C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current C5 owner, can't fit in C6 what gives

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Current C5 owner, can't fit in C6 what gives

I stopped by the dealer this week and spent some time with a Lemans Blue C6 Coupe. I am not warmed up to buying one yet to begin with but i wanted to get some seat time to see if it was something i would be looking into moving forward.

What I am about to say is not a flame at all so please don't take it as such. I need real input.

What happened to interior head room. I have a 99 C5 now and not only is my head with the seat down and back a good 6-8" from the roof but i can stretch my legs ALL the way straight in it.

I am 6'4" and in the C6 I had my head less than 1 1/2 - 2" from the roof and this is with the seat all the way down. With it all the way back i still had a lot of my vision obstructed as i could just see the sunvisors in front of me. Not to mention forget about strectching my legs out.

This is MUCH worse than even my older C4's were.

How are you teller folks driving these things. I felt stuffed in the car. The extended family has a Ferrari Testarossa in it and i fit better in that than the C6 and that is saying something.

Please advise as at this point i could not buy a C6 even if i warmed up to the design as I can't see how driving it would be the least bit enjoyable. The whole time i felt just crammed in the car and was worried to enen change lanes.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not large in stature and I do appreciate your point.

I would not want to be much larger than I am. The main thing I notice is the rear view mirror size. I have the mirror that incorporates the compass and at times I feel it is so large that it cuts off a lot of visibility, so I can imagine being another 6 inches taller how bad it would be.

I sympahize, at least a C5 is still a great car so moving into a C6 isn't a necessity.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

While I'm not 6'4" I am 5'10". I sat in and drove a C6 and I feel it has as much room as my '04.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:53 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose a lot depends on your driving position.

I prefer an upright position, which at 6'2" with a 34" inseam, gives me about and inch of headroom with a glass top.

Good thing I like ragtops.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
redvetteC6
Drifting

Location: Huntington Beach Ca 1 out of 4 Americans are mentally unstable, so if 3 of your friends are OK . . . .
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I'm 6'3 220 and have driven P/U trucks most of my life. I drove a friends C4 a few years back and needed a can opener to get in and out.

The C6 fits me just right. I adjusted the seat to go all the way back. Then moved it all the way down. No lumbar adjustment and full bolsters. I then telescoped the wheel about three quarters out, perfect. I read the thread from a guy 6'6" and the mirror issue. All the home from work I kept looking at the rearview mirror, it hadn't bothered me before. After awhile I just didn't notice it. The car is tight yet comfortable and I can stretch the legs, clutching does get the left knee close to the steering wheel though.

Drove the other Z today, Z71 Silverado. Really quiet and spacious. I can't wait to get back into the C6.

FWIW.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:11 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

well it seems like i am not crazy at least. I tried the seat all the way down and back with the steering whel telescoped out. It's not really a good perforance driving posiion for visability plus i still am cramped.

I think my problem is i have short legs for my height 6'4" wth a 32" inseam but really without exaggerating i have tons of room in my C5 in both head and feet in fact i dont even put the seat all the way back or down. The C6 HAS to be smaller insde in these areas.

Well i hate to say it but i have always loved corvettes but unless the vert has a totally different profile it looks like i am waiting for the C7 to buy another vette. I guess if i want more power downthe road it will be a C5 Z06. I have not really warmed up to the C6 even after driving it now. I like the front end a lot but the other lines don't appeal to me. I like the interior a lot better than the C5 but i dont fit in that same damn interior.

Well thanks for the input, guess us tall people are out of luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 PM
awittig
Instructor

definitely a tighter fit in the c6 compared to the c5.

my 6'9" friend was riding shotgun this afternoon - he was all but scraping the glass top with his head & had his knees in his chest.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See, when I was a kid and all the parents were forcing their kids to eat spinach and all the other "growth foods", I refused. I said, "No. I want to be able to fit in a 2005 Corvette when I get older. I don't want to play basketball." I took my beatings like a brave little boy because I knew it would pay off one day!

Seriously, don't the specs for the C6 say that it has more room in every dimension inside than the C5? How can that be so and it not pan out in reality? Must be a driving position thing. This deserves a more "technical" look by GM to figure out exactly what contributes to this with some people over about 6'2".

Mike
Old 02-11-2005, 03:44 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
See, when I was a kid and all the parents were forcing their kids to eat spinach and all the other "growth foods", I refused. I said, "No. I want to be able to fit in a 2005 Corvette when I get older. I don't want to play basketball." I took my beatings like a brave little boy because I knew it would pay off one day!

Seriously, don't the specs for the C6 say that it has more room in every dimension inside than the C5? How can that be so and it not pan out in reality? Must be a driving position thing. This deserves a more "technical" look by GM to figure out exactly what contributes to this with some people over about 6'2".

Mike

As we age some of us gain a few more inches in the back seat
Old 02-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like my C6 vert with it's top up has more headroom than the C5 vert had.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

OK, a little different fitment problem. I currently own a C5. I'm 5'10" so I didn't have any issues with respect to head or leg room when I sat in a C6. However, my right leg rests on the side of the center console. Seems to be a lot more room in this area in the C5 as I never have had that happen to me. I can see this as being a major annoyance on long drives. Anyone else having this issue in the C6. Is the footwell area narrower in the C6?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Mag Red C-6
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

I'm 6'4", 230 with a 33" inseam and I don't have any trouble fitting in my C6 coupe after reclining the seat. I don't think my C6 is any smaller than my '00 C5 was. The C6 seat is totally different than the C5 which may be the reason you feel that there is less room in the C6. I love the C6 seat but when I wear a thick coat it's not as comfortable as without a coat.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:35 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

[QUOTE=awittig]definitely a tighter fit in the c6 compared to the c5./QUOTE]

I am 5' 9" (175lbs) and, prior to purchase, I sat in the vehicle I currently own. My butt felt squeezed, and when I lowered the seat to fully lowered, I felt the flat floor pushing on my butt (!)

No matter how I try, I cannot get as comfortable as in my other corvettes (all C5's). (I purchased the 1SB pkg. also.)

One other "gripe": The door materials squeak as I drive and especially on curvy, uneven roads. Try pushing on them when you are just sitting in the driveway, with the engine off...........it's like there is some type of plastic under the "outer rubber" panels.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:26 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mag Red C-6
I'm 6'4", 230 with a 33" inseam and I don't have any trouble fitting in my C6 coupe after reclining the seat. I don't think my C6 is any smaller than my '00 C5 was. The C6 seat is totally different than the C5 which may be the reason you feel that there is less room in the C6. I love the C6 seat but when I wear a thick coat it's not as comfortable as without a coat.
I drove for three week before I discovered the seat could go down alot further. You have to lower the rear portion first (1sb) then the front. I went from not fitting very well to perfect...without a thick jacket. 6'3" 270lbs 33" inseam
Old 02-11-2005, 09:43 PM
RX4WRK
Burning Brakes

That's why I spend so much time in the "steam room"...

and as I age..I am getting shorter...

that's why I waited so long to buy...........
Old 02-11-2005, 09:46 PM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by redvetteC6
I'm 6'3 220 and have driven P/U trucks most of my life. I drove a friends C4 a few years back and needed a can opener to get in and out.

The C6 fits me just right. I adjusted the seat to go all the way back. Then moved it all the way down. No lumbar adjustment and full bolsters. I then telescoped the wheel about three quarters out, perfect. I read the thread from a guy 6'6" and the mirror issue. All the home from work I kept looking at the rearview mirror, it hadn't bothered me before. After awhile I just didn't notice it. The car is tight yet comfortable and I can stretch the legs, clutching does get the left knee close to the steering wheel though.

Drove the other Z today, Z71 Silverado. Really quiet and spacious. I can't wait to get back into the C6.

FWIW.

Exactly the same height and weight...
C4 - Fine
C5 - Fine
C6 - Fine

Keeping my fingers crossed on the C7....
Old 02-12-2005, 11:30 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
While I'm not 6'4" I am 5'10". I sat in and drove a C6 and I feel it has as much room as my '04.
Same here!

Get notified of new replies

To Current C5 owner, can't fit in C6 what gives

Quick Reply: Current C5 owner, can't fit in C6 what gives