Sponsored by:

[Z06] Warning about SVO Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warning about SVO Injectors

When my engine builder (Lamar Walden) was porting out the fuel rails on the car he noticed something very interesting. The 30# SVO injectors (that I installed a year ago) are much longer from the "O" ring back into the fuel rail than a stock unit, so much so that the Ford injectors are rubbing against the metal on the backside of the rail. This is a VERY bad thing and could prevent fuel from getting to the injector and/or cause it to overheat and lock. The shorter GM injectors fit properly and would not be a problem.

So if you are running Ford injectors you might have a problem. I had an SVO 30# injector fail and take a piston with it - while road racing, and running at high speeds for a sustained period. Probably would never have been a problem in around town driving.

Thought you should know. Needless to say I would NOT recommend Ford injectors in these cars after seeing this!

Les :cheers:
Old 11-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Warning about SVO Injectors (ZO6Les)

Hey Les can you post some pictures? I have SVO 30s and road race alot. I've only had mine injectors in for about a month. What a bummer!! It's always something.

Dave
Old 11-12-2003, 07:56 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Default Re: Warning about SVO Injectors (Racin Z06)

Next time at the shop I can take a picture of the stock injector and Ford units side by side, the extra length is apparent. When you seat the SVO in the fuel rails you can actually see where they make contact with the metal, which will block fuel. Since you road race the car I strongly recommend you go with a GM injector, I learned the hard way.

Good luck.

Les
Old 11-12-2003, 10:42 PM
SQEZN BI
Racer

Does this also apply for the bosch injectors that are ford 30#.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:03 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Default Re: Warning about SVO Injectors (SQEZN BI)

To my knowledge Bosch makes all the SVO injectors for Ford, so the answer is, yes. It is the design (length) that is the issue, not the manufacturer.

Guess this is what we get for putting a Ford product in a GM car :)

Les
Does this also apply for the bosch injectors that are ford 30#.

[Modified by ZO6Les, 10:04 PM 11/12/2003]
Old 11-17-2003, 12:55 AM
FRC sexi blk
Racer

that is really stupid. i know tons of corvette guys with svo 30's in, not one single problem. I think your problem may have been caused by something else. the top of the injector is fed directly from the fuel rail, with no problems. nothing is rubbing like you described.

i've had my svo 30's in for more than a year now, and i race my car all the time. more than happy with the injectors
Old 11-17-2003, 07:54 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Default Re: Warning about SVO Injectors (cute301guy)

Well, I have personally seen where 30# injectors rubbed shiny spots on the top of the fuel rails because they are longer than stock. That is a fact. Call it stupid if you want. I ran my SVO's for over a year with no problem too, and have had them in other motors. We stuck the injectors in other fuel rails (LSx), and moved them around a little and you could see when they were rubbing (in case there some some kind of defect with my fuel rails we wanted to test with a new set - same thing). This may or may not have anything to do with why my one injector failed, I will never know. What I do know is I would never run a Ford injector in this car again. I am glad you haven't had problems, I agree many folks are running them without problems.

You roll the dice and you take your chances.

that is really stupid. i know tons of corvette guys with svo 30's in, not one single problem. I think your problem may have been caused by something else. the top of the injector is fed directly from the fuel rail, with no problems. nothing is rubbing like you described.

i've had my svo 30's in for more than a year now, and i race my car all the time. more than happy with the injectors
Old 11-17-2003, 10:38 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I've had mine for a while, no problems while running at the Ranch.

Any others with damage? This is the first case I've read about.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:44 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Default Re: Warning about SVO Injectors (TooManyIDs)

I have been on the Vette and F-Body forums for years and my "problem" is the first I have seen. The Ford injectors would be fine for street and drag strip, high speed high rev road racing is where mine failed. Anybody who has them can pull an injector and look inside the fuel rail and see where they rub.

Les
Old 11-19-2003, 11:17 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....high speed high rev road racing is where mine failed. Anybody who has them can pull an injector and look inside the fuel rail and see where they rub.

Les
That's what I tend to do at the Ranch, near or at the rev limiter.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:03 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Why not use the injectors from a supercharged 3.8 Buick that's found in Bonnevilles, Grand Prixs, Park Aves, etc?

Mark
Phoenix Performance
Old 11-20-2003, 08:05 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

Default Re: Warning about SVO Injectors (3X2)

Mark,

That is exactly the injector I am now using. Right length, same design as stock Z06 (spray and construction) and work great.

Why not use the injectors from a supercharged 3.8 Buick that's found in Bonnevilles, Grand Prixs, Park Aves, etc?

Mark
Phoenix Performance
Old 11-20-2003, 08:07 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

I would recommend a visual inspection to see if your injectors are indeed rubbing against the fuel rails, and do what you think best for you.

....high speed high rev road racing is where mine failed. Anybody who has them can pull an injector and look inside the fuel rail and see where they rub.

Les

That's what I tend to do at the Ranch, near or at the rev limiter.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:22 AM
clintw
Intermediate

Default Re: Warning about SVO Injectors (3X2)

Does anyone have specs on the Buick injectors or maybe a comparison of the Buick vs SVO vs Z06 injectors? How about a part number for the Buick injectors?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Warning about SVO Injectors

Quick Reply: [Z06] Warning about SVO Injectors