C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legally OK To Not Have Front Plate...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:31 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default Legally OK To Not Have Front Plate...

I've got a friend in my Corvette club who has a C6 and placement of the front plate is an issue. Since I browse the C6 section at times, I'm aware that it is an issue for many of you as well.

I recently had an encounter with an LEO who ticketed me for not displaying my front plate. He was kind enough to indicate to me where in the Revised Code of Washington (46.16.240) the law says I need to have that front plate. I thought I'd share it with you. Read the bolded section very carefully.

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles -- Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, That if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

Perhaps your state has some similar provision. It's obvious that the C6 body, as it comes from the factory, has no place to put the front plate. That might be an "out" for you who have had related encounters with your favorite LEO in your town.

Ironically, because my C5 has a place for a front plate, the above does not apply to me. Oh well... After daughter finishes college and I get my silver C6, it will!
Old 02-13-2005, 10:43 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I've downloaded a copy of this Revised Code. Next time I'am pulled over by the OSHP I'll whip it out!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:00 AM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

But the factory does ship a front license plate holder that makes it possible to mount a front license plate (very ugly way to mount the plate, but still it can mount to the front). Will anyone win the appeal?
Old 02-13-2005, 11:30 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
But the factory does ship a front license plate holder that makes it possible to mount a front license plate (very ugly way to mount the plate, but still it can mount to the front). Will anyone win the appeal?
Are you gonna tell him that?
Old 02-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Lee6
Pro

(you'd be surprised at the numbers of "by the letter of the law" types that will post up here...absolutely, 100%, never ever challenge ANY law)
Old 02-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks RedRacer....I have no intentions of mounting a front plate bracket/plate, since I live in the state...you bet, if I'm stopped I'll try it...either with the LEO or at court. Always enjoy a little interaction because in my opinion this has got to be one of the most stupid laws ever put on any states books! Hey, they get my money for the plates, if they would focus on getting some of this other crap off of the roads in Washington, I know the roads would be a heck of a lot safer for all of us. Okay, Okay, I'm getting off my soap box
Old 02-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Asterism
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
a successful appeal is unlikely in most cases. laws dont mean what the text of the law says,
in realitiy the law means whatever a judge has interpreted it to mean.
(unfortunate in many cases, but true nonetheless)
case in point:
in my state of NH when you get a traffic ticket it clearly indicates
the title/chapter of the relavant law that pertains to your violation
which makes it very easy to locate on the states website.
the law that requires NH to have both plates is as follows from the site:

261:76 Number of Plates. – Any provision of the motor vehicle laws relative to furnishing sets of number plates for various types of vehicles shall be construed as authorizing the director to determine the number of plates to be furnished for any one vehicle in accordance with his determination as made under the authority of RSA 261:75.

as you can see, it doesnt specifically say anything about "front" or "both" plates.
when you get vanity plates in NH they arrive with prominent text on the
package that specifically reminds you that both plates are required and
again quotes the same law.

several years ago when I contested a front plate ticket in my C5, I
had the fortune of being assigned to a judge that took the time to
explain how this process works rather than dropping the gavel and
sending me on my way. NHs front plate law has been contested many
times based on the text, and every time the defendant has lost
instantly, based on simple legal precedent that the intent of the law
has been interpreted to require both plates at the request of the director.

the whole purpose of the judicial branch is to interpret laws, and sometimes they dont get interpreted in our favor.
that being said, Ill be attaching my front plate to avoid another $72 ticket.

Last edited by Asterism; 02-15-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 PM
toolman44092
Pro

I don't think the C6 qualifies as a vehicle that is "impossible" to mount a front plate. Probably a losing battle.

Again, if you're in two plate state, you assume the risk when you don't run a front plate. Why all the controversy when you get a ticket?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:32 PM
jrjen2
Racer

Originally Posted by toolman44092
Why all the controversy when you get a ticket?
Less money for mods!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:44 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Mine Is

I don't think the C6 qualifies as a vehicle that is "impossible" to mount a front plate. Probably a losing battle.
Disagree. Don't know about your Vette but mine is impossible. VetteJoel has the best solution but that cuts down on air flow to the Rad. Mine is impossible. Really
Old 02-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

"HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol."

I didn't see "Butt Ugly" anywhere in that law!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:42 PM
seesix
Instructor

Originally Posted by coolcat
Ok I've downloaded a copy of this Revised Code. Next time I'am pulled over by the OSHP I'll whip it out!
You might want to just show him the revised code.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:05 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kreuzen
Always enjoy a little interaction because in my opinion this has got to be one of the most stupid laws ever put on any states books!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Road_runner
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Thanks

I plan to print this out & keep it in my new C6
Old 02-14-2005, 04:12 AM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Welcome to California. This is an exert from the Ca Vehicle code:

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:54 AM
Eddy C
Pro

Thank you for that information. In our area it's a $25 fine. Worse case scenario I'll pay the fine and go on about my bizness till I encounter the next peace officer with nothing better to do.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:36 AM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Get notified of new replies

To Legally OK To Not Have Front Plate...

Old 02-14-2005, 06:46 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Again, if you're in two plate state, you assume the risk when you don't run a front plate. Why all the controversy when you get a ticket?
If there are thousands of C6s wth front plates mounted, wouldn't that defeat the argument that it's impossible to mount a plate on the front bumper???
Old 02-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the info
Old 02-14-2005, 09:07 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two problems with this:

(1) First, it is obviously not impossible to mount a front plate since GM does offer a front plate mount and plenty of us are running them.

(2) Carrying a piece of paper in your car is not going to stop you from being pulled over in the first place. For me, I can afford a $50 ticket even if I got one per month and wouldn't care about it if I just got a "pay me" letter in the mail. The problem is being hassled by the cops, not getting a fix-it ticket. When I'm out on the road, I have better things to do than always watching my 360 for cops, trying to stay in front of them so they can't see my front bumper, and having to pull over on the side of the road in a bed of nails or a cow pasture being delayed in where I'm going.

Mike

Quick Reply: Legally OK To Not Have Front Plate...