C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window-to-rubber-seal squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Window to rubber seal squeak

My car has developed a little squeak when going over bumps at the top of the driver window where the window meets the rubber on the removable top. Seems to me I remember there is some sort of "snot in a can" type stuff you can spray on rubber to moisten it up so that it doesn't bind when rubbing on something. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Does anyone have a link, and do you think that's the right thing to use? I've already checked the alignment of the top, the indexing of the windows, and other obvious things.

TIA,
Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 07-26-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 PM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

silicone grease, i got the spray can from Autozone but that gets too messy so I would recommend getting it in a tube. You only need to apply a very small amount of it. This stuff should also be applied on all of your weatherstripping atleast once every couple of months to keep them from cracking.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Don LT-1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIPERxGTx2000
silicone grease, i got the spray can from Autozone but that gets too messy so I would recommend getting it in a tube. You only need to apply a very small amount of it. This stuff should also be applied on all of your weatherstripping atleast once every couple of months to keep them from cracking.
Had same squeak. works!!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:04 AM
vette6500
Pro

I haven't tried it, but seems like people were mentioning the "Shin Etsu" grease from Honda.

I have tried dielectric silicone grease (used for spark plugs) and I think it helped, but I ended up wiping it all because it smears on the window edges. It's been months since wiping it off, and I think my windows still has marks on it from it. Maybe the grease for spark plugs is the wrong type. I would try the Chevy part# shown in the owner's manual.

Tried to buy a tube of it last time I was at a dealer, but the parts guy looked at me funny and said I should just ask service to apply some for free if there are squeaks, since still under warranty. I said ok and talked to service manager about what the parts guy said and he has never heard of using silicone grease and suggested I try cleaning the weatherseals with Windex. Seemed to me like he did not want to bother with writing up such a minor request... Boy, these Chevy dealerships need to take some after-work courses on customer service...
Been living with constant squeaks, but it does annoy...
Will have to visit the Honda dealer soon, if not for the Shin Etsu, just to be reminded of what a normal dealership service feels like.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:27 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I use the spray silicone grease available at the local parts store. It's worked well for me in the past. I spray it onto a paper towel or rag and then wipe it on my gaskets to prevent overspray. I do this about once a week, or more often if the roof comes off alot.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:31 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK. Thanks. I'll try the silicone grease and see what happens. It's not what I was remembering but if it works I don't care. The stuff I remember having many years ago came in a can about the size of a spray touchup paint can, it had a picture of a dashboard on it, and the wording on the can said something to the effect of "squeak gone" with some words about how spraying it on squeaky parts of your interior will stop the noise. It was made just for that. May have been nothing more than spray silicone grease though, and they may not make it any more. That was at least a decade ago.

Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 AM
vette6500
Pro

Originally Posted by arcticblast
I use the spray silicone grease available at the local parts store. It's worked well for me in the past. I spray it onto a paper towel or rag and then wipe it on my gaskets to prevent overspray. I do this about once a week, or more often if the roof comes off alot.
I am thinking about getting tint on my windows. Do you know if using these silicone grease where the windows contacts weatherseals will affect the tint?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 AM
PimpDadd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the stuff to buy for the rubber seal squeak was Gummiphledge or something like that... or am I crazy? lol
Old 07-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

where oh where is the silicone in a tube too be found ? i've been unable to find it at autozone, advance auto, pep boys, and carquest.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:33 AM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Zig
where oh where is the silicone in a tube too be found ? i've been unable to find it at autozone, advance auto, pep boys, and carquest.
I was unable to find it either. That's why I bought the silicone spray can. But apparently there is a tube of it because some forum members were talking about it a while back. You could buy the spray can and use arcticblast's method.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERxGTx2000
I was unable to find it either. That's why I bought the silicone spray can. But apparently there is a tube of it because some forum members were talking about it a while back. You could buy the spray can and use arcticblast's method.
i've tried the spray on rag trick but it doesn't seem that i can get enough onto the seal because the squeak returned....
Old 07-28-2005, 09:40 AM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by vette6500
I am thinking about getting tint on my windows. Do you know if using these silicone grease where the windows contacts weatherseals will affect the tint?
Silicone grease when put on correctly is hardly noticable. This may sound dumb, but it's non-greasy. It made my weather strips much darker in color and that's about it. I ran my finger across the weather strips and got a very little amount of residue if any. So it shouldn't affect your tint or leave any residue on it.

Last edited by C7Z51; 07-28-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:44 AM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Zig
i've tried the spray on rag trick but it doesn't seem that i can get enough onto the seal because the squeak returned....
I would suggest taking it to the dealer then to see what they recommend. I don't have any squeaks with my windows but i do have a very annoying rattle from the door that i'm going to get fixed by the dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Window-to-rubber-seal squeak

Quick Reply: Window-to-rubber-seal squeak