C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question for a c6 OnStar user with NAV

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Default quick question for a c6 OnStar user with NAV

When you use OnStar, I am pretty sure it mutes the radio. But, my question is, do you know what speaker(s) then play the OnStar communications? I'm curious as to whether it goes thru 1 or more of the 7 radio speakers, or whether there's a dedicated speaker just for the OnStar.

FYI -- I'm asking b/c I'm wonder if the OnStar audio is somehow coupled thru the NAV head unit or if it is fairly independent (other than muting the factory unit).

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Fred C. Dobbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know and will watch for an answer. I'd rather not put my ears to each speaker while I'm driving. Too much danger of spilling my coffee.
Fred C.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't say for sure WHICH speakers of the audio system it comes through, but it definitely doesn't have it's own independant speaker(s). OnStar mutes the NAV radio's audio and then plays over the stereo system speakers.

whether it plays over just the fronts or all, i have no idea.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:32 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Thanks for the thoughts and I'd sure appreciate an update on which speakers.

However, let's not go overboard if Fred is going to hurt himself doing research. Also, Fred, my check to you for $0.75 is in the mail for your coffee, unless you do Starbucks as my wife enjoys, in which case I guess it's about eight bucks?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:43 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveL2
When you use OnStar, I am pretty sure it mutes the radio. But, my question is, do you know what speaker(s) then play the OnStar communications? I'm curious as to whether it goes thru 1 or more of the 7 radio speakers, or whether there's a dedicated speaker just for the OnStar.

FYI -- I'm asking b/c I'm wonder if the OnStar audio is somehow coupled thru the NAV head unit or if it is fairly independent (other than muting the factory unit).

Thanks.
The OnStar audio is fed to the HU and goes out through the speakers same as any other audio source in the car.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:10 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shopdog
The OnStar audio is fed to the HU and goes out through the speakers same as any other audio source in the car.
That would've been my guess, but since I understand from someone brilliant (i.e., you ) that OnStar mutes the radio, I was then wondering how that same radio could send out the OnStar signal. I guess the radio has the ability to mute the tuner/xm/cd signal while still passing the OnStar signal and that the amp is left live to then amplify and send the OnStar to some/all of the car speakers?

I also was hoping that the Bose amplifier was muted at the same time as the radio, because I plan on connecting speaker signals from another unit to the amplifier mid-range outputs and I don't want those signals to any way damage the amplifier, which I was hoping would be muted when I used the OnStar mute input. Perhaps the output impedance of the amp can handle this even if not muted?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To quick question for a c6 OnStar user with NAV

Quick Reply: quick question for a c6 OnStar user with NAV