Sponsored by:

[Z06] Routine Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:31 AM
BradJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Routine Maintenance

I took my '01 into the local Chevy dealer this morning to get the oil changed. It has about 22K miles on it and runs great.
The normal service guy that handles Corvettes wasn't there and the guy that helped me started to go off on all the things I should have done.
He told me that I needed to have the injectors cleaned, the fuel filter replaced, the tires balanced and a four wheel alignment. I also needed the brake fluid drained and flushed and the rear end fluid serviced. He then went on to say that tires should be balanced and a four wheel alignment done every 5K miles!
I will admit I tend to do the minimum servicing required, but the car runs great and the owners manual says nothing of these requirements.
So how much of this is really needed?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Mike04Z06
Racer

Most of the extra stuff they "pawn off on you" is BS. Balancing tires every 5k is the lamest thing I've ever heard, you're not even supposed to rotate them that often on a car with rotatable tires. Four wheel alignment at 5k is also absurd. That would end up costing a fortune every time you brought it to the dealer.

I believe the fuel filter should be replaced at 15k though, but the filter should cost maybe $15 and take all of about 5 minutes to replace, if it's anything like the f-body.

Brake fluid flushed and refilled is your choice..guess it depends on how hard you beat on your car

As far as cleaning the injectors goes...just throw a bottle of injector cleaner into your next 3 tanks of gas and you'll be fine.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM
JimmyZ06
Racer

Sounds like dealer rip-off!
Old 07-16-2004, 10:34 AM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Find a new dealer to service your Vette,
or find out the regular "Corvette Guy's" schedule.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:45 AM
canesfins
Pro

How many people actually get their routine service done at the dealership? I don't think I am going to because I have nothing but distrust for dealerships and I have a good mechaninc at a Meineke Car Care Center that I have always used.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:36 AM
fast4vette
Burning Brakes

they are just trying to rip you off.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast4vette
they are just trying to rip you off.

Don't you hear this very loud ripping sound????

Jim
Old 07-16-2004, 01:22 PM
CAPN17
Safety Car

He was trying to stick the grease gun into a non-zerk fitting>
Old 07-16-2004, 06:51 PM
lilesv
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike04Z06
Most of the extra stuff they "pawn off on you" is BS. Balancing tires every 5k is the lamest thing I've ever heard, you're not even supposed to rotate them that often on a car with rotatable tires. Four wheel alignment at 5k is also absurd. That would end up costing a fortune every time you brought it to the dealer.
with one caveat: if i get the 4-wheel alighment before AX, i can sometimes shave a few fractions...
Old 07-16-2004, 07:39 PM
barondw
Pro

I would certainly have my brake fluid replaced at least once per year. Safety is too important to fool around with.

Instead of asking about what should be serviced, what does the manual say suggested service intervals are? If they differ from the dealer I would go back and bitch to the General Manager.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:21 AM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Well I get the oil done at the dealer... and I am trying to get it done beofore I leave for the Z fes. It has 1,500 on it, but I want fresh oil for the trip, as I will be putting down over 2,000 round trip. I like to get it up on the lift and make sure I see eveything is checked ect... Rotation of SC tires I put my CAGS in at the dealer when the oil was being drained and the tech pointed to the front of the car for the trany Well I don't go there anymore, and the new dealer is awesome, the Vette tech is a great guy and so is the trany guy, service manager, heck everyone there. See you guys at the FES!
Dave
Old 07-17-2004, 10:58 AM
BradJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by barondw
Instead of asking about what should be serviced, what does the manual say suggested service intervals are? If they differ from the dealer I would go back and bitch to the General Manager.
The only servicing required, according to the manual, is changing the oil according to the onboard sensor(anywhere between 3K and 15K miles depending on driving conditions) or every 12 months, whichever comes first. And replacing the air filter at 30K miles. The only reference to alignment is if tires show unusual wear.
One reason I enjoy owning an American car is the lack of required/recommended servicing. I owned a Toyota once and it required having the timing belt replaced at 60K miles! If I have to replace a part like it's time for the junk yard.

The kicker to the whole dealer experience is when I picked the car up they charged me $79.95 to "inspect" the brakes. All I asked was to see if the pads needed replacing and they charge 80 bucks to tell me no.
I need to find somewhere else to take it for servicing.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:19 AM
ZO6Les
Drifting

It depends on how you drive the car - hard or easy? Do you track it or street only?

The injector cleaning is BS, run Techron gas and a fuel system cleaner every 10K miles or so and you are good.

Fuel Filter is good for 30K miles or so

Tranny and rear end fluids should be changed at least every 15K miles, more often if you track your car.

I flush my brakes before every track event, and replace the fluid in the reservoir every oil change. Cheap insurance IMO.

Also change the fluid in the clutch resevoir every oil change.

To each their own, other opinions will vary

Les
Old 07-17-2004, 03:14 PM
SoulDad570
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZO6Les
Tranny and rear end fluids should be changed at least every 15K miles, more often if you track your car.

Les
Any opinions about where to get get Tranny and rear end fluids changed? I hear lots of negative opinions about your frendly neighborhood "Quicky Lube". Should you only trust the Chevy dealer? I have a local independant garage that I trust and use for just about everything. What about them?

Ciao,

Rick
Old 07-17-2004, 04:55 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

My first choice would be to do it yourself - not hard with a hand pump or drill pump. Otherwise I would find a good local mechanic, nothing hard about it, easier with a lift. I run Amsoil in the tranny and rear, again others will have different opinions. The most important thing is to get them changed regularly. Personally I would avoid the Quick Lube's.

Les

Originally Posted by SoulDad570
Any opinions about where to get get Tranny and rear end fluids changed? I hear lots of negative opinions about your frendly neighborhood "Quicky Lube". Should you only trust the Chevy dealer? I have a local independant garage that I trust and use for just about everything. What about them?

Ciao,

Rick
Old 07-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Z06JAX
Advanced

Default Dealers

I will usually use a dealer at least until the car is out of factory warranty. If you educate yourself, and stick to what the book says they are not much more than the quick lube guys. Many service establishments will try to get you to overhaul the car every 3000 miles. I brought my BMW in for an oil change, and got a $180 bill and a bunch of BS about their 98 or something point inspection. I traded the BMW for the Z06! Your best defense is to be edj-um-ick-ated !!!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:32 AM
radz0hh6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why can't you change oil yourself? ...its a fun experience..You don't have to deal with all the BS
Old 07-19-2004, 07:02 AM
Scott04Z
Burning Brakes

Location: I'm not quite middle aged and I only own one gold chain! San Jose CA
Default Routine Maintenance

Originally Posted by CAPN17
He was trying to stick the grease gun into a non-zerk fitting>

Best line all week! I'm still laughing!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:36 AM
vmspionage
Burning Brakes