C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up a C6

Old 06-15-2005, 12:04 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Jacking up a C6

I am trying to change my oil in my C6. I have ramps I can drive the front of the car up onto, but where can you jack up the rear and still get jack stands under it so the car is level for the oil change?? I know where the manual says to jack it and I know where the jack points are, but when you jack up the car in the standard points where would you put the jack stands? I used to be able to jack my Trans Am up by the differential, but would it be a problem with a rear mounted transaxle and IRS?? How to jack the rear of the car AND get jack stands under it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:10 PM
OldPhart
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

The Owners Manual is your friend. Pages 5-71 thru 5-74 addresses your question nicely.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 359 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by DrivnXcitment
I am trying to change my oil in my C6. I have ramps I can drive the front of the car up onto, but where can you jack up the rear and still get jack stands under it so the car is level for the oil change?? I know where the manual says to jack it and I know where the jack points are, but when you jack up the car in the standard points where would you put the jack stands? I used to be able to jack my Trans Am up by the differential, but would it be a problem with a rear mounted transaxle and IRS?? How to jack the rear of the car AND get jack stands under it would be greatly appreciated.
Why not jack up front for oil change? Seems it is easier..
Old 06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
fred oltmanns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do like I did, buy a 4 post lift then you can work standing up.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:38 PM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Maybe i Should Move Into a Garage Like yours And Buy That Lift..=)
Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 PM
prs62
Pro

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

The jack stands would go in front of the rear tires, just be sure to use jacking pads so you don't damage the body panel. OR you can get another set of ramps and place them under the rear tires when you have the rear jacked up in the air.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:03 PM
wlee013
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to change my oil with only raising the front of the car with ramps.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:05 PM
jhbrennan
Instructor

Ditto - oil change is very easy with just the front on ramps.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:46 PM
M Go Blue
Advanced

That is what I did as well. Used rhino ramps and slid underneath from the front of the car. A little tight but not too hard.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:11 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wlee013
I was able to change my oil with only raising the front of the car with ramps.
I wouldn't think you'd get all of the oil out with the motor not being level.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:20 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SA HEAT
I wouldn't think you'd get all of the oil out with the motor not being level.
You won't get every drop out ,but if you change your oil and filter on a regular schedule that is shorter than what GM recommends, you'll most likely be diluting what small amount of impurities remain to the extent that they will have no significant effect.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:26 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
You won't get every drop out ,but if you change your oil and filter on a regular schedule that is shorter than what GM recommends, you'll most likely be diluting what small amount of impurities remain to the extent that they will have no significant effect.
Yeah, I agree... I'm just goofy about changing oil. I change it way before recommended and I let it drain overnight to get that last 1/10th of a quart to drip out. Sick, huh?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
houston_aggie
Advanced

Check out this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...32&forum_id=74

Bought a set of 4 of these BMW jacking pucks. They snap into place, and fit perfectly. I recommend!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

I didn't want to just put the front on ramps so I could drain all the oil out. Also the jack point in the owners manual is where I put my 3 ton jack to raise the car, so where do the jack stands go when I need to move the jack to the other side? Has anyone jacked it up by the differential, or is there any recommendation on how to get the rear end off the ground? Snide comments need not apply.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:01 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Maybe I am missing something here, but why jack up the car at all? I happened to look under my C6 for the front drivers side jack pad location, and noticed that the oil drain plug is right there, in the open with easy access. You should also be able to get at the oil filter without too much trouble because it too is right in the open. It may all look too far to reach but your arm is probably longer than you think.
I am no where near an oil change but it sure looked like a doable job, you just need to get on your back and you need a shallow pan to catch the oil. Sure it is probably easier to do it with the car jacked up properly, but I don't think it would be much of a hassle to do it the old fashioned way. Incidently, I have owned a lot of cars in my years and I can't think of one where it was necessary to jack up the car to change the oil and filter, but I will say that some were tougher than others.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:57 PM
TheGreatOz
Instructor

Originally Posted by SA HEAT
I let it drain overnight to get that last 1/10th of a quart to drip out.
If the front end is not slightly higher than the rear, you're not draining all of the oil out of the pan. When the car is level, the pan will not be 100% empty.

Go figure! That's the General for ya'!
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DANNOV
Incidently, I have owned a lot of cars in my years and I can't think of one where it was necessary to jack up the car to change the oil and filter...

"Me neither!"
-Reed Richards

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up a C6

Old 06-16-2005, 12:09 AM
TheGreatOz
Instructor

Originally Posted by DANNOV
I am no where near an oil change but it sure looked like a doable job
(The longer the reach, the weaker the torque.)

How 'bout we wait and hear from you trying it, before gittin' jiggy with 6" clearance!

It sure would be nice to not have to trust our lives to a set of Pep Boys jack stands.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:38 AM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheGreatOz
(The longer the reach, the weaker the torque.)

How 'bout we wait and hear from you trying it, before gittin' jiggy with 6" clearance!

It sure would be nice to not have to trust our lives to a set of Pep Boys jack stands.

Thats why I bought craftsman 3 ton jack stands. If they collapse and break, crushing me then Sears will give me a new set for free!
Old 06-16-2005, 03:27 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats why I bought craftsman 3 ton jack stands. If they collapse and break, crushing me then Sears will give me a new set for free!
Damn, you guys are funny !

Hey -- don't use the jack points they show in the manual. Then you'd have to jack each side up separately.
Instead, just put the jack in the middle of that crossmember and jack up the entire rear end at once, then support the car on two jack stands placed at the jack puck points.

see description Here - click on "Jack"

Here's a picture of me doing the front -- the situation is exactly the same in the rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jacking up a C6