Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] I am hearing a "lifter tapping" sound in my Z06. My dealership says it's normal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 11:51 PM
tjones
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am hearing a "lifter tapping" sound in my Z06. My dealership says it's normal??

I bought an 02 Z06 pre-owned with just over 9,000 miles on it recently. After driving it for a week or so, I noticed a noise coming from the engine compartment that sounded exactly like a lifter tapping. I hear this noise ALL the time when the RPM is sitting between 1500 and 2000 (not under hard acceleration). The tapping noise speeds up and slows down as RPM's increase or decrease, respectively.

I took the car, still under warranty of course, to a local dealership that deals in Corvette sales and service. One manager said it's probably carbon build up on the heads and would be a simple fix if so. But after having the car in the service shop for 2 days, the service mgr called and said it was just one of the fuel injectors making the noise. He explained that each cylinder has it's own injector (obviously) and that this sound is normal from the injectors.

I am no mechanic, but I am simply not satisfied with this answer. Anyone else out there had any experience with this on a Z06? I would appreciate any input or advice. This is my first Corvette ever, so I am new to this vehicle all around (except for the countless reviews I've read about them prior to my purchase). But it seems to me that I would have read about this kind of problem in Motor Trend or Car and Driver if the noise was normal. Should I go to another dealership?
Old 07-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Mike04Z06
Racer

Does it actually sound like a sticking lifter, or could it be a rasp or tap sound coming from the exhaust? These cars make a slight rasp/tap sound in the exhaust that (obviously) changes with rpm but is only noticeable at idle level or under light acceleration. Its hard to describe the sound but its more like the sound you could make with your mouth if you made a sound like this: ts ts ts ts ts ts ts ts

Dunno if that helped at all LOL
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 AM
tjones
Cruising

It sounds like the noise that is made when someone is on a typewriter, holding down one key continuously--tat tat tat tat tat. The higher the RPM, the faster the tapping noise. Usually heard between 1500-2000 RPM. Definitely not the exhaust. I had an 88 Mustang GT that did the same thing. This definitely sounds like a lifter tapping.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:02 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tjones
It sounds like the noise that is made when someone is on a typewriter, holding down one key continuously--tat tat tat tat tat. The higher the RPM, the faster the tapping noise. Usually heard between 1500-2000 RPM. Definitely not the exhaust. I had an 88 Mustang GT that did the same thing. This definitely sounds like a lifter tapping.
It is a normal sound in the Z06, you are probably hearing the fuel injectors, and we just can't hear them after 2,000rpm or so due to other noises at speed. The Z06 has less sound damping material than the coupe.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:00 AM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

Default Engine Noise

Does it sound like this?

www.brightland.com/cf/video/Z06Noise.wmv
http://www.brightland.com/cf/video/Z...WheelClose.mpg
Old 07-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Wolf Dog
Instructor

Don't ignore it although I'm not sure just how willing you are to tear things appart to trouble shoot it...but at least three of us here have had weak valve springs(that ultimately broke) with low mileage on our '02's lead to severe engine damage.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:58 AM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I can hear the rockers in my '04 with 1500 miles on it. Sounds like you describe and I would consider it normal. It is not very loud, but I do hear them.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:32 AM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the injectors, the noise never goes away. One of the most annoying things with Corvette .

P.S It still bugs me.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:31 PM
jnjboc
Racer

Hi Trent,

yes I agree with the injector statement. I have an '04 with 3k miles and have heard it since day 1. Never bothered me.

HOWEVER, get yourself a nice performance exhaust(I like Borla Stingers), and you will never hear them again
Old 07-12-2004, 02:58 PM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Is that normal?

Last edited by CraZee ZO6; 07-12-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:28 PM
johnC5
Burning Brakes

Default Piston Slap

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
Is that normal?
No. It's piston slap in one cylinder, #8 (out of spec tolerances). Sounds much like a bad lifter, can be heard when driving down the road, appears loudest at around 2000 RPM's. Under load, can also make a rapping sound, like an exhaust leak.

To test condition: Using a Tech II or similar device, cut fuel to each cylinder, one at a time, and note if the noise changes or goes away. Keep hood closed during test (to mask out injector and other mechanical noises: piston slap noise will pass right through, and can be heard inside the car with the windows up).
Fix: Rebuild or replace engine.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
WisconsinVETTE
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by #001 2001 Z06
It is the injectors, the noise never goes away. One of the most annoying things with Corvette .

P.S It still bugs me.

That and the brakes
Old 07-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Gusvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by WisconsinVETTE
That and the brakes
DITTO...on the brakes.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:37 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Injectors are pretty loud on these engines.... thats normal..
Take a large screwdriver put the blade end to the valve cover and the other end to your ear. Move it along the valve cover and listen for the knock...
This will put your mind at ease if you don't hear anything unusual from the valve train. A simple test but very effective.

mike
Old 07-12-2004, 09:20 PM
tjones
Cruising

The speakers don't work on my computer but thanks anyway.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:22 PM
tjones
Cruising

Originally Posted by Wolf Dog
Don't ignore it although I'm not sure just how willing you are to tear things appart to trouble shoot it...but at least three of us here have had weak valve springs(that ultimately broke) with low mileage on our '02's lead to severe engine damage.

That sounds pretty serious. Were you experiencing the same kind of noise I have described?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:24 PM
tjones
Cruising

[QUOTE=jnjboc]Hi Trent,

yes I agree with the injector statement. I have an '04 with 3k miles and have heard it since day 1. Never bothered me.

HOWEVER, get yourself a nice performance exhaust(I like Borla Stingers), and you will never hear them again [/QUOT

Not a bad idea! I may just do that.

Get notified of new replies

To I am hearing a "lifter tapping" sound in my Z06. My dealership says it's normal??

Old 07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

I would say, without actually hearing your car, that the sound you are describing is most likely the injectors. Mine makes it, and every other Z06 I have listened to sound just like mine, (light tapping sound with increasing intensity as RPM increases). (have listened to a total of 6 LS6 engines including my own). So I think your OK.

zo6vettepilot
Old 07-12-2004, 09:47 PM
tjones
Cruising

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will take it that the noise I am hearing is normal. I still dont like it but the car is so darn fun, I guess I can learn to live with it. I'll just turn up the radio.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Arizona Z
Racer

I have an 03 with the same sound at low rpm...have heard it on other Z's and think it is a "normal" injector sound for this car. Someone already posted a great remedy; just start a few mods, begin with LT headers and finish with new stingers

Quick Reply: [Z06] I am hearing a "lifter tapping" sound in my Z06. My dealership says it's normal??