C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LoJack (Module Location)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:27 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LoJack (Module Location)

The dealer had someone from LoJack install a LoJack vehicle theft locator device on my C6. I did not want it installed since I have OnStar, but it got installed any way.

I called LoJack and they would not tell me the location of the module. How about it guys, anyone know the location of the module?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:32 PM
redvetteC6
Drifting

Location: Huntington Beach Ca 1 out of 4 Americans are mentally unstable, so if 3 of your friends are OK . . . .
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

It can be anywhere. More than likely behind one of the moveable/removeable panels in your wheel wells.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:51 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by redvetteC6
It can be anywhere. More than likely behind one of the moveable/removeable panels in your wheel wells.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 PM
elmagoo
Racer

If you worried about your car being stolen you want it. OnStar isn't worth a darn because all a theif has to do is disconnect the battery. OnStar can not find the car then as the system needs power to operate, and OnStar has no backup. LoJack has it's own battery backup, so if power is disconnected, it still works.

Also, they install it randomly in one of many locations on the car so it's harder for the theives to find it.

Last year one of the guys here had his Jaguar stolen from our Company's garage, which is all valet!!! That caused a huge shakedown here on our security, hence with the new practices put in place it'll be a hell of a lot harder for it to happen again (the guy apparently walked in, took the keys off the windshield of the closest, nicest car and drove out like it was his). Thankfully he had a LoJack installed and they recovered the car. No damage, nothing taken out of the car, found it in an hour.

Interestingly, the theives have a system to cope with LoJack now. What they do is park the car somewhere remote, usually by the airport. They then let it sit there for a week. If it's still there when they come back, they conclude it doesn't have a LoJack and is safe for them to take away. Hence they found the Jag at the airport. Sneaky bastards....
Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elmagoo
If you worried about your car being stolen you want it. OnStar isn't worth a darn because all a theif has to do is disconnect the battery. OnStar can not find the car then as the system needs power to operate, and OnStar has no backup. LoJack has it's own battery backup, so if power is disconnected, it still works.

Also, they install it randomly in one of many locations on the car so it's harder for the theives to find it.

Last year one of the guys here had his Jaguar stolen from our Company's garage, which is all valet!!! That caused a huge shakedown here on our security, hence with the new practices put in place it'll be a hell of a lot harder for it to happen again (the guy apparently walked in, took the keys off the windshield of the closest, nicest car and drove out like it was his). Thankfully he had a LoJack installed and they recovered the car. No damage, nothing taken out of the car, found it in an hour.

Interestingly, the theives have a system to cope with LoJack now. What they do is park the car somewhere remote, usually by the airport. They then let it sit there for a week. If it's still there when they come back, they conclude it doesn't have a LoJack and is safe for them to take away. Hence they found the Jag at the airport. Sneaky bastards....
Thanks for the reply. Good information. I did get an education today on LoJack so I guess it is a good thing. My wife has had her Cad CTS for about 1 year (with OnStar) and I asked OnStar if it has its own power supply in case the battery is disconnected. It does. The OnStar vehicle tracking system is good for 72 hours after vehicle power is inturppted.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:15 AM
carjon
Burning Brakes

Many don't want their vehicle back after its been stolen. There are instances when it sits with no damage but often driven badly and trashed.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

If mine is stolen I hope it's badly and trashed so I can get another.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
Thanks for the reply. Good information. I did get an education today on LoJack so I guess it is a good thing. My wife has had her Cad CTS for about 1 year (with OnStar) and I asked OnStar if it has its own power supply in case the battery is disconnected. It does. The OnStar vehicle tracking system is good for 72 hours after vehicle power is inturppted.
I haven't heard of that but even if that is so, it takes a knowledgeable thief about 30 seconds to locate and snip one wiring harness to completely disable OnStar. The main problem with OnStar is that they are all in a known (and mostly the same) location in the car so disabling it is a piece of cake. Not so with LoJack.

Mike
Old 03-17-2005, 01:11 PM
elmagoo
Racer

Interesting. I heard the information from a GM dealership that it didn't have a power supply.......go figure Par for the course with salesmen knowing their stuff I guess..
Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

The OnStar vehicle tracking system is good for 72 hours after vehicle power is inturppted.
I wonder if this is accurate. I found no reference to backup power for Onstar, but I did find this on the Onstar website:

"The Equipment may not function if the Vehicle's battery is discharged or disconnected or if essential Vehicle components are damaged in an accident or otherwise."

I know that as late as 2003, Onstar had no backup power and was criticized for this by several publications.

Mike
Old 03-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
I wonder if this is accurate.
i would say no, mike. all the research *I* have done on OnStar.. and it's a *lot*... has turned up NOTHING to show ANY onstar system... be it in a Cadillac or a Chevrolet, will function at ALL... once the vehicle battery is disconnected.

Violet
Old 03-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
I wonder if this is accurate. I found no reference to backup power for Onstar, but I did find this on the Onstar website:

"The Equipment may not function if the Vehicle's battery is discharged or disconnected or if essential Vehicle components are damaged in an accident or otherwise."

I know that as late as 2003, Onstar had no backup power and was criticized for this by several publications.

Mike

I had to "disable" OnStar in order to install my Hypertech programmer in my 04' Suburban Z71. It was a simple as pulling the fuse!!
Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 PM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Originally Posted by carjon
Many don't want their vehicle back after its been stolen. There are instances when it sits with no damage but often driven badly and trashed.

a very good point IMO
Old 03-17-2005, 03:20 PM
stlthxlr8r
Racer

Yes but dont forget - the ONSTAR antenna is on the windshield next to the mirror. All you have to do to disable it is rip out the antenna - Bingo: No more onstar since it cant transmit. LOJACK is the way to go to protect your car.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:24 PM
TYLERTONY
Racer

What does LoJack cost, in general?
Old 03-17-2005, 04:40 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TYLERTONY
What does LoJack cost, in general?
Between $500 and $1100 depending on whether or not you get the early warning system that calls/pages you when your car is moved without your permission.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To LoJack (Module Location)

Quick Reply: LoJack (Module Location)