C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your "factory" Z51 alignment ... BAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:18 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Check your "factory" Z51 alignment ... BAD

This is my 3rd C6 (Z51) and just for grins I thought I would have the alignment checked. No issues with the car, just curious. Well hold on to your cams folks .... not only was the car badly out of alignment, it was not even within GM spec. Car has 950 miles on it.

So .... checked the 2nd car and not to my surprise it is equally bad. The shop I used has the latest and best Hunter 4 point digital laser system (DSP 600 or something) that is right on the money. I was there with the tech the whole time and he spent 1.5 hours on the car to dial it in PRECISELY to my wishes. $60 .... and they felt bad because a standard alignment is only $49!

When the tech was done he sort of grinned and said that's the best alignment I have ever done and he was pleased with himself .... so I gave him a $50 tip and said thanks for getting it just right. I thought he was going to pass out or wet himself! Too funny.

Drove it 60 miles home and it sure does feel different and tracks straight down the road. I am shocked at what a crap poor job GM does. I saw them doing the alignment in BG and thought it was fast ... but I think more like a drive by and the probably have a fixture or something. A good investment for $60 and I wonder if this is a part of the premature tire wear on the Z51 cars folks complain of.

Go here for full Z51 specs. http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/toom...6alignment.htm

Here are the number before we started with the factory alignment.

L-front camber .... -0.4
R-front camber ... -0.4

L-front caster ... 6.9
R-front caster ... 5.9

L-front toe ... .25
R-front toe ... .21

Total toe ... .46 (wow ... no wonder it didn't pull)
================
L-rear camber ... -.30
R-rear camber ... -.70

L-rear toe ... .22
R-rear toe ... .10
Total rear toe ... .32 (wow)
=============================

This is what I set it to:

L-front camber .... -0.8
R-front camber ... -0.8

L-front caster ... 7.9
R-front caster ... 7.9

L-front toe ... .10
R-front toe ... .10
Total front toe ... .20

L-rear camber ... -0.6
R-rear camber ... -0.6
Total rear toe ... 00.00

Last edited by rbl; 06-16-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Your 3rd C6 (Z06)? Didn't know the Z06 was out for public distribution yet.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Akro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
This is my 3rd C6 (Z06) and just for grins I thought I would have the alignment checked. No issues with the car, just curious. Well hold on to your cams folks .... not only was the car badly out of alignment, it was not even within GM spec. Car has 950 miles on it.

So .... checked the 2nd car and not to my surprise it is equally bad. The shop I used has the latest and best Hunter 4 point digital laser system (DSP 600 or something) that is right on the money. I was there with the tech the whole time and he spent 1.5 hours on the car to dial it in PRECISELY to my wishes. $60 .... and they felt bad because a standard alignment is only $49!

When the tech was done he sort of grinned and said that's the best alignment I have ever done and he was pleased with himself .... so I gave him a $50 tip and said thanks for getting it just right. I thought he was going to pass out or wet himself! Too funny.

Drove it 60 miles home and it sure does feel different and tracks straight down the road. I am shocked at what a crap poor job GM does. I saw them doing the alignment in BG and thought it was fast ... but I think more like a drive by and the probably have a fixture or something. A good investment for $60 and I wonder if this is a part of the premature tire wear on the Z51 cars folks complain of.

L-front camber .... -0.4
R-front camber ... -0.4

L-front caster ... 6.9
R-front caster ... 5.9

L-front toe ... .25
R-front toe ... .21

================
L-rear camber ... -.30
R-rear camber ... -.70

L-rear toe ... .22
R-rear toe ... .10

L-front camber .... -0.8
R-front camber ... -0.8

L-front caster ... 7.9
R-front caster ... 7.9

L-front toe ... .10
R-front toe ... .10
Total front toe ... .20

L-rear camber ... -0.6
R-rear camber ... -0.6
Total rear toe ... 00.00
Did you mean Z-51 instead of Z06?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

What the butt?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:38 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
Your 3rd C6 (Z06)? Didn't know the Z06 was out for public distribution yet.

Yep Z51 ... bobo on me
Old 06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Originally Posted by rbl
Yep Z51 ... bobo on me
It's ok, man.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:10 PM
rudybeet
Racer

Still don't get it. You went through 3 Vettes in a year?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:22 PM
corvette1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned GM spec and then stated "This is what I set it to:" Are those settings the GM spec or did you use another source for your settings? Just curious.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:15 PM
jchazr
Racer

Where did you get it aligned? Because I am in VA and will be getting my car aligned next week when it comes in. Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-16-2005, 01:47 AM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

I'm thinking of doing the same. If i let go of the wheel Vert pulls a little to the right and with the prices of these tires it's worth it to be safe.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I got a free $200 alignment from Chevrolet

The Chevy Tech told me it is normal for the alignment to be off and that the alignment should be checked once a year. He spent 2 hours on my car as I watched him turn alot of stuff underneath the car mostly up front.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:01 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by rudybeet
Still don't get it. You went through 3 Vettes in a year?

Brilliant ...
Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
This is my 3rd C6 (Z51) and just for grins I thought I would have the alignment checked. No issues with the car, just curious. Well hold on to your cams folks .... not only was the car badly out of alignment, it was not even within GM spec. Car has 950 miles on it.

L-front camber .... -0.4
R-front camber ... -0.4

L-front caster ... 6.9
R-front caster ... 5.9

L-front toe ... .25
R-front toe ... .21

================
L-rear camber ... -.30
R-rear camber ... -.70

L-rear toe ... .22
R-rear toe ... .10

L-front camber .... -0.8
R-front camber ... -0.8

L-front caster ... 7.9
R-front caster ... 7.9

L-front toe ... .10
R-front toe ... .10
Total front toe ... .20

L-rear camber ... -0.6
R-rear camber ... -0.6
Total rear toe ... 00.00
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by jchazr
Where did you get it aligned? Because I am in VA and will be getting my car aligned next week when it comes in. Thanks,

Joe

I am in the SW tip of VA and I went about 50 miles over to Middlesboro, KY. I was really suprised that the car was that bad as it drove prety good.

Be sure your tire pressure is right on before you take it. Make sure they have the top of the line digital machine, no more than 5 years old. This one was a year old. Also, most of them just want to dial it until the bars are all green (in spec). I asked them to work on it until they had the exact numbers and that takes some time to do. When one thing is changed all of the others are so it takes allot of tweaking to get it to dial in.

The numbers I had it set to are within GM spec. and are less than a moderate track setting but a bit more negative Camber than GM would use.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:13 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by corvette1
You mentioned GM spec and then stated "This is what I set it to:" Are those settings the GM spec or did you use another source for your settings? Just curious.
GM spec covers a BIG range and is why the cars are so sloppy. My numbers are within the spec and came from a performance shop that has done allot of these Z51 cars.

What is most important is the Caster and 7.9 is the OEM prefered spec.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:58 AM
rick229
Instructor

500 miles and mine drifts to the left. I have to put slight pressure on the wheel to the right to make it go straight. It goes back to the dealer on Wednesday to have the alignment fixed.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Well this would explain the Z51 tire wear.

wow, well i'll add MY first thought...

with the soft compound of the Z51 Supercar tires... all that toe (and the rest of the poor factory alignment) could DEFINITELY be leading to the premature tire wear that some Z51 owners are seeing.

Hmmm... at least that makes sense and explains why some people are getting 4000 miles life and some are at 10,000+ and no problems.

Check those alignments.

Get notified of new replies

To Check your "factory" Z51 alignment ... BAD

Old 06-16-2005, 09:53 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by rick229
500 miles and mine drifts to the left. I have to put slight pressure on the wheel to the right to make it go straight. It goes back to the dealer on Wednesday to have the alignment fixed.

My first car did that and even in the right lane (road is crowned) it tended to climb up to the center. My dealer could not do the job with their old machine (I would not let them). Your dealer will likely just change the Caster a touch and send you off. Will fix the problem but it is a long ways fron correct. My $.02

Spend the $60 and ask your dealer to pay for it.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the specs that you set yours to what you'd recommend for the base coupe also or are the base/Z51 different? I'm going to take mine to get it aligned but I want to bring the specs with me to be sure the shop has them correct. Are the numbers you posted under "what I set it to" all I need to take them?

A quick answer would be great since they have an opening today where they could fit me in. I suspect mine is out of whack too.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-16-2005, 10:54 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Be sure your tire pressure is right on before you take it.
The actual correct procedure is to put the tires at 'operating' pressure before the alignment than back to cold pressures after the alignment.

The way to find the operating pressures is to set the cold pressures and go out for a good long drive in the style you want the car to be optimized for, and then immediately stop and measure the pressures (on the side of the road or in a gas station) and write the numbers down. Average the fronts and average the rears. and use these pressures while on the alignment rack.

If you want the car optimized for interstate driving, run your car on the interstate for 20 minutes. If you want you car optimized for back roads, run you car on the back roads for at least 20 minutes as hard as you want to run on the backroads. If you want a track setting,.....

Since I track my car a lot, I have the pressures set ot 40 PSI before alignment, and back to 32 PSI afterwards. Most of us will want the tires in the 36 PSI range 'on the alignment rack'.

However, as long as we are shelling out $60+ for an alignment (and getting them at least once a year) in order to preserve the life of $1000 tire sets. I seriously suggest getting a $100 digital probe tipped pyrometer and measuring the tire temperatures, and using this information to dial your car in even better than the simple set of numbers above. And if you are really serious about alignment, stability, and performance, get the car cornerweighted--you will feel the difference.

Quick Reply: Check your "factory" Z51 alignment ... BAD