Sponsored by:

[Z06] Spare Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 01:36 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spare Tire?

Anyone think about adding a real spare tire to their Z06? I've been thinking about it. Maybe one of those small spares. I know it would have to fit front and back so the car would be drivable to get to safety. I'm just not to secure with GM flat kit or spare tire in a can or a patch kit. If the tire is unrepairable on the road those options wouldn't help so, a real spare would be nice. What is everyone else using?
Old 09-17-2003, 01:22 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spare Tire? (Shylor)

Then you'll need a jack and a lug wrench, that's a lot of extra stuff to carry around for a maybe. Plus it will really confuse the traction control and active handling. For me a cell phone is all I need. If the tire goes bad, I'll call a tow truck and have it towed to a safe location.
JMO,
Tim
Old 09-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Cool Ryd
Instructor

Default Re: Spare Tire? (C54TIM)

:cool: :auto: :iagree: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 09-17-2003, 04:08 PM
TJSvette06
Instructor

I think around town it's OK to have the cell phone, however if I'm traveling across country or state to state, I believe that cell phone may not work in all areas and a spare of some sort may come in handy... Just my .02 worth ;)
Old 09-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Spare Tire? (C54TIM)

Then you'll need a jack and a lug wrench, that's a lot of extra stuff to carry around for a maybe. Plus it will really confuse the traction control and active handling.
Not anymore weight than if you are going on a trip carrying luggage or even a passenger. How the heck would that confuse the traction control and active handling?

If your driving late at night and in the middle of bum **ck and your tire is beyond plugging a real spare would be nice. This would weigh all of what.....15 pounds with a jack. I'm not talking about a full tire spare.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:07 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

(How the heck would that confuse the traction control and active handling?)

The space saver spares are not the same OD, there for the tire would appear to be slipping to the traction control or active handling system when compared to the other three tires which the system is calibrated to.
Also if you are missing the tire sensor (If you have tires sensors) this to would through a code. Then you would be in limp home mode.
And for those that have F45/F55 the ride height sensors would be off, that would through another code.

A spare is not a bad idea but if you were traveling across country you would have luggage I presume? And now you have a Jack, a lug wrench and a spare. That might get a little tight with the space allotted in a Z06 or any of the other two configurations.

If you decide to go with the spare, let us know how it works for you?
How you tie all of it down, so it doesn’t become flying objects in the car.
And where you put the spare, the jack and the lug wrench?
And how much all of it weighs?

[Modified by C54TIM, 3:20 PM 9/17/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Spare Tire?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Spare Tire?