C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 02:50 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default help! trunk won't open

when I approach the car with my key fob in my pocket, I press the trunk button above the license plate, and nothing happens -- trunk does not open.

I have nothing ielse in my pocket, and the same happens when I take the fob out of my pocket and hold it. The fob works fine to open the doors , and to start the car. The car is only 3 months old. When I push the button on the fob to open the trunk, it works fine, so I'm thinking the fob itself must be ok, and its radio transmitter must be ok, and the car is receiving the signal ok. So why won't the keyless button on the trunk work ?

Noticed this today for the first time. Everything was normal until today. Sure, I can take it to the dealer, but before I go through that hassle, wanted to check here first to see if there were something stupid and really simple that I'm overlooking.

Thanks !
Old 06-06-2005, 02:57 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the open when it feels like truck button club! seriously alot of us have the same problem. I have found that if I really push hard to one side it opens. Car is at dealer for the dead battery syndrome so I ask them to fix the button.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, Sometimes mine does not want to open. I suspect it is the button.

Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

The button on the FOB always works and so does the inside button.

Patrick
Old 06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RF Antenna

It could be the RF antenna located back there. There're at least three in the car...one above the gas lid in the halo/"B" pillar, another in a similar location on the passenger side, and the third is in the rear. You may have a faulty one...so it may not actually be the button itself. My dealer is replacing the driver's side antenna for me as we speak, b/c I have to hit the button on the FOB to get into the driver's door. Take it to the dealer and walk through it with the electrical tech.

Also, try using your other FOB, see if that makes a difference.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:39 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has only happened three or four times and I usually open the trunk twice a day several days a week. If I wait a few more seconds after the first try, it will open without using the fob.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Same thing happened to me. Only worked one time. The dealer replaced the button and now it works every time.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:56 PM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter

To be honest I never knew there was a button there until the Hooters meet last month when I saw USMCBLAKE open his vert with it. I couldn't find the button on mine, so figured that it was only on verts. :o I then found it later, I love that little button.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
RonnieC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by GGWOODY
To be honest I never knew there was a button there until the Hooters meet last month when I saw USMCBLAKE open his vert with it. I couldn't find the button on mine, so figured that it was only on verts. :o I then found it later, I love that little button.
I guess your car did not come with an owners manual!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Because I was talking to a fellow about my car and stupidly said I had never had a problem the very next day my rear button stopped working. Never failed once before, doesnt work at all now. I aint gonna take it in till something worth a dealer visit comes up and Ill get it fixed at the same time. There are BTW four fob sensors on the car. I finally ran into a acrobat doc which showed the location, frequencys (there are two), etc.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

wow --- thanks for all the great replies !
I'm going to the dealer on thursday to have them put my new chrome wheels on (YAAAAAAAAAA, BABY !!!! ) so I'm asking them to look at it then.

Funny thing was, when I got home, I tried the button again and it worked 6 times in a row ! I'm thinking the latch my just need lubrication , because my passenger door is like that too -- it sticks so that you have to press it twice, and sometimes really tough to get it to unlatch. the latch seems a bit sticky.

Maybe I'll try some silicone lubricant and see if that helps.

thanks so much for your suggestions -- always nice to hear I'm not the only one with problem. I was mostly wondering if I had messed up some setting in the DIC or something. There's no "keep the trunk shut to make Bugman look like a dumba55" setting in the DIC, is there?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Me 2

Happens frequently. Just do the fob or the interior release. Then iot will work again. Electronic Gremlins Man
Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GGWOODY
It could be the RF antenna located back there. There're at least three in the car...one above the gas lid in the halo/"B" pillar, another in a similar location on the passenger side, and the third is in the rear. You may have a faulty one...so it may not actually be the button itself. My dealer is replacing the driver's side antenna for me as we speak, b/c I have to hit the button on the FOB to get into the driver's door. Take it to the dealer and walk through it with the electrical tech.

Also, try using your other FOB, see if that makes a difference.

I had the same problem with the driver side door.........turned out to be the antenna on that side.....so they took the one from the trunk area, used it for the door until an ordered one came in and they put the new one in the trunk...........they are all interchangeable and apparently there were a few bad ones out there
Old 06-08-2005, 02:01 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmm -- I took some silicone lubricant spray -- just sprayed the trunk latch and the passenger door latch liberally (sorry for using that word ), and that seems to have fixed the problem.

for other guys with trouble, it may just be a "sticky" latch that is not well lubricated. just something to add to the list of things to try
Old 06-08-2005, 10:45 AM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

ttt
Old 06-11-2005, 12:20 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

update --
I took the car to the dealer to have them mount my new chrome wheels yesterday
And while I was there, asked them to inspect the trunk and the passenger door latches. Told them I'd already lubricated them. They did check 'em out , lubed them up with some magical Chevrolet stuff and verified that everything was in order.

So again, this may be an easy fix for some of you having the trunk latch problem. Thanks for all the help and suggestions here, men ! a great forum.

Get notified of new replies

To help! trunk won't open

Quick Reply: help! trunk won't open