C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it OK to use battery maintainer that plugs into cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:34 AM
mjscorvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is it OK to use battery maintainer that plugs into cigarette lighter

I wonder if I can use in the C6 my Porsche battery maintainer that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet ? I assume the outlet must be "hot" for it to charge the battery.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
u461533 (04-04-2018)
Old 03-10-2005, 09:37 AM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

I think you answered your own question if the battery is dead.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Z064life
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Seems very odd

You hook a tender that uses the battery to get a charge, in order to charge the battery.

Isn't that like trying to Jump your car with your own battery?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

hey goofball... it doesn't plug into the cig lighter to GET power... lol. it plugs into the wall a/c outlet to get power. but, instead of hooking it up directly to the battery.. or to a dedicated plug wired to the battery... the "car end" of it just plugs into the cig lighter.

my dad used to have one of those. i don't think he was ever really thrilled with it. but I don't really know how it would work in our case anyway. *shrugs*
Old 03-10-2005, 10:21 AM
mjscorvette
Racer

Default The battery maintainer is connected to house outlet and then to car

I guess some clarification is in order. The battery maintainer connects the house electric current via an outlet in the garage and it then is pluged into a cigarette lighter outlet (rather than clipped onto the battery directly). I found it very handy to not have to open the hood. Just plug into the cigarette lighter outlet (assuming it is a hot outlet) when the car was not being used for a few weeks. I think this may not work if all the outlets in the C6 shut off when the engine is shut down and placed into reverse.

Mark
Old 03-10-2005, 10:23 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by dr.david
I think you answered your own question if the battery is dead.
Originally Posted by Z064life
Seems very odd
You hook a tender that uses the battery to get a charge, in order to charge the battery.
I think you guys missed the question. I assume the Porsche unit is like the Battery Tender that you plug into the wall and then attach directly to the battery or plug into a cigarette lighter. The electricity from the wall goes through the charger, through the wires and charges your battery. The cigarette lighter will only work if is is "hot" (i.e., always on and doesn't go off when you shut off the ignition).

I assume it would work but like mjs, hope that some technically minded person can confirm it.

Alan
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Violet
..... it plugs into the wall a/c outlet to get power. .....
Violet, what's a wall air conditioning outlet?
Old 03-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Sounds like someone (a smoker ?) needs to find out if the cigarette lighter is "live" after the car has been shut down properly.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Violet, what's a wall air conditioning outlet?
10,000 comedians out of work and starving to death.. and this guy thinks he can tell jokes?

LOL LOL LOL

ps - see, the original poster clarified.. and i was right. i just LOVE being right.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mjscorvette
I wonder if I can use in the C6 my Porsche battery maintainer that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet ? I assume the outlet must be "hot" for it to charge the battery.

Mark

WOW ... sorry for all the BS you got for such a simple question.

The answer is yes. The plug in the consol and in the ash tray are hot all of the time. The device you're using with the other car should work fine.

I have a small solar panel thing I use with my boat that plugs into the cig/lighter and have never had a dead battery.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

where did he get any "bs"? he got several people, including myself that tried.. with varying degrees of success... to address his question. a joke or two thrown in as well... is bs? LOL i consider it keeping the community friendly. ehh.. to each his own i suppose... but if EVERY question in this forum was restricted to a single reply. well, i don't think there'd be many people left posting.

ah well...
Old 03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
mac6
Racer

The Cig lighter in the C6 is not hot unless the acc button is pressed or the car is started.

Peace out!
Mark
Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Mark
Mark,

The answer to your question, without all the editorial or 'funny comments' some seem prone to apply to this simple question, is NO.

As stated by mac6, when the Vette is 'shut down' there is no power to the cig lighter, thus there is no way to 'back feed' power to the battery via this 'outlet'.

I would recommend that you consider purchasing (for less than $50) a Battery Tender (r) for your particular desire.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Mark,

The answer to your question, without all the editorial or 'funny comments' some seem prone to apply to this simple question, is NO.

As stated by mac6, when the Vette is 'shut down' there is no power to the cig lighter, thus there is no way to 'back feed' power to the battery via this 'outlet'.

I would recommend that you consider purchasing (for less than $50) a Battery Tender (r) for your particular desire.
Is the same true for the power outlet in the center console?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
mjscorvette
Racer

Default Thanks to all....appreciate your help and humor!!

Thanks to all of you for your comments and humor. I am very new to the C6 (picked it up Friday, March 4th (my birthday!!) and learning every day about the car. I have owned several Porsches since the mid 80s and this is my first Corvette. Great car.

The open question is whether the power outlet in the armrest also shut down when the car is turned off??

Mark
Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
rbl
Drifting

Mark,

Wrong ...

Go try it on a C6 or on your C5 ... I have two C6's and an 04 C5 and they all are HOT ALL THE TIME. So, all three of my care are broken .... lol
Old 03-10-2005, 01:00 PM
rbl
Drifting

Thanks to all of you for your comments and humor. I am very new to the C6 (picked it up Friday, March 4th (my birthday!!) and learning every day about the car. I have owned several Porsches since the mid 80s and this is my first Corvette. Great car.

The open question is whether the power outlet in the armrest also shut down when the car is turned off??

Mark

Both are hot ... go push your cig lighter in and you have an immediate answer. It will get hot.

You will need a cell phone charger or something to do it in the consol ... but the are both hot like I said originally ...

Welcome back from the dark side

Get notified of new replies

To Is it OK to use battery maintainer that plugs into cigarette lighter

Old 03-10-2005, 02:00 PM
mjscorvette
Racer

Default rbl Thank you....the dark side was fun too and glad to be back.

After enjoying the sound of air-cooled engines and having a blast with my 993, I thought it was about time I returned to my roots of the thunder of a V8. Even though I am still in the midst of the 1st 500 miles of break in, I can tell that the C6 will redefine sport car driving for me.

Mark
Old 03-10-2005, 05:12 PM
w.f.tracy
Racer

Originally Posted by Violet
hey goofball... it doesn't plug into the cig lighter to GET power... lol. it plugs into the wall a/c outlet to get power. but, instead of hooking it up directly to the battery.. or to a dedicated plug wired to the battery... the "car end" of it just plugs into the cig lighter.

my dad used to have one of those. i don't think he was ever really thrilled with it. but I don't really know how it would work in our case anyway. *shrugs*
Give 'em hell Violet!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:31 PM
C64Rick
Advanced

when the Vette is 'shut down' there is no power to the cig lighter, thus there is no way to 'back feed' power to the battery via this 'outlet'.
The outlet on my C6 works after the car is shutdown and acc is off. ie it always provides power.

Quick Reply: Is it OK to use battery maintainer that plugs into cigarette lighter