C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 and Boxster S - On-Track Observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 and Boxster S - On-Track Observations

I guess that I may be the only member of this forum who owns both a C6 (Z51) and a Boxster S (2003). Over the weekend I had both cars on the track at Gingerman in South Haven, Mich. with the Porsche Club. I would like to share some of my thoughts and on-track experiences with those of you who have participated in various C6 vs. Boxster discussions on this forum.

Gingerman is a flat 1.88 mile track with two 1400 foot straights, an 1100 foot straight with a slight kink, and two 900 foot straights. The rest of the track is twisty. It is a 2nd and 3rd gear track, where you may sometimes go into 4th gear but only for a short time.

Over the weekend I did a total of 3 hours track time in 6 sessions probably 200+ miles, with about 70% Boxster time and 30% C6. The smaller time allocation to the C6 was because it is my wife's car and I did not want her to get the impression I was trashing her vehicle. Also, I took the C6 out late in the day when the track sessions were not crowded and there was less chance of a car on car mishap.

I knew the Boxster was a great handling car, but what I did not expect was that the C6 is not that far behind. In fact the C6 handled as well as the Boxster on all sections of the track except for a carousal section where I could get the Boxster over to the extreme inside right edge of the track before darting down a short straight to the left. The C6 could not hold as tight a line through this section. But this was only a minor difference in overall handling prowess. Through the faster corners there was not much difference.

I did not time any laps as there was too much traffic to get in a clean lap all by yourself. I would say that the acceleration coming off corners with the C6 is just astounding. I have never driven a 400 HP car on the track before, and when coming out of corners in 2nd gear and shifting up to 3rd, I could match just about any of the 911 Turbos and 996 Porsche production cars. Also, it sure seemed like the C6 cornered on a par with any of those cars. The Boxsters were absolutely outclassed. In fact I now wonder why we ever had the C6 vs. Boxster discussion, a more proper discussion might be C6 vs. 997.

A few times I did off-line passes on slower cars coming into a corner and the C6 brakes just hauled me down very quickly enabling me to get back on-line and shoot for the proper apex. The C6 brakes are outstanding and it is now clear to me that in most cases I was braking too early and not fully using the brake power of the car. I had one situation where a 911 spun in front of me and I had to get on the brakes big time. That really taught me how powerful the brakes really are, as I slowed way down in a short distance and steered out of trouble.

One thing I like about the Boxster is that it can be pointed exactly where you want to go, very precise steering. The C6 Z51 has this same characteristic, it steers and points really well. The C6 is a very comfortable car to drive and you can gradually drive faster and faster and feel comfortable. One strange problem that I encountered was that my helmet kept bouncing off the upper window frame in tight corners. I am not a big guy (5' 8") so I wonder if that could be a problem for a taller driver. I was running with the transparent roof.

On my Boxster the Porsche Stability Mgmt system can be turned off, but it comes back on automatically whenever you brake hard enough to activate the ABS. So effectively you can't really turn the system off.

When I started lapping in the C6 I forgot to turn off the normal active handling and thus did not go into the competitive mode. I was surprised that the active handling system on the C6 is not intrusive at all. But my style of driving is on the smooth side, i.e. I try not to lose traction while cornering and gradually apply the gas coming out of corners keeping as near to the limit of traction as possible. I can get good laptimes without sliding all over the track. The active handling only kicked in a few times and it was a nice gentle hint that I was over the edge.

I can't say how the active handling system would work for someone who goes way deep into the corners with very heavy braking and then accelerates hard and early. If someone drives that aggressively the active handling will be a hinderance and a switch to the competitive mode is the way to go.

At times we have had discussions regarding Porsche drivers and Corvette drivers, kind of a class distinction. I must say that a lot of Porsche people were interested in the C6 and I had numerous conversations and answered a lot of questions. The car got a lot of attention and a lot of looks.

In summary, the Boxster is not in the same class as the C6. The handling of both cars is very close with a slight edge to the Boxster. The C6 acceleration and braking completely outclass the Boxster. While the Boxster has great brakes you are generally braking from much slower speed than the C6. The C6 has it all, it is a great car.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:39 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Thanks Dannov ... nice write up ...

There were two boxsters at the track event I was at last week ... bigger track ... it was a practice day ... They were much slower around the track than the c5s or C6s (especially the c5 Z06s ) ... easily passed ...

The 997s - that was another story ...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Thanks Dannov ... nice write up ...

There were two boxsters at the track event I was at last week ... bigger track ... it was a practice day ... They were much slower around the track than the c5s or C6s (especially the c5 Z06s ) ... easily passed ...

The 997s - that was another story ...
I read your earlier posting about your experience at Brainard. That is a fast track with a long straight and a fast set of corners right after turn 1. Cars with big power rule that place.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DANNOV
I guess that I may be the only member of this forum who owns both a C6 (Z51) and a Boxster S (2003). Over the weekend I had both cars on the track at Gingerman in South Haven, Mich. with the Porsche Club. I would like to share some of my thoughts and on-track experiences with those of you who have participated in various C6 vs. Boxster discussions on this forum.

Gingerman is a flat 1.88 mile track with two 1400 foot straights, an 1100 foot straight with a slight kink, and two 900 foot straights. The rest of the track is twisty. It is a 2nd and 3rd gear track, where you may sometimes go into 4th gear but only for a short time.

Over the weekend I did a total of 3 hours track time in 6 sessions probably 200+ miles, with about 70% Boxster time and 30% C6. The smaller time allocation to the C6 was because it is my wife's car and I did not want her to get the impression I was trashing her vehicle. Also, I took the C6 out late in the day when the track sessions were not crowded and there was less chance of a car on car mishap.

I knew the Boxster was a great handling car, but what I did not expect was that the C6 is not that far behind. In fact the C6 handled as well as the Boxster on all sections of the track except for a carousal section where I could get the Boxster over to the extreme inside right edge of the track before darting down a short straight to the left. The C6 could not hold as tight a line through this section. But this was only a minor difference in overall handling prowess. Through the faster corners there was not much difference.

I did not time any laps as there was too much traffic to get in a clean lap all by yourself. I would say that the acceleration coming off corners with the C6 is just astounding. I have never driven a 400 HP car on the track before, and when coming out of corners in 2nd gear and shifting up to 3rd, I could match just about any of the 911 Turbos and 996 Porsche production cars. Also, it sure seemed like the C6 cornered on a par with any of those cars. The Boxsters were absolutely outclassed. In fact I now wonder why we ever had the C6 vs. Boxster discussion, a more proper discussion might be C6 vs. 997.

A few times I did off-line passes on slower cars coming into a corner and the C6 brakes just hauled me down very quickly enabling me to get back on-line and shoot for the proper apex. The C6 brakes are outstanding and it is now clear to me that in most cases I was braking too early and not fully using the brake power of the car. I had one situation where a 911 spun in front of me and I had to get on the brakes big time. That really taught me how powerful the brakes really are, as I slowed way down in a short distance and steered out of trouble.

One thing I like about the Boxster is that it can be pointed exactly where you want to go, very precise steering. The C6 Z51 has this same characteristic, it steers and points really well. The C6 is a very comfortable car to drive and you can gradually drive faster and faster and feel comfortable. One strange problem that I encountered was that my helmet kept bouncing off the upper window frame in tight corners. I am not a big guy (5' 8") so I wonder if that could be a problem for a taller driver. I was running with the transparent roof.

On my Boxster the Porsche Stability Mgmt system can be turned off, but it comes back on automatically whenever you brake hard enough to activate the ABS. So effectively you can't really turn the system off.

When I started lapping in the C6 I forgot to turn off the normal active handling and thus did not go into the competitive mode. I was surprised that the active handling system on the C6 is not intrusive at all. But my style of driving is on the smooth side, i.e. I try not to lose traction while cornering and gradually apply the gas coming out of corners keeping as near to the limit of traction as possible. I can get good laptimes without sliding all over the track. The active handling only kicked in a few times and it was a nice gentle hint that I was over the edge.

I can't say how the active handling system would work for someone who goes way deep into the corners with very heavy braking and then accelerates hard and early. If someone drives that aggressively the active handling will be a hinderance and a switch to the competitive mode is the way to go.

At times we have had discussions regarding Porsche drivers and Corvette drivers, kind of a class distinction. I must say that a lot of Porsche people were interested in the C6 and I had numerous conversations and answered a lot of questions. The car got a lot of attention and a lot of looks.

In summary, the Boxster is not in the same class as the C6. The handling of both cars is very close with a slight edge to the Boxster. The C6 acceleration and braking completely outclass the Boxster. While the Boxster has great brakes you are generally braking from much slower speed than the C6. The C6 has it all, it is a great car.
Great Post!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Wow great comparison........

How do you compare both cars suspension feel?

The Boxster should be a little tighter than the C6......

I would think that since the Boxster is less prone to power sliding oversteer you can put the power down earlier when you exit the corner?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

I read your earlier posting about your experience at Brainard. That is a fast track with a long straight and a fast set of corners right after turn 1. Cars with big power rule that place.
Dannov,

Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 PM
HighwaySpeed
Burning Brakes

Good Story!

Imagine If The Boxter S Had 400 HP & 400 LB!
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent write up!

Thanks for taking the time to pass on your thoughts.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:19 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Great write-up.
Oilpatch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Very interesting - thanks!
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

good write-up!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:28 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ivan111
Wow great comparison........

How do you compare both cars suspension feel?

The Boxster should be a little tighter than the C6......

I would think that since the Boxster is less prone to power sliding oversteer you can put the power down earlier when you exit the corner?
Both cars feel very tight through the corners, lot of grip. I was surprised that there was not more difference between them. If you drive them one after the other you feel a lot of similarity despite a completely different layout, design, size and weight distribution. I certainly did not expect that. The C6 almost drives like a smaller car than it is.

But if you are early and heavy on the power coming out of the corner, the C6 is certainly more exciting and a bigger handful than the Boxster.
But I don't drive that way, I learned a long time ago that power sliding out of corners may be exciting but it is the slow way to go for most drivers. I think that if you drive just fast enough so that the stability control is just about to kick-in or is lightly kicking-in, you are cornering plenty fast, right at the edge of traction.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Diocles
Racer

Thanks for the informative post!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:43 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Both cars feel very tight through the corners, lot of grip. I was surprised that there was not more difference between them. If you drive them one after the other you feel a lot of similarity despite a completely different layout, design, size and weight distribution. I certainly did not expect that. The C6 almost drives like a smaller car than it is.

But if you are early and heavy on the power coming out of the corner, the C6 is certainly more exciting and a bigger handful than the Boxster.
But I don't drive that way, I learned a long time ago that power sliding out of corners may be exciting but it is the slow way to go for most drivers. I think that if you drive just fast enough so that the stability control is just about to kick-in or is lightly kicking-in, you are cornering plenty fast, right at the edge of traction.
Yeah you are correct........

The reason that i ask how the suspension tightness of both cars compare is because it has been said that the 997S has better body movement control than the C6.....

So is interesting to see also how the C6 compares in this area against the Boxster, that will be more noticeable in elevation changes and dips....
Old 08-10-2005, 03:22 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Very nice writeup!

One thing that surprises me about the Boxster, and the 997 for that matter, is the active handling (or Porsche Stability Management - PSM as they call it), can't be turned off and left off. As you mentioned, it will come back on at the first hint of ABS. I think it is nice that the Corvette people allow you to turn it off and leave it off, and they even have an intermediate "Competition" mode. The only way to get away from this problem with the Porsches is to buy the more expensive GT2's and GT3's, which don't have PSM, and are far more money. I like the idea of being in control of my own car, rather than the car controlling me.

Michael
Old 08-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Dannov,

Thanks for the write up. Now I'm even more enthused to be going to Spring Mountain. I have never raced on a road course and now I'll have the chance. I've done well in some karting venues, so it will be interesting to see if this transfers to the big leagues.

I think I would like to take my C6 to the track once or twice, but beyond that, I think I need to pick up another car to start racing with. I think I'm catching that bug rather quickly. Spring Mountain will undoubtedly push me over the edge.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Danov

Good to read a write up about two cars that are ownd and driven by the same person. same day, same track. Many times ppl compare one car to another. But the comparison is on different days and differnt drivers.

and Datawiz, taking a High Performance Driving school is like eating ONE potato chip.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 and Boxster S - On-Track Observations

Old 08-10-2005, 08:28 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael A
Very nice writeup!

One thing that surprises me about the Boxster, and the 997 for that matter, is the active handling (or Porsche Stability Management - PSM as they call it), can't be turned off and left off. As you mentioned, it will come back on at the first hint of ABS. I think it is nice that the Corvette people allow you to turn it off and leave it off, and they even have an intermediate "Competition" mode. The only way to get away from this problem with the Porsches is to buy the more expensive GT2's and GT3's, which don't have PSM, and are far more money. I like the idea of being in control of my own car, rather than the car controlling me.

Michael
Michael
The PSM system on my Boxster is very unobtrusive. It operates in the deep background and seldom comes into play. The one point where you really notice it working, is in the wet.

Earlier this year at Road America it was raining and I went into turn 6 a bit too hot. This is a blind left hand turn at the top of a hill just after you go under a bridge. You start accelerating here to get up speed for a faster section that comes a bit later.

I started sliding sideways on all four wheels, heading off the track to the right. This is a bad spot because it is a blind corner and cars coming from behind can't see very far ahead. I was preparing to go off-track big time. But the PSM system kicked in...you could feel the selective braking action taking hold...I regained traction....it was like magic!
I really like the Porsche system and while I have not tested the C6 system in the wet (that is the ultimate test) it did not intrude much (only once that I could detect) in my session at Gingerman.

A lot of drivers want to turn these systems off, it is almost a macho thing for some guys. I met a guy at Road America last year who was driving a new Porsche Turbo with a Tiptonic trans. I asked him if he keep the traction control system on and he said "No, I like to have control over the car". A bit later we were talking again and I asked him about what gear he was using for a particular corner. He said " I just leave it in automatic mode the whole time". Not very consistent, probably a guy who wanted to be a macho type driver but could not shift gears.

But remember, all the Formula 1 and Champ cars use such a system. In a high powered car it enables you to get the power down without losing traction. If it is good enough for Michael Schumacher to use, then it it good enough for DANNOV. With all the big power that production cars have these days, some form of traction control is necessary for all except the most experienced high speed racers. I am not in that category
Old 08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

I have also had my C6 out to the track (Texas World Speedway), but my driving attitude is a little different than yours. I come from racing Miatas, so I tend to have a very fast, smooth line, but while I concentrate on maintaining speed, I also concentrate on fast exit speeds.

I am very aggressive with my cars, and I want to get every last bit of performance out of them that I can. Power sliding (drifting) is indeed the slowest way out of a corner. Trailbraking can be faster or slower, depending on the corner, and so can taking a late apex "exploding" out of the hole. TWS tends to reward drivers who can do both -- turn one almost demands trailbraking, and there are a few that need to be taken very late and acceleration needs to be very hard out of the hole (turns 13,14,15).

I found my fastest times were in Competitive Mode. The computer only steps in when you're way over the line, and manages to smooth out a lot of imperfections in your line. I could definately feel it working coming into turn one. I did try a few laps with everything turned off, and the Corvette is a handful then. It taught me a lot about how to drive the car in the other modes, but there's a reason that Competitive Mode is named what it is, and I highly advise using it on the track.

If the standard stability control didn't kick in much, I don't think you were pushing the car very hard. I find the standard stability to be intrusive and it hides a lot of information from you about how the car is really handling at the limit. I find it limiting and very difficult to get the car to do what I want when it is engaged.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:06 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Great write-up.

So, in summary, your wife is the smarter car owner? J/k.

Quick Reply: C6 and Boxster S - On-Track Observations