C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable Seat Belt Chime?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

More on this topic here...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-alarm-4.html
Old 08-23-2016, 05:50 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 899 Likes on 585 Posts

To save everyone reading 4 pages of BS to find the useful post here is a copy of it originally posted by Brock Sexton:

I'll start by saying that I will answer a technical question without preaching like all the other idiots on here. Thanks, Mommy, I won't run with scissors or swim after eating either. Please spare us and let us have a technical discussion. And let's dispel the notion that there is liability around this. You can find internet sites on bomb making. Let's not act like a simple discussion around car electrical systems isn't protected by the first amendment.

Now then, here is a post I found elsewhere. I'll clarify afterwards...

"Here is the solution to no warning chime or red light. The seat belt switch closes when the seat belt tongue is inserted. It connects the TN/WH wire to the Pink wire. So simply unplug the connector coming from the seat belt buckle (female) that goes under the seat, and jumper the two contacts together of the mating connector under the seat-you can use a paper clip. Voila-no chime and no red warning light!

This plug can be found by pushing the seat fully foward and raising the back end of the seat up. You will see a smooth black wire coming together for a small 2 wire plug. You will know you got the right one as there are two wires-one tan/white and one pink on the drivers side. On side passenger side, same deal but one wire is Orange and the other wire is again Pink. Not easy access but can be done. Separate the female plug from the male using a small tip screwdriver."

Now clarification from me. He's mostly right, but omitted a few things. First, you must unbolt the seat at all four corners and lift it up and put it on its side. You can't lift it out of the car because there are connections all over the place, but it will lift and turn sideways in its place. From the belt buckle you'll see two sets of wires come out. One set is hard wired into a bunch of other stuff. Ignore that set. The other set goes to the small harness that is held on a rail by a little bracket. Slide the harness off the bracket and open it up. Use some kind of jumper on the large end (the end that goes back to the ECM, not the side that goes to the buckle). The wires being jumped are the tan/white and pink mentioned above. I think my car was just white (no tan). Tape the two disconnected cords together so that in the future you will know to reconnect these should you choose to do so. The passenger side is identical except for the wire colors which are orange and pink. I should add, I have a C6 Z06. Your model/year may be different but this is the idea.

Nice to know we can hot wire the system but this really is poor system design by GM. With all the stuff we can customize through the DIC we ought to be able to turn off a GD chime if we want to. I did it on my pickup without making a federal case about it. There are plenty of times you don't want to hear it like just shuffling cars around in the driveway.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Just to bring over the update on this:

Update on disabling the seat belt chime: I've done everything that I posted here, which is mostly material I've seen posted elsewhere (but with my clarifications). It works for the most part, but not completely. As desired, if in the car with engine running and no seat belt, there are no endless chimes to be heard. However, after about 5 minutes of driving, a single chime will sound and a message about the seatbelt will appear in the DIC. Then it goes away. Then later on it will eventually come back and so on.

If anyone has tried this mod and has a different experience or suggestion, please comment.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

My 2011 bitches twice, then quits. Not that big of a deal.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Old 08-23-2016, 10:51 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

There is a blank device that fits into the latch that is used by the track rats using 5 point harnesses so the chime is turned off while on the track. Not sure where to get it. Maybe a trip to the salvage yard to get a insert will work

Clif
Old 08-23-2016, 10:58 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Make that Vetteworks to obtain the dummy insert

Clif
Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jimmymac25
My 2011 bitches twice, then quits. Not that big of a deal.
Are you saying that you have done the electrical wiring mod and now it just bitches twice? Or does yours just bitch twice without having done any mods and that's just the way its been since you got the car?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 PM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock Sexton
Are you saying that you have done the electrical wiring mod and now it just bitches twice? Or does yours just bitch twice without having done any mods and that's just the way its been since you got the car?
Yes Brock, it has always done this. I gives an early warning once underway, then reminds me a couple of minutes later. Then it's done.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

This is a 11 year old topic. Are you nuts?
The following users liked this post:
FortMorganAl (08-26-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by simplegto
this is a 11 year old topic. Are you nuts?
I can see why you are a "senior member" with 1300 posts. Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation while creating more useless junk to sift through. Can we please keep things technical and resist the temptation to add "clever" comments to every f'ing thing that somebody posts?

If anyone has real answers, please join in and say your piece.

Last edited by Brock Sexton; 08-24-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM
NMJoe
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=dr_gallup;1592909691]To save everyone reading 4 pages of BS to find the useful post here is a copy of it originally posted by Brock Sexton:

I'll start by saying that I will answer a technical question without preaching like all the other idiots on here. Thanks, Mommy, I won't run with scissors or swim after eating either. Please spare us and let us have a technical discussion. And let's dispel the notion that there is liability around this. You can find internet sites on bomb making. Let's not act like a simple discussion around car electrical systems isn't protected by the first amendment.

Sweet Lord! Finally! Someone who understands what a forum SHOULD be about. Thank you for so eloquently saying what 90%+ are thinking.

Last edited by NMJoe; 08-24-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:54 PM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought a seat belt extension on ebay for $15. Easier for this old fat man to get to and does not beep if I choose not to buckle up.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:04 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Although I'm sure the OP no longer cares (because like simplegto said, this is an 11 year old thread!) you can get the plugs Dano posted, or similar, on eBay for very cheap. Under $5 if you're willing to wait for them to ship from Asia. Or, like another poster mentioned, it will only beep twice during each start up. Once initially and then once more about 5 min into the drive.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:17 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5knives
Although I'm sure the OP no longer cares (because like simplegto said, this is an 11 year old thread!) you can get the plugs Dano posted, or similar, on eBay for very cheap. Under $5 if you're willing to wait for them to ship from Asia. Or, like another poster mentioned, it will only beep twice during each start up. Once initially and then once more about 5 min into the drive.
The O.P. last post was 2007 so he may not see that a genius has brought him back but his memory is well served.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

The O.P. last post was 2007 so he may not see that a genius has brought him back but his memory is well served.
Why is everyone so obsessed with the OP? I thought the point of a forum was to document issues as an archive. You know, kind of like a reference book? I'm not trying to convey new info to the OP. I'm trying benefit me and other current owners of an older vehicle. I'm baffled as to why this is confusing any of you.

And to put it to rest, yes, I know about the 7000 inserts and extenders that exist. Nice alternative, but not what I'm shooting for. I have a Honda that will chime incessantly, forever and til the end of eternity if you don't buckle the seat belt. They probably use a Hall Effect or Reed Switch to create a rather elaborate electronic belt/srs warning scheme. Daunting as that sounds to fool, I found a way to take a half square inch of tin from the bottom of a coffee can and make the system think the belt is buckled when its not. No inserts, no extenders, no extra actions needed...and the belt still functions as it normally would. Now I can hop in the car and the belts don't yell at me. My McGuyver fix has brought back the good old days before Big Brother.

There is an answer for this Corvette as well. Hopefully I can find it and post here...regardless of how many d'bags want to chime in with their oh-so-witty insults.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:33 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

I don't get the obsession over not reviving old threads, either. Even if the OP died years ago, these conversations were never just for his benefit. Otherwise we'd all be sending private messages.

Also, if it's so important, why doesn't the software simply close old threads automatically?

Get notified of new replies

To Disable Seat Belt Chime?

Old 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Originally Posted by torquetube
I don't get the obsession over not reviving old threads, either. Even if the OP died years ago, these conversations were never just for his benefit. Otherwise we'd all be sending private messages.

Also, if it's so important, why doesn't the software simply close old threads automatically?
This new guy has an obsession with seat belt chimes and has revived two old threads. He must really hate seat belts. If the chime was going with the belt on I could see a problem but this whole thread is just irresponsible and should be locked. Buckle up and get over it.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

This new guy has an obsession with seat belt chimes and has revived two old threads. He must really hate seat belts. If the chime was going with the belt on I could see a problem but this whole thread is just irresponsible and should be locked. Buckle up and get over it.
OK, troll. Move on to some other thread. This one is here for people who are interested in the topic. We don't need your useless commentary and we sure don't need more preaching about seatbelts. Go write letters to the 7000 vendors on ebay and Amazon that are selling inserts and extenders as a way to avoid annoying belt chimes. Seriously, you need to get a life.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

OK, troll. Move on to some other thread. This one is here for people who are interested in the topic. We don't need your useless commentary and we sure don't need more preaching about seatbelts. Go write letters to the 7000 vendors on ebay and Amazon that are selling inserts and extenders as a way to avoid annoying belt chimes. Seriously, you need to get a life.
I was reading this for entertainment and now I think you really are being a troll Brock. Please, calm down and be nice. Everyone is free to offer an opinion and you can read them or move on too.

Last edited by unixcorn; 08-25-2016 at 09:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by unixcorn:
I Fly Low (08-27-2016), Landru (08-26-2016), simplegto (08-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Disable Seat Belt Chime?