C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable Seat Belt Chime?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:36 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock Sexton
I can see why you are a "senior member" with 1300 posts. Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation while creating more useless junk to sift through. Can we please keep things technical and resist the temptation to add "clever" comments to every f'ing thing that somebody posts?

If anyone has real answers, please join in and say your piece.
Says the idiot with 12 posts.

We used to have mods that would close any thread more than a few months old and ban or at least warn the person who wouldn't start a new thread so we wouldn't have to suffer through crap like this but then the site was sold to clowns who think kids who are too naïve to know better are the way to make lots of ad money.

BTW, the real answer is to do a search for the dozens of good answers that have been given over the last 11 years. But noobs are too lazy to do that so...
The following 2 users liked this post by FortMorganAl:
Landru (08-26-2016), simplegto (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I was reading this for entertainment and now I think you really are being a troll Brock. Please, calm down and be nice. Everyone is free to offer an opinion and you can read them or move on too.
Are you serious? I'm trying to talk tech in the midst of everyone lecturing about seatbelt safety and chiming in about the merits of the conversation (not the subject of the conversation) and I'm the troll?

I think you guys need to understand the difference between a CHAT ROOM and a FORUM. Again, think "reference material". Why would I open a new thread? I used the same thread for continuity of subject. You know, so we're not reinventing the wheel over and over again?

For those of you that enjoy commenting on the merits of the topic, again, please understand why you are unpopular in real life. You have nothing to offer except butting in where you're not wanted and making useless comments. I'm not going to play your game and hurl insults back at you. Go to a CHAT ROOM to get whatever human contact you are lacking in the real world.

Last edited by Brock Sexton; 08-26-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:29 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Are you serious? I'm trying to talk tech in the midst of everyone lecturing about seatbelt safety and chiming in about the merits of the conversation (not the subject of the conversation) and I'm the troll?

I think you guys need to understand the difference between a CHAT ROOM and a FORUM. Again, think "reference material". Why would I open a new thread? I used the same thread for continuity of subject. You know, so we're not reinventing the wheel over and over again?

For those of you that enjoy commenting on the merits of the topic, again, please understand why you are unpopular in real life. You have nothing to offer except butting in where you're not wanted and making useless comments. I'm not going to play your game and hurl insults back at you. Go to a CHAT ROOM to get whatever human contact you are lacking in the real world.
Actually we are in C6 General Discussion. I can't think of a better place to offer one's comments on the merits of any topic. There is a Tech/Performance forum that you may want to post in if you need a more pure experience.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=unixcorn;1592925618]I was reading this for entertainment...

I think this quote from unixcorn says all we need to know. You guys cruise around this site just for "entertainment" and inject useless commentary for craps and giggles. Definition of troll. Let's check some scores:

unixcorn has been thanked 37 times in 1310 posts for a rate of 2.82%.
simpletogo has 40 on 1336 = 2.99%.
ftmorganal has 32 on 7901 = 0.041%. That's worth repeating...7901 posts with a 0.41% thanked ratio.

I've been thanked 5 times in 13 posts. That 38.5%. Perhaps because I stick to issues rather than hurling insults for my own entertainment. Try it some time and one day you might get a batting average near mine.

Enough of this nonsense. If anyone has a solution please post. There are two pairs of wires that run up into the seatbelt. The solution thus far has been to jump one of them. That clearly does not do the full job. That second set of wires has some function. I just haven't opened the buckle up because it doesn't screw together. I'd rather have a permanent mod that works, but I suppose I can live with belt extenders.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:57 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Wow!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:16 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Wow!!!
a real dandy, my new hero!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

he's absolutely right.
The following users liked this post:
Brock Sexton (08-27-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 05:18 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd rather have a permanent mod that works, but I suppose I can live with belt extenders.
I have to ask why you're looking for a more complex permanent solution when the plugs are just as affective and easily reversible if need be? Plus they're interchangble between many vehicles. I have them in mine because of my 4point harness and they work great. I just don't understand the need for permanency for something like this but I guess that's really none of my business. I don't know anything about the wiring but if you don't find the solution you're looking for just know the plugs have worked great for many.

As for your other comments. I can't say I disagree with your opinion on the general purpose of a forum but I think you're taking all this way too seriously. Making presumptions about a persons worth based on their thanks to post ratio and somehow equating it to their real world popularity is just silly. Other than that
Old 08-26-2016, 05:54 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Shame on Unixcorn, Simpletogo, and Ftmorganal!!

unixcorn has been thanked 37 times in 1310 posts for a rate of 2.82%.
ftmorganal has 32 on 7901 = 0.041%. That's worth repeating...7901 posts with a 0.41% thanked ratio.

You are a thankless bunch!!
The following 3 users liked this post by mhatton222:
FortMorganAl (08-27-2016), simplegto (08-26-2016), unixcorn (08-28-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:59 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

...unixcorn has been thanked 37 times in 1310 posts for a rate of 2.82%.

I've been thanked 5 times in 13 posts. That 38.5%. Perhaps because I stick to issues rather than hurling insults for my own entertainment. Try it some time and one day you might get a batting average near mine.
And if you had been here for more than a few days you might have noticed that the thanks feature is a fairly recent addition to the site. And when the clowns who bought the site decided to change it from a place where Corvette enthusiasts could discuss Corvettes and solve issues into a chat room where they thought bickering and "Likes" were more valuable click-bait than real information and serious discussions, that is close to when I stopped coming here regularly. I think you will find that those who have been here for many years and have thousands of posts have a very low thanks rating the way you figure it. And, if you go back a few years, some of the most helpful people are long gone with zero thanks.

If you don't like the way it is now, just go back and read what others have said in the past. Pretty much every issue anyone has with a C6 has been discussed and solved several times before the stupid "thanks" button arrived. But if you are new to the site and too lazy to do a search... BTW, if you had been here for a while you would also know that the native search feature is pretty worthless compared to using Site with a Google search. But you are too lazy to search for that tip or in too much of a hurry to have someone else solve your problem again and again and again and again and again, then you wouldn't know that either.

Enough of this nonsense. If anyone has a solution please post. There are two pairs of wires that run up into the seatbelt. The solution thus far has been to jump one of them. That clearly does not do the full job. That second set of wires has some function. I just haven't opened the buckle up because it doesn't screw together. I'd rather have a permanent mod that works, but I suppose I can live with belt extenders.
Two pairs? Really? I would have thought that someone with a thanks rating that is 950 time higher than mine would have more factual information. So when you get tired of posting your guesses instead of facts...
I Fly Low (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 12:10 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

OK, here's 57 postings here mostly on disabling the seatbelt chime.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22s...vetteforum.com
I Fly Low (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 5knives
I have to ask why you're looking for a more complex permanent solution when the plugs are just as affective and easily reversible if need be? Plus they're interchangble between many vehicles. I have them in mine because of my 4point harness and they work great. I just don't understand the need for permanency for something like this but I guess that's really none of my business. I don't know anything about the wiring but if you don't find the solution you're looking for just know the plugs have worked great for many.
Once you put in a plug/insert, you've pretty much committed to driving without the seat belt unless you want to futz around and try to remove while driving, then find a place to put it. My intent isn't to drive around at all times with no seat belt. I just want it to be like it is in my '66. Just get in the car, I'm aware that there are seatlbelts, I'll put them on when I'm damn good and ready, and I don't need chimes and a blinking light and a message on the DIC to keep hounding me. I see a schematic on a later post (thanks finally to ftmorganal for posting something on topic). That might help.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Two pairs? Really? I would have thought that someone with a thanks rating that is 950 time higher than mine would have more factual information. So when you get tired of posting your guesses instead of facts...
First, thanks for the schematic. I mean it. I will even thank you electronically. As to searches on this site, its virtually impossible. Even if you can find a thread with what you're looking for, the thread has 4000 posts and 90% of them are name calling and cute emoji's. The only way to find anything is to use a real web search from outside this site.

All that aside, here we go again with the name calling and the assumptions of superiority. Let me set things straight...

A circuit diagram (which you have kindly provided) and a wiring diagram can be two completely different things. It is common for a circuit diagram (like this simple schematic) to show the logic of how a circuit works. But the wiring (and its true diagram) can have all kinds of complexities that a schematic doesn't show.

Trust me here, there are two pairs of wires running into the convoluted tube that leads to the buckle mechanism. The PK to TN/WH is the one I jumped (as proscribed). I didn't mess with the other one. The simple jump of one pair does not work. It causes completely unpredictable behavior.

Now that some of you have come around to answering tech questions, can we please drop all the "moron, genius, idiot, nuts" chatter and stick to the subject?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:10 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Once you put in a plug/insert, you've pretty much committed to driving without the seat belt unless you want to futz around and try to remove while driving, then find a place to put it. My intent isn't to drive around at all times with no seat belt. I just want it to be like it is in my '66. Just get in the car, I'm aware that there are seatlbelts, I'll put them on when I'm damn good and ready, and I don't need chimes and a blinking light and a message on the DIC to keep hounding me. I see a schematic on a later post (thanks finally to ftmorganal for posting something on topic). That might help.
Without the seatbelt latched, the chime only dings twice per drive. Once after the initial start up and then again about 5 minutes later. That is it. You will never be bothered by it again until you restart the car. No splicing, jumping, hot wiring, etc. needed. And best of all it's free and requires absolutely nothing from you. But if you are aware of that and it still isn't satisfactory to your needs I will stay out of the discussion and allow the tech talk to continue.
simplegto (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:30 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Unless you own an '05. It will continue to ding if above a set speed. It won't ding if stationary or below that speed. I don't recall exactly what that speed is, though. Somewhere between 5 and 10 mph.

Annoying during parades.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by owc6
Unless you own an '05. It will continue to ding if above a set speed. It won't ding if stationary or below that speed. I don't recall exactly what that speed is, though. Somewhere between 5 and 10 mph.

Annoying during parades.
That is not something I was aware of since I don't have a 2005. But it makes sense. GM decided to change a lot of the silliness they put in the '05s.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Brock Sexton
Heel & Toe

Without the seatbelt latched, the chime only dings twice per drive. Once after the initial start up and then again about 5 minutes later. That is it. You will never be bothered by it again until you restart the car. No splicing, jumping, hot wiring, etc. needed.
It chimes, it flashes the seatbelt icon on the dash, and it intermittently throws a note up on the DIC (replacing the oil temp or whatever else I want to see up there). The chimes might have a limit. I don't know how many times each thing happens, but in the aggregate, it goes on and on. If two people in the car, even more so.

Disabling is possible. I did it in my Odyssey and that had a complex system in place. I am not the only person on Earth that wants Big Brother out of the car. Search any make and model and you will find tons of material on how disable seat belt warnings. I just long for the days when the seat belt was there, we knew damn well it was there, and we didn't need it yelling at us.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

That is not something I was aware of since I don't have a 2005. But it makes sense. GM decided to change a lot of the silliness they put in the '05s.
Yep. There are a lot of things that apply to '05 only.

Sometimes I'm leary of answering because what is normal to that car is not normal to 90% of C6s.

______

lisa

Quick Reply: Disable Seat Belt Chime?