Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 09:59 AM
SportBikeReplacement
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences?

I really love the honesty and blatent responses, please comment. I've ordered a 03 Gray coupe, as I love the removable roof, but I'm torn between the handling and power advantages of the Z06. Other then the FRC and the limited trunk space vs the coupes spaciousness and top-off ability, and the FRC's better 0-60's/1/4 mile times, what are some other differences? Are the removable tops really noisy? Is the suspension on the Z06 harsh on notsopleasant roads? I appreciate all responses, flame if you must. i want to make a decision shortly, as time is running out. I posted this in the C5 forum to get their opinions as well. I can still cancel the coupe for the Z. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:15 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (SportBikeReplacement)

I owned 2 convertible 00' Vettes, they were both highly modded in both engine and handling, my Z06 out of the box dead stock handled better and was faster than my convertibles, I had one convertible when I got my Z06, I could drive one car then the other on the same roads, it was not even close, while I loved the open air feel of the convertible the Z06 "package" was just the ticket for me, although at first the closed in feel of the Z06 took some getting used to, now I would not trade the Z06 for any other style Vette. You really have to own a coupe or convertible and then a Z06 to feel the differences, just my opinion. :)
Old 01-08-2003, 10:55 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously the Z06 will outperform the coupe, so the real issue is over how badly you want to remove the top. I've also got a C4 coupe, and in the past 3 years I've only had the top off twice. Personally, I just don't like all the wind and noise. If you're second-guessing your decision, there must be a part of you that's lusting for the Z... :)
Old 01-08-2003, 11:17 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

It is a little harsh on bumpy roads. Apart from the comments above, the production is somewhat limited, so it is a little special amongst Vettes. I wanted the Coupe for the reasons you mentioned. However I have very much grown to like the look of the Z06 much better than the other two - cognitive disonance at work. ;)

[Modified by SMFCPACFP, 11:20 AM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (SMFCPACFP)

Sportbike--I just completed 1800 miles in my 03 Z, and it was totally pleasant drive. And there is plenty of luggage space, if you use several soft bags packed into the whole trunk area. Almost as much as a coupe, since you don't REALLY plan to load the back of the car like it's a minivan going to Grandma's for Christmas, do you? The floorplan is the same (square feet), and thus the normal cubic footage is effectively the same when you're talking soft luggage.

And the ride isn't remotely *harsh*....it's not a C4 or a lowered ricer, after all!! Of course, it all depends upon your butt-o-meter, but I have no issues with the ride on any type of roads. There IS road noise on rough-finished road surfaces, but it's WORSE on Runflat tires that the Z's Supercar skins. My Z is substantially quieter than my 2000 FRC on Runflats.

Since you live in NY, how often will you want open air motoring? Seems to me you'll use the A/C and the heater, except for those few nice days in spring and fall. If you had a Z, you'd open the windows........

The Z is such an awesome car....and I thought my 2000 was a rocket.....until I got the 03!!

The ONLY drawback, IMHO, is the limited color options on the Z....no white, no spiral grey, no anniversary red. I don't know WHY Chebby does this to their flagship car. :confused:

I have a pal who is going through the same dilema as you. He's had a 71 'vert for 20 years....drove it on a few nice days......his wife wants to have a vert because she *thinks* they'll acutally use it (but he knows she doesn't like her hair to blow), he wants the cost of a coupe, wants the power and handling of a Z. Decisions, decisions...........

[Modified by Tracy, 12:48 PM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Rachel
Instructor

Hi
I have both and love the Z06 better. Also I find it more private with the smaller back window. The Z even looks faster than the coupe.

Rachel
Old 01-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Boomer 2
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (Rachel)

I have owned a good number of corvettes over the years, the most recent
(before Z06) was a 2002 MN6 Coupe. Performance and handling are not even in same ballpark. I love the Z06 and would not even consider anything else.
There are a few options which are not available on Z06, and the roof doesn't come off, but IMHO those are minor factors, compared with the ability of this
car to put :D one of these on your face.

[Modified by Boomer 2, 11:49 AM 1/8/2003]

[Modified by Boomer 2, 11:50 AM 1/8/2003]

[Modified by Boomer 2, 11:51 AM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 12:51 PM
JeffMc
Burning Brakes

I went from a z51 (Performance Suspension) Six speed 01 coupe (stock) to a 02 Z06

Coupe: No creaks with top(s).
Z: Feel is lighter. Quieter tires. I found the ride about the same overall.

- JeffMc
Old 01-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (JeffMc)

Also, you might want to have a look at the March issue of Corvette Magazine (not the online publication or any of the other rags....Corvette Magazine, on your newstand). They have a nice discussion of the pros and cons of the various options avaialble on 03s. Of course, the Z ain't got many options......we don't need no stinkin' options!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Mickbee
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad you posted it here. Now you will hear both perspectives... Your next post should be a poll: How many owners went from a "Coupe/Vert to a Z06" and how many went from a "Z06 to a Coupe/Vert".

Trust me, if you are wavering at all, be sure about your decision. If you regret it, it is an expensive lesson to learn. If you are spending this kind of cash for a new Vette, get what you want and what will make you happy out of the box. $45-52k is a lot of beans to spend if it isn't the car 4 U.

As I said in your other post, they are both awesome car. Another thought I will throw at you; If you are planning to mod the coupe to add the Z06 items (wheels, screens, sways, up the HP, etc., etc.) you will be at the same $$ ball park as the Z06. The mods you put into the car will not return much if you decide to sell. Another plus I found that the Z06’s brakes are far superior right out of the box. Aftermarket pads are better than the Coupes factory pads. The first couple days I drove our first Z, I was stomping on the brakes like I never drove. The Z06’s brakes throw off a ton of brake dust!!!

Let us know what you decide... Good luck!!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:11 PM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

You really, really need to go for a test-drive/ride in a Z06 before you make up your mind.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:46 PM
bully
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between the two is clear; the coupe is a FAST car, while the Z is a purebred RACE Car.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (bully)

But it's NOT a purebred race car...that's just the point!!! For all its power and poise, it's totally docile and comfortable for around town or across the country. And 25 mpg, minimum! It's no less an easy street car than the coupe or vert. On the other hand, you COULD go to a race track and take no prisoners, should you so desire. The only drawback is that you'll be spending a lot more money for nothing if you don't plan to spank it once and a while, between trips to the grocery and the opera and to visit your pal in Los Angeles.....
Old 01-08-2003, 04:16 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (bully)

The difference between the two is clear; the coupe is a FAST car, while the Z is a purebred RACE Car.
:thumbs:
Old 01-08-2003, 04:24 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (Tracy)

Unless you are a hard-core driver, the Roadster/Coupe are an awesome choice. Either one has more performance than most drivers can ever use. The Z takes that to another, higher level.

With the addition of the HUD, the Z now gives up nothing to the Coupe in terms of features and comforts, with the exception of the removable roof and the Sport Seats. The Sport Seats are nicer, but not C5 seat will do a good job of keeping you in place on a race track.

Obviously, the Z is the performance winner, and I think it also is the best looking C5. A driver who laps a bone stock Z06, vs a modded Coupe (race tires, shocks, and bars) will probably still get around faster in the Z because of the engine and gearing advantages. I will say this and probably get flamed for it: I find my Coupe to be better balanced in transitions and I think it has the more neutral chassis, when compared to an '01Z that I rented and lapped at Pahrump. The back of the Z just felt light and squirrelly under braking and cornering. But that could just have been a matter of too much rear bar on the Z, or maybe my driving ;).

For me, it comes down to the roof. I live in SoCal and have my roof off constantly and love it. I also came from a '94 Mazda RX-7, a purpose-built near race car in the spirit of the Z06 which was short on features and had a fixed roof, so I probably value the Coupe roof more than most. I can assure you that the Coupe has zero rattles and almost no flex, roof in or roof out.

I face the same dilemma you do in April. My guess is it'll be Z06 for me. That would change if the Coupes are offered with the LS6 as is rumored.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do get the coupe make sure you don't take a Z06 for a drive after or you will be so :sad:

Old 01-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences? (TTRotary)

After owning the z06, the coupes just don't look right to me anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences?

Old 01-08-2003, 06:31 PM
backtrail69
Race Director

St. Jude Contributor

z lover :flag
Old 01-08-2003, 06:50 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

I got rid of my Viper because I couldn't even go to the grocery store in it much less vacation, my coupe holds a lot of stuff and I brought it for this reason the top I can take or leave. As for 0-60 ect. I have the z51 suspension and added Vinci-Penski 16pt adj shocks, 10" x 18" frt with 285's and 11.5" x 18" rear with 335's so I can hang in there with most any Z. As for 0-60, 1/4 mile or topend, I have H/C package ATI and currently forging bottom end to turn up boost and rev limit so at 600+rwhp I can probably hang in there with the z's in this regard as well. I guess the point is you can make a coupe fast and handle but you cant take a top off a z or add additional cargo space.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:19 PM
RBuck
Instructor

I bought a 2002 coupe A4 and really liked it but a year later I got the bug for a manual transmittion. So ... now I have both. I like the coupe for the looks and the targa top in nice weather. The run flats make the ride a little harsh on certain roads and I wish I had something else than the 2.73 rear end. Now the Z is just as comfortable to me (the seats are different) but it is a real kick. It handles better and definately has more road noise but I love the sound of the exhaust. I am working on my driving skills now that it is broken in because the Z has much more power and acceleration than the coupe.

I would ask myself which I would prefer 1) looks, comfort, options, removable top or 2) one fast race car that is comfortable to drive. If I had to choose which one to keep it would be the Z. Either one is a great car so make your choice and enjoy.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Coupe Vs Z06, the REAL differences?