Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 vs. Viper

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 AM
No More Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 vs. Viper

How does the Z06 stack up against a mid 90's Viper? Not just in one category but in three: roadrace, drag, daily driver.

What about a Viper GTS instead of the convertible, does it compare any better?

Old 02-05-2004, 08:22 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (No More Vette)

Hello! Haven't seen you here on the forums before.
Just wondering. Do you own either a Z06 or a Viper?

Are you planning on getting one of these cars if you don't have one?

There is a great video around these forums comparing the Z06, Viper, and Cobra R. I will see if I can find it for ya!

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...7/page013.html

:thumbs:

[Modified by theblackvette, 2:56 AM 2/6/2004]
Old 02-05-2004, 08:45 AM
No More Vette
Cruising

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (theblackvette)

No, I haven't. I used to have a LT4. I'm not ready to buy a car yet, but hopefully in 6 months or so. The Z06 is acclaimed as the biggest bang for the buck both on the street & track. The Viper is more exclusive, but is it as capable? Also, most of information came from Corvette sources, so there may be a little bias to it.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:07 AM
GenerationX
Racer

What do you mean by "mid-90's" ? There is a really big difference between the 1992-1996 RT/10's and the 96+ GTS's and 1997+ RT/10's.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:54 AM
No More Vette
Cruising

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (GenerationX)

Don't know 'what I mean' :rolleyes:
Probably for the fairest comparison, the 96+ GTS.

I know a fair amount about Vettes, but not much about Vipers.

[Modified by No More Vette, 2:55 PM 2/5/2004]
Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 AM
C5 CU
Burning Brakes

before H/C my ZO6 was equal to 96+ Vipers in acceleration...but after H/C i can pull them in any gear...i can't speak in terms of road racing since i do not have any experience. Several Viper owners i have had discussions with said what they liked about ZO6s was they can easily be daily drivers while their Vipers were a bit rough, loud and hot (interior heat) to be comfortable daily drivers....but we all agreed the GTS has eye appeal.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
GenerationX
Racer

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (C5 CU)

OK, well, here is my two cents comparing a 96 or 97 GTS with a Z06. My comparisons are based on formerly having an 01 Z06. My Viper is an 02 GTS (which I think is a substantially better car in many ways to the 96-97s), but I have lots of friends with the older ones. I daily-drive my Viper, and my Z06 was a daily driver too.

Daily driver: If you are looking for comfort, gadgets and safety there is no contest. The 96-97 Vipers do not have traction control, ABS or skid control. There is no cruise control either. The climate control system is not very good, in the sense that it isn't very adjustable -- sometimes this means the air is either too hot or too cold. I have heard conflicting reports about heat inside the car. Mine does not really have that problem, but I think the newer ones have better heat shielding. I do not find the ride to be any rougher, and I think the seats are comparable in terms of comfort, with the Viper being a little better in lateral support. I think the interior noise level in the Viper is equal to or less than the Z06 -- because the rear cargo area of the Z06 is right next to the exhaust and there is nothing to block the noise, where the Viper has the gas tank between the driver and the exhaust.
I would not recommend a 96-97 GTS as a daily driver, mainly because of the ABS issue. I do know people that daily drive them, though, so it is certainly possible.

Acceleration: the 96-97 GTS typically dynos at about 410-415 RWHP and 460 RWTQ. The 02 Z06 would probably be about 350 rwhp/rwtq in a stock configuration. The Viper weighs about 300 pounds more, but also has substantially wider tires to help apply the power (335 vs. 295). I also think that the Michelin Pilot Sports are better tires that the Goodyears that the Z06 comes with, although I know there is some disagreement about that. From a standing start and given equal driver skill, I think the Z06 would be roughly equal in a 0-60. The longer the race goes, the more the Viper would have the advantage. The Z06's accerlation kind of conks out once you get over 100mph, which was intentional by GM in the gearing. The Viper pulls very hard even after 100mph. From a roll, I think the Viper would have the clear advantage in acceleration. At that point, the intertia from the added weight is not as big of a factor and the higher hp and torque numbers would dictate the outcome.

Handling: Most Corvette owners think that Vipers don't handle well. I don't agree with that, having autocrossed and tracked both cars. My impression from driving both is that they have very similar handling characteristics. However, I think the Viper is less forgiving at the limits than a Z06 is, even with the Z06's safety systems turned off. My Viper has a greater tendency for throttle-off oversteer as well. Once you get used to it, though, I think it handles just as well.

Braking: I mentioned above that the 96-97 Vipers do not have ABS. Also, their brake bias is not well-balanced between front and rear. The result is that the Z06 has superior braking, both in terms of stopping distance and braking feel. The front tires on the older Vipers lock up very easily. That's why brake upgrades are so popular among the non-ABS Viper owers. Even my car with ABS does not stop as well as my Z06 did, although the difference is not as dramatic as the older cars.

Looks and exclusivity: Not really much to be said here, this is a personal preference for you to decide. GM builds 30,000 Corvettes a year, and the Z06 looks too much like a regular C5 to be distinctive to most casual observers. The Viper is lower production, rarer, and probably gets a lot more attention. That may be good or bad depending on your preference.

That's my assessment between the two cars. If I were making the choice between a 96-97 GTS and a Z06 as a daily driver, I would get the Z06. For a weekend/track/autocross car, I would prefer the Viper. And, obviously, I preferred my 02 GTS as a daily driver to my 01 Z06. The SRT-10 would be even better, and I will probably get one of those in about 2 years.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:19 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (GenerationX)

Wow! GenerationX, that's one heck of an analysis. It will probably generate a great deal of debate (which can be a good thing). But, at least from this casual observer's perspective, that kind of detailed analysis is always greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For what it's worth, when I was in the market about six months ago, I was looking at a mint condition 01 Viper and the 04 Z06 (among others). I think that the Viper looks just AWESOME. Some people say it's a bit too "cartoon-ish." I love that. But, as a person who was looking for a car with high-end performance that could also be used as a daily driver, I personally did not think there was any comparison. One test drive of each sealed the deal. I found the Viper's interior and overall ride to be very uncomfortable. I thought the ride was harsh and the interior was not laid out very well at all. Just my $.02.

In closing, do yourself a favor. Go test drive them both, and decide what YOU like best. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:33 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats a good analysis, GenerationX :yesnod:

btw, I love vipers, they're delicious :lol:
Old 02-05-2004, 01:39 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper

Good write up except for this:

The Z06's accerlation kind of conks out once you get over 100mph, which was intentional by GM in the gearing.
100 MPH is just getting into 4th gear and the car pulls plenty hard in 4th. I would say that 5th & 6th do not pull super hard, but that is over 125 MPH.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:04 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08
Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (CorvetteKiller)

Blackvette-EXCELLENT VIDEOS

I enjoyed watching them!
Thanks for the link!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
:withstupid: and that was 01 Z06.
If it was an 02 Z06, it was much more easier for them :D
Old 02-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (mike76002)

Blackvette-EXCELLENT VIDEOS

I enjoyed watching them!
Thanks for the link!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
:withstupid: and that was 01 Z06.
If it was an 02 Z06, it was much more easier for them :D
:smash: :withstupid:
Old 02-05-2004, 08:37 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (theblackvette)

I agree. Cool video. Thanks for the post.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:40 PM
FEERD
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (mikeo)

awesome videos! Thanks blackvette :cheers:
Old 02-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (BLU-BY-U)

Nice GenerationX!!!!!! :cool:
Old 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (Zidane)

Awesome videos! THanks for the link, is it possible to save them on the computer for rewatching?

Old 02-10-2004, 06:05 PM
TZL
Instructor

As someone who has experience with both cars ( 99 Viper ACR, and 03 Z06) I would say Generation X's remarks are right on.

I think both are excellent cars, stock for stock:

Viper has better ultimate road holding and accleration (good for open track)

Z06 has more usable acceleration and handling (good for street driving)

Viper is scary at the limit.

Z06 is easy, predictable.

Viper is harsher riding, gets really hot, AC sucks (either full on or off), stereo sucks.

Z06 is better daily driver, AC works, cabin doesn't overheat, but the z06 is much noiser (with or without partition). stereo is OK, not as good as my Audis, but much better than the piece of crap in the viper.

Viper is very very very very delicate and expensive, hood costs $20k, each side skirt is $2500, front fascia is $3k.....very expensive to break... I always worry when I park the viper in a parking lot, afraid some retard will back into it with their SUV and crack my million dollar hood.

z06 is much more reasonable, i feel comfortable leaving it in packed parking lots.

Viper is better looking, gets tons of attention (good and bad) I get flashed (breasts) by nice looking women on average once a month, people love to stare at the car. My finace hates riding in it b/c she feels like people are looking at her on the freeway. She also hates that girls come up to me and ask for rides in the viper...lol.

I hate coming out to my car, after its been parked somewhere, and seeing handprints on the car and windows from where people have touched it to look inside or whatever.

I get complimented on the viper almost every time i drive it out in public.

z06 is a good, agressive looking car, car enthusiasts appreciate it, i get lots of thumbs ups from other sports cars, but the general public doesn't seem to notice it too much. Women also like the z06, but no flashing breasts yet.

I do get a compliments about once a month on it.

Overall all depends on what you want with your z06 or viper, but both are great cars, you can't go wrong with either, and if you can, get both !

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. Viper

Old 02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (TZL)

GenerationX is right on the spot.

I've looked into buying a used GTS, but the lack of ABS and unbalanced brakes that feel uneven even on a dry pavement changed my intentions since this car was meant to be driven daily - e.g. in rain.

The 01+ GTS have ABS but they were still priced a bit high for me.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
GearGrinder
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (PeterK)

Great thread, and thanks for the vid links Blackvette :thumbs:
Vipers are cool!! :cool:
Old 02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
pk2401
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 102 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Z06 vs. Viper (Rapid Transit)

Great vids.

Awesome videos! THanks for the link, is it possible to save them on the computer for rewatching?
Right click a link, click save as and save it into your computer.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs. Viper