C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Ad Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Raychell888
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Ad Campaign

Hi Corvette Lovers,

I'm a senior at UConn and am currently working on an ad campaign for Corvette for my advertising class. I wanted to hear firsthand from people who owned/liked corvettes to see how we should go about designing this campaign. If you could take a minute or two to answer a few questions I have, I'd really appreciate it.

Strengths/weaknesses?
Your perception/attitude toward Corvette?
Who are the main buyers?
Why do you love/have a corvette?
Who do you think some main competitors are?
Lastly, can you tell me a little bit about yourself so I can see what type of people are buying corvettes?

Thanks so much!

Rachel
Old 03-16-2005, 10:19 AM
ss409cid
Melting Slicks

Geeeez, must be witin a book....
Old 03-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Wrazor1
Advanced

You have a pm from me with some thoughts
Old 03-16-2005, 06:01 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Why would gm spend money on advertising
these cars sell them selfs
Old 03-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Swancoat
Pro

For God's sake - make the ads about the car's performance (mainly) and value.

Do NOT make the ads on anything near the "American Iron/Muscle" image. That is the worst thing to sell a car on.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
LGTSOTR
Instructor

First things first. Tell GM to grow some ***** and run the Guy Ritchie directed ad titled "A Boys Dream" or something to that effect. They pulled it last year in some PC appeasement move. It’s a great ad and not offensive to anyone who isn't brazenly ****-retentive.

P.S. Do a search here on the forums (or just spend an hour to two scrolling back through the pages) for the various polls that have been run by posters. Many of the polls ask demographic questions, such as personal income distribution, "Is C6 your first vette?", "do you buy any other GM products?", etc.

good luck

Last edited by LGTSOTR; 03-16-2005 at 06:40 PM. Reason: P.S. addition
Old 03-16-2005, 06:46 PM
VT-Sandman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I suggest you read as many threads on this forum as you can. The answers to many of your questions become obvious the more you get to know us on CF. I'm a new comer to the forum but have learned more about corvettes and true corvette people from reading and interacting on this forum than in the previous 35 years of loving corvettes. Hang around, you'll like it and probably want to buy one.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:52 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

Type of buyer. UCONN huskies basketball season ticket holders for years.
GO HUSKIES
Old 03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

All of the above.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:03 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All your answers are in the forum threads. Since this isn't a statistically valid or balanced or focus group, just choose the ones you like.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I think GM makes too much of Corvette's aspirational appeal, and not enough of what makes it so appealing: it kicks butt.

Ford's recent campaigns put both the GT and the Mustang on a track. Guy Ritchie's "A Boy's Dream" was nifty and all, but I'd rather see a Corvette owning a mountain road or flying past its "competition" on the Nurburgring.

.Jinx
Own the road.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Raedon
Racer

Originally Posted by Swancoat
Do NOT make the ads on anything near the "American Iron/Muscle" image. That is the worst thing to sell a car on.

Just my opinion.

Yea, that is doing horrible things for the 05 Mustang.

The Vette is American muscle.. anyone who doesn't see that has never opened the hood of any vette. Problem is it's design says asian riceviper.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:21 AM
Raedon
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
Guy Ritchie's "A Boy's Dream" was nifty and all, but I'd rather see a Corvette owning a mountain road or flying past its "competition" on the Nurburgring.

.Jinx
Own the road.

Here is the problem.. The speed limit is 65-70mph..

You cannot make a commercial for this car without bending the reality of the moving image. All cars are seen from the front, sides, and rear only. The C6 only has pleasing lines from the sides where it looks like a C5 with the butt taken off.

It was said that the C6 Z06 was left a hatchback for aerodynamics as the FRC and Z06 had turbulance issues. Their logic is faster Vette without a pleasing line.
My FRC can do 178mph so this point really says, "We don't want to make more then one C6 rear type."

The Hatchback is for loading up your shopping. There is an Identity problem here.. Move to the front of the C6 and it becomes obvious to many Vette owners that the designers had a fetish for other sports cars and NOT the vette.

So how do you sell a C6? you sell them to the Vette fans who went from C4 to C5 to C6 because they overlook GM's support, GM's lack of recalling problems, and ignoring the C6's horrible body design because they spend a good chunck of money and are being forced to defend the design from the very fans who should get a wave.

I've passed 4 C6's in town and I didn't notice it WAS a C6 until it was passed.. The front of the C6 is so easily ignored as rice.

The light pods, painted in the color of the car, along with the the "mouth" are so wrong that owning a C4 will get you more attention.

The C6 and C6 z06 need to be dropped, the design team fired, and a complete redesign done in the next 3 years.

Also the entire Chevy and Pontiac staff down to the sales force needs to be fired. To do this Unions have got to go.. this isn't really an option.. they all have to go.

Anyway, marketing the C6 will just hurt the C7's sales if it comes out.

The C6 seems dead.. If a car can only go 0-70ish legally then the design of every Vette chould really really POP!

You cannot advertise this car to people who don't travel over 140mph.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:08 AM
carjon
Burning Brakes

I'd probably do vert. on open desert road with long dust trail to indicate speed. Emphasis on beauty and speed.

Or you could do an ad talking about 4 different reds offered in 2005 with none lasting a whole model year.
Hard to get serious answers. They had the great ad with the kid and dreams but were afraid to keep running it.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Raedon -- so you don't like the way C6 looks; how does this answer the advertising question? It doesn't -- it just subverts a legitimate thread with your "I hate C6; they should have made an FRC" politicking.

.Jinx
Old 03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Raedon
Racer

I'm just saying it takes an amazing team to sell freezers to eskamos.

I don't know anyone who isn't Vette crazy who likes the C6. They all want luxury and reliability with a rich boy look. Many get F-bodies and other used sports cars for fun and a luxury sadan or something close like a SUV or 4x4. How do you sell to people who can't drive the cars off the lots and who take a look inside instead of under the hood? Even when you know what is the real design of the C6 these guys ask themselves what else can I get for $50k?

I am Vette crazy and I look forward to seeing the C7.

Last edited by Raedon; 03-17-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:23 PM
ZipZap
Race Director

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Received 287 Likes on 161 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Default Non-Vette Crazy

Originally Posted by Raedon

I don't know anyone who isn't Vette crazy who likes the C6. They all want luxury and reliability with a rich boy look. Many get F-bodies and other used sports cars for fun and a luxury sadan or something close like a SUV or 4x4. How do you sell to people who can't drive the cars off the lots and who take a look inside instead of under the hood? Even when you know what is the real design of the C6 these guys ask themselves what else can I get for $50k?

I'm not Vette Crazy by any means. There have been only 3 styles of Corvettes that I really liked. The C5 was not one of them. The release of the C6 was the reason I'm picking one up this weekend, which will be the first Vette I've owned.

I definitely think the C6 has exterior design notes that are more appealing than previous models. But that's just me. The combination of styling and performance made the C6 an obvious choice for me. My wife, on the other hand, wants the Lexus SC. Too bad it's my year to choose

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Ad Campaign

Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Z064life
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

I do....it is my fiance'

She isn't CAR crazy, but she loves the look of the new C6
I knew I found someone special when I met her
Old 03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
elmagoo
Racer

So I guess the C6 owners on this forum don't count? Lot of first time Vette buyers here (myself being one of them). I've always respected the Vette, but the C6 is what made me want to buy one (I'm not Vette crazy by any means). I was specifically looking at the $50K range and I could find no better car.

It's obvious you don't like the C6 and you really wanted the C6 to be something else. It's your opinion, and you're definitely entitlted to it. But I would like to state some counterpoints from my opinions.

I think the C6 looks great from all angles. I personally see many different influences mixed into it that make me want to get in and drive (from classic Vette to Italian). I get nothing but compliments when I'm at a stoplight, or get out at a parking lot. Everybody looks at this car regardless of the angle. I can park it on the street when I'm at a coffee shop or cafe and watch people turn their heads to look at it as they walk by. Many will stop and peer inside to check it out further. Again the look is one of the main things that attracted me to the new Vette in the first place.

Also, how could you possibly confuse the C6 as 'rice'? There isn't a single Japanese car on the planet that looks like a C6 from the front in any way shape or form. Confusing for being Italian perhaps, but not rice.

Yet again, I defer to:

www.riceboypage.com

Chevy has openly stated that they wanted to make this car more European friendly to increase sales over there. They're testing the car around the Nurburgring now to make it more than a straight-line car. They've bettered the quality and styling of the interior over the previous generations (granted not quite up to snuff yet, but it's getting really close). They're goal is to sell the car to a broader audience while trying to please the core Vette fans. Obviously they knew they were going to lose some along the way (just like Ford has with the new Stang). But C6's are flying off the showroom floors and are in high-demand right now. I think they've definitely done something right.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:11 PM
digicom1
Instructor

Quick Reply: Corvette Ad Campaign