C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talked to a Denso (NAV) engineer today

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:44 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Talked to a Denso (NAV) engineer today

Got a phone call from a Denso engineer today to discuss issues with the Denso NAV unit. Another Yellow said he would give them my number and he is a man of his word.
So here is how it went (condensed version):

XM RADIO
Q, Why is the level of the XM signal so low?
A. Standard RMS for that input is 2.0 volts. The XM voltage is 1.4. It is within spec, but should be looked at. It is a problem with the module.
Note: We discussed that the level being attenuated could be the reason for the lack of quality.
Q. Can it be fixed?
A. We will look into it.

Q. Could you look into putting an (title/artist) INFO button on the NAV screen? It is tough to have to pusH the radio button then the info then the NAV button to get info.
A Good idea, I will present that to my boss.

GENERAL
Q. When an upgrade is available is the flash updated with a CD/DVD?
A. Yes

CD CHANGER
Q. Is there a CD changer coming?
A. Yes.
Q. Who makes it?
A. Panasonic.
Q. When will it be available?
A Probably late summer.
Q. Will it play MP3?
A. No.
Note: When the player becomes available a CD will come with it to update the interface.

MP3
Q. Why doesn't the current unit have MP3 capability?
A Originally it did and it used a software decoder, but the performance of the file system was painfully slow. So it was decided to remove the capability because GM feared it may cause warranty claims (in a nutshell).

*****************EDIT !!! *******************
I was reminded by the Denso engineer about something I failed to mention (I told you I was no reporter)

A. "We are working on providing an acceptable level performance MP3 function to customers."

****************END EDIT !**********************

CHEAT/SETUP SCREENS
Q Is there any way to get to a setup screen to maybe turn off the "I ACCEPT" screen and other functions?
A. There used to be those types of functions, and the one for the Cadillac was leaked out. They removed them from all later models because of big time liability issues. To my knowledge there are no hidden shortcuts in your NAV.

BOSE VOLUME/NOISE COMPENSATION
Q. What is the deal with the Bose noise compensation being a worthless piece of junk?
A. (Laugh) That is strictly a Bose issue, you will have to take it up with them. It is an on/off situation, the microphone picks up a certain level of noise and turns on the system. (we talked about speed sensitive system for a while).

INPUTS
Q. Are there any inputs into the unit for other sources?
A. The XM and CD use the inputs, but to answer the question, there are no RCA style inputs available.

Q. Is there a protocol available that can be placed on the bus for other inputs(say replacing the XM with Sirius). So that data can be shown on the screen.
A. They use a GM protocol and to my knowledge there is nothing available.

MAPS
Q. Some people are complaining that their maps are out of date. Will we be seeing an update soon?
A. Yes.They come out once a year and you should see one available late summer.
Q. Do your maps come from a 3rd party?
A. Yes, we get them and recode them to our format.

That was it, we talked about some other stuff, the forum, where I work and what I do and went into more detail on some subjects. Very nice,straightforward, and knowledgeable guy. I believe the answers were accurate.
Remember I am no reporter, and was ill prepared, So I winged it and pulled this from memory. I am going to send him this thread and he can check for accuracy.

Last edited by TedG; 04-26-2005 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Denso engineer reminded me of omission
Old 04-25-2005, 05:48 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Thanks Ted, good stuff even if I don't like some of the answers--Ed
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Nice info
Cant wait for the changer
Old 04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Very interesting.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:58 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

That's good news about the changer. Does anyone here have any word on what will be required in terms of wiring? I'm of the understanding that the changer will be "trunk"-mounted. I assume that a cable will need to be run. Wonder if later-production cars might be built with the cable already in place?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:04 PM
accidentprone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TedG
INPUTS
Q. Are there any inputs into the unit for other sources?
A. The XM and CD use the inputs, but to answer the question, there are no RCA style inputs available.
So how in the world will the CD Changer work?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted, strong work Man... Great info. I look forward to the map update...
Old 04-25-2005, 06:15 PM
DryHeat
Pro

Good legwork - thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:27 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by accidentprone
So how in the world will the CD Changer work?
I believe the harnees has an interface that just plugs in, my question was pointed at the availability of other aftermarket products to plug into the system via the standard RCA jacks.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:27 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Good work. Since its flash upgradeable they should be able to add a soft button on the screen that you could use to change the toggle switch to scan, scan presets, or seek when on radio or XM. This would allow you to stay on the nav but go through your presets up or down with the toggle. This is a major ommision in the design.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:35 PM
DebtCraft
Racer

Originally Posted by crabman
Good work. Since its flash upgradeable they should be able to add a soft button on the screen that you could use to change the toggle switch to scan, scan presets, or seek when on radio or XM. This would allow you to stay on the nav but go through your presets up or down with the toggle. This is a major ommision in the design.

Thank you, Crabman.

As for you Ted, great job! It is interesting to confirm that there was actually logic behind the design decisions. The 2.0 version of this product will probably get it right but it surprises me that there are so many drawbacks to the NAV stereo which are completely solved in competing products.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:16 PM
TedG
Safety Car

I am sure there were more questions I should have asked. But at least we got a few answers to nagging questions. I will be dead happy with a CD changer.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Got a phone call from a Denso engineer today to discuss issues with the Denso NAV unit. Another Yellow said he would give them my number and he is a man of his word.

Glad he called you Ted. They were very helpful to everyone. Flashed my radio and Nav with the latest software. They also gave out an updated manual for the Nav system. I'll take a look and see what changes were made.

Frank
Old 04-25-2005, 07:34 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

XM RADIO
Q, Why is the level of the XM signal so low?
A. Standard RMS for that input is 2.0 volts. The XM voltage is 1.4. It is within spec, but should be looked at. It is a problem with the module.
Note: We discussed that the level being attenuated could be the reason for the lack of quality.
Q. Can it be fixed?
A. We will look into it.
Luckily it seems the non-Nav Delco units don't have that problem. They have different problems like...not playing MP3's toward the edge of a disk.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Excellent report. Thanks Ted.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Glad he called you Ted. They were very helpful to everyone. Flashed my radio and Nav with the latest software. They also gave out an updated manual for the Nav system. I'll take a look and see what changes were made.

Frank
They did this for me too... was a great thing they did for us at the bash... I was impressed with their attention and willingness to make everything that wasnt to our standards right again.. hats off to GM
Old 04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
yellowscream
CF Lazy Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Close to on-topic...

Does anyone know of a way to get the XM info bar at the top of the screen to keep scrolling full time, rather than requiring a press of the info button. If there's no way to do that, seems like another big omission to me...

Get notified of new replies

To Talked to a Denso (NAV) engineer today

Old 04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 415 Likes on 288 Posts

Good questions, Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 09:37 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yellowscream
Close to on-topic...

Does anyone know of a way to get the XM info bar at the top of the screen to keep scrolling full time, rather than requiring a press of the info button. If there's no way to do that, seems like another big omission to me...
I asked him if he could look into allowing us to just touch that area and the info would come up. I would like scrolling just as much.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Dash Culpepper
Racer

Originally Posted by crazyeddie
Thanks Ted, good stuff even if I don't like some of the answers--Ed
Really looking forward to the CD Changer but that is that it will not be MP3 capable.

Quick Reply: Talked to a Denso (NAV) engineer today