C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people have to park next to the Corvette???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:54 PM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07
Default Why do people have to park next to the Corvette???

I visited 3 Home Depots this weekend to pick up a few things for my house. Each time I either parked waaayyyyy up top of waaayyyyy off to the side. These were areas that most people wouldn't park because there was plenty of available spaces close to the building. Well... each time I came out to find someone in a "regular car" or truck had parked right next to me. Someone please let me in on the little secret of why this happens. They could have parked anywhere else but the car seems like a parking magnet in lots. Everyone has to be near it.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:57 PM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Maybe they feel safe there,A Corvette owner wouldn't ding their door! I do that all the time even when driving the Durango.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:25 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbyrne
I visited 3 Home Depots this weekend to pick up a few things for my house. Each time I either parked waaayyyyy up top of waaayyyyy off to the side. These were areas that most people wouldn't park because there was plenty of available spaces close to the building. Well... each time I came out to find someone in a "regular car" or truck had parked right next to me. Someone please let me in on the little secret of why this happens. They could have parked anywhere else but the car seems like a parking magnet in lots. Everyone has to be near it.
Corvette is an icon, and they attract attention...this attention can be nice and sometimes not so nice. When people see one, they automatically want to take a closer look. They're not going to park close to the building and walk out there for a look...Instead, they will park close, look it over, and then walk inside wishing they had one.

Do what I do...if the parking lot is fairly empty out there, park on the end of the row with your car angling backwards across two parking spots. If the lot is crowded, take it home and get the family beater.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:31 PM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

because they know you called their car regular
Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Lionsden
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffgdula
I don't have this problem if I drive my 'regular' Corvette.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:48 PM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive my 1990 Acura beater for shopping and movies. The C6 comes out for cruising. Now obviously there are some exceptions, such as going to dinner. So I park as far and safely as I can, and I never take up two spaces. It's like an open invitation to iritate some people.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 AM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

That gave me a good laugh!

I usually use other vehicles to do errands but it's just been to nice to not be behind the wheel of my C6. I never take more than one space. As mentioned that seems to be an invitation for something to happen. Some people view that as the person thinking they are better than everyone else.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I usually go to either Home Depot or Lowes with my truck. It was a really nice day and I decided to take the Vette. I normally park as far away from the store as possible in the last parking spot where no one else would park. As I am returning to my car I see a shopping cart next to it. Some stupid idiot had hit my drivers' side door with the dam cart. No cars or trucks anywhere around and some moron manages to hit my car with a shopping cart.

So I can not explain why people park next to our cars. Look at the bright side. People have only parked next to yours. They actually scratched mine.

After much rubbing and polishing you can hardly see it
Old 07-25-2005, 02:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Best thing to do is use your second car for errands that are risky like this

I know how you feel it always happens.
This just happened to me today except I wasn't in my C-6 but I was in another nice car which is not a beater. Fk idiot A hole hit my door at a down hill slant and all he could say is sorry that it got away ..didn't offer me any $$ or anything so sorry does alot to help me.
fyi: I was in the car at the time and heard this big boom. But luckily there are no paint breaks so I can get a dent pro out to smooth out that ding if I decide too.
All I have to say is an eye for an eye. And I always win in the end

Last edited by LS WON; 09-10-2005 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:02 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh

Do what I do...if the parking lot is fairly empty out there, park on the end of the row with your car angling backwards across two parking spots.
NEVER EVER TAKE UP TWO PARKING SPACES! Your just asking for trouble.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:33 AM
JSTMYSPD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
Old 07-25-2005, 06:39 AM
ss409cid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jeffgdula
Old 07-25-2005, 06:51 AM
bub
Safety Car

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

It is just one of those unavoidable things. Happens all the time with a Vette, or any nice vehicle for that matter. The careless amongst us in those "regular" cars outnumber us about 100 to 1.

I have gone both ways on the 2 spot theory. We have a real nice place at work where only two spots exist side-by-side in one area of the lot. There, I always double park it, but that's work, and the people there already know that I'm an **** SOB anyway.

At a Wal Mart or Home Depot, I tend to look for a spot around back or just off to the side where most people never travel or see it. Just keep it far enough away from truck shipping lanes and you're golden. Try to stack the deck in your favor.

Short story: You are "safe" from the careless parking around you nowhere. Some of the worst stuff to happen to our SUV's, including our new '05 Z51 Tahoe, has happened in the CHURCH PARKING LOT!

As you may, or may not be aware, the F & R bumpers on the Z51 Tahoe are painted body color, not chrome. I have come to realize that this is not a good thing...again, yet another invitation to the careless amongst us.

Besides the rock chips, this is mahem waiting to happen in a nose to nose parking lot. Someone took out a 1" "disc" of paint off the front yesterday by nosing me in the lot Sunday. Guess they decided they were going in for confession anyway, so why leave a note, huh?

Last edited by bub; 07-25-2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the reason I don't park out by my self. I would rather park closer in and choose the car I want next to me. I look for a nicer car and park next to it
Old 07-25-2005, 07:48 AM
tom4416
Racer

1. NEVER take up two spots. Open invitation to damage your car.
2. NEVER park nose to nose. People can't see the front of the Vette since it is so low and inadvertently nudge it, which, on a Vette, can be a $1000.00 hit.
3. NEVER park anywhere near the cart corrals in the parking lot and never be downstream from a cart corral.
4. NEVER take the Vette to a parking lot right after applying your fifth coat of Zaino. People will migrate to it to see why it looks the way it does. Seriously, the dirtier, the better.
5. ALWAYS protect one side by picking the end spot and hugging the curb on the protected side.
6. ALWAYS park as far out in the lot as possible, hopefully making it inconvenient for others to park next to you.
7. Put an empty shopping cart in the space next to yours. This has worked for me almost 100% of the time. Make sure if it rolls, it rolls downhill away from you. It will at least protect the space next to you until someone parks in the one next to that and uses the empty cart. A fellow Vette owner goes one step further and puts a Pampers with some artificial poop in it in the cart and no one ever moves that cart!
8. RESIGN yourself to the fact that eventually someone is going to chip or scratch the paint and that it is, after all, a car.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:03 AM
2bubbas
Drifting

Originally Posted by bub
It is just one of those unavoidable things. Happens all the time with a Vette, or any nice vehicle for that matter. The careless amongst us in those "regular" cars outnumber us about 100 to 1.

I have gone both ways on the 2 spot theory. We have a real nice place at work where only two spots exist side-by-side in one area of the lot. There, I always double park it, but that's work, and the people there already know that I'm an **** SOB anyway.

At a Wal Mart or Home Depot, I tend to look for a spot around back or just off to the side where most people never travel or see it. Just keep it far enough away from truck shipping lanes and you're golden. Try to stack the deck in your favor.

Short story: You are "safe" from the careless parking around you nowhere. Some of the worst stuff to happen to our SUV's, including our new '05 Z51 Tahoe, has happened in the CHURCH PARKING LOT!

As you may, or may not be aware, the F & R bumpers on the Z51 Tahoe are painted body color, not chrome. I have come to realize that this is not a good thing...again, yet another invitation to the careless amongst us.

Besides the rock chips, this is mahem waiting to happen in a nose to nose parking lot. Someone took out a 1" "disc" of paint off the front yesterday by nosing me in the lot Sunday. Guess they decided they were going in for confession anyway, so why leave a note, huh?
My worst damage to my Corvettes has always been the church parking lots. Guy in Cadillac parked about 1 foot from the passenger door because I was in the last spot before the driveway entrance. When I saw that, I waited until every car was out of the lot but mine and his. He must have been watching because he out waited me. Wish I'd not just been to church and had a large hammer. Actually my wife stopped me from making an *** out of myself by going in and dragging him out of there. Could have been a her I quess. I let it ruin my whole day, after a good start.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do people have to park next to the Corvette???

Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Home Depot parking lots filled with errant shopping and lumber carts, dizzy housewives loading up on flats of flowers, dads struggling to get copper tubing and PVC pipe into the backs of their SUVs, and illegal alien masons from nations where running over stray dogs is considered great sport driving 30 year old beater pick ups, are about as close to a demolition derby as you're going to find.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:20 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Even parking far away jealous people see it as arrogant and then park next to you just to **** you off, there is little you can do to protect yourself or car from someone that really wants to harm it.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tom4416
...ALWAYS protect one side by picking the end spot and hugging the curb on the protected side....
This is also my choice when I must absolutely park at a box store or at the mall.

Quick Reply: Why do people have to park next to the Corvette???