BPU+++ setup plus a little N2O:

11.865 @ 120.02, 1.856 60' (mid 60's out, track: Fontana at 1100 ft.) BPU +

1/4 mile: Protree 11.75@116.13mph (r/t: .817 & 60ft: 1.704) @ BPU +++

11.53@120.98 on pump gas, stock clutch and Nitto dr's 1993 Red BPU+++

11.2@128 MPH 1995 Supra twinturbo stock turbos + nitrous

Take care, oh, and Merry Christmas!!

Thanks for posting this. I like to learn about all makes of performance cars and nobody can deny the performance characteristics of the MKIV Supras.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused

Old 12-24-2002, 06:53 PM
Lashtal
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE]Hi guys,

I'm just confused which is a better over all car, a Toyota Supra (2JZ-GTE), or a Corvette Z06 (LS6)

http://fumetsu4.home.attbi.com/beast14.jpg
http://www.supraforums.com/attachmen...&postid=798189
[QUOTE]

Honestly?

The best *overall* of the two is a Corvette Z06...

I've owned BMW's, Porsche’s and (still own) several 70's Muscle cars. I have to say that I am *very happy* with the Z06 Corvette. Not only is it a pleasure (and down-right exciting) to drive but it is also very easily modifiable.

I like the Heritage that comes with a Corvette. I've also found that most of my friends (CEO's, CIO's, CFO's, Director's, etc.) really like the Corvette. Many of which have purchased one after taking a ride in my Z06.

In short, Buy a Z06 Vette and you will get Top Performance, Recognized Prestige and a piece of real American Heritage... :flag

:cheers:

[Modified by Lashtal, 3:56 PM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 07:03 PM
Swimmer
Racer

talalhz, did your car come with 600HP Bone Stock?
Old 12-24-2002, 08:34 PM
Z0 SICK
Instructor

Default Re: Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused (hcvone)

your 24 years old and still a student
Hey, what's wrong with that?:D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Toyota SUPRA or Corvette Z06 ??? I'm confused