C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Elite Engineering Pedal Install!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM
huge.eug
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Help with Elite Engineering Pedal Install!!

Bought the awesome Elite Engineering pedals, and like a few others, I'm having a hard time getting the retention pin off the accelerator arm. I had to break the OEM pedal off. But I can't get the damn pin out. I've used Vise-grips, tried prying it off, tapping it out, twisting it off, and tried pushing it out with a C-clamp, and I can't get the damn thing out.

Any ideas?

Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM
self1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you need to think of an improvised puller, since you SURE aren't going to be doing what comes natural to me, in there (use a torch ).... do you have some flat stock (alum or steel plate) and some fine pitch bolts, nuts, washers, that you can arrange to pull the pin (think of how your steering wheel puller works)... The blue head needs to come left, so you may need a plate with slot or cutaway to slide under shoulder... maybe even just that plate with a good old prybar slid in between and then twisted...?

Last edited by self1; 08-18-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:48 PM
DWRHODA
Instructor

Try the smallest socket you can get over the blue head.
Then use vise grips or c clamp to force pin into the socket.
Once you get it moving just a bit,it will be easy.

Dave
Old 08-18-2005, 08:59 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Almost looks like you could get a claw hammer around the head of the pin. I had a hell of a time with mine too. Ended up using adjustable pliers...one jaw on the pedal arm and on on the end of the pin. Good luck...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 PM
chris36053
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnutt
I had a hell of a time with mine too. Ended up using adjustable pliers...one jaw on the pedal arm and on on the end of the pin. Good luck...

this is what i did also, it took a couple tries but i finally got it.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:29 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I just finished my install and had the same problem. A ten minutes job reported by some took me over two hours and one trip to the hardware for the proper drill bits. I finally twisted the pin off of each side of the pedal arm and then drilled it out! What a PITA. I could not think of anything else to do.

I have no problem with the quality of the pedal or the install as it seems to be ok in many cases, however even though I drilled out the hole to the exact dimensions of the new pin, the pedal seems loose. It will "turn" slightly toward the center of the car, though it does not seem to be a problem when I drive.
I am pleased with the product, but convinced Godzilla installed my OEM pin.

Jim

Last edited by anothercrisis; 08-18-2005 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can not tell from your pic, but if you have not done so already, you HAVE to remove the torsional spring first.

Last edited by calemasters; 08-18-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time getting the pin removed. I have talked to many many owners and not even 3% had problems. It looks like you had gorilla arms install your pin.

Anyway the best idea I have heard was to use a larger socket over the head of the pin in conjunction with a C-clamp. You should be able to tighten the C-clamp and press the pin through the lever arm. I hope this helps.

Once you install the new pedal, be sure the tension spring falls into the groove in the shoulder bolt. This will remove any "play" in the pedal. See attached picture.

I hope this helps

Attached Images  

Last edited by Elite Engineering; 08-19-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 PM
icedancer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

try a squirt of WD-40 and wait an hour, may help enough to not need a crowbar.

Don't forget the dropcloths.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:02 AM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by vettnutt
Almost looks like you could get a claw hammer around the head of the pin. I had a hell of a time with mine too. Ended up using adjustable pliers...one jaw on the pedal arm and on on the end of the pin. Good luck...
Exactly, then it just slid right out like it was greased...
Old 08-19-2005, 10:32 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmm...last night did the pedal install... nice work Elite Engineering on the machining...some of the best I have seen... accelerator pedal pin almost fell out...no effort to remove... hmmm...maybe some are pushed in too far causing the splines on the pin to embedded into the accelerator arm... anyway took about 10 minutes to install.
Michael
Old 08-19-2005, 08:24 PM
huge.eug
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite Engineering
I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time getting the pin removed. I have talked to many many owners and not even 3% had problems. It looks like you had gorilla arms install your pin.

Anyway the best idea I have heard was to use a larger socket over the head of the pin in conjunction with a C-clamp. You should be able to tighten the C-clamp and press the pin through the lever arm. I hope this helps.

Once you install the new pedal, be sure the tension spring falls into the groove in the shoulder bolt. This will remove any "play" in the pedal. See attached picture.

I hope this helps

Hey, finally tried it this way, and the pin (reluctantly) finally came out. Wow, that thing was in there TIGHT!

Thanks to all for your ideas, particularly Jeff's (since I tried it and it worked). This forum is the best!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:47 PM
rmreid
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by anothercrisis
I just finished my install and had the same problem. A ten minutes job reported by some took me over two hours and one trip to the hardware for the proper drill bits. I finally twisted the pin off of each side of the pedal arm and then drilled it out! What a PITA. I could not think of anything else to do.
I lived this through this same exact issue and finally gave up, slammed the door and went in the house for a double JD Wife saw my frustration grabbed the vise grips and pulled the damn pin right out I guess I must have loosened it up for her
Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 PM
vetteman22
Pro

thats probably why you keep her around to bail you out of hard times

j/k

I have a set ,after reading this I went out to try it myself....I got an old pair of ceramic tile nippers and it fit behind the bolt...when I squeezed,it just poped it right out....the cutter is sharp on the ends so it wedges itself right behind the bolt and instant out even saved the .25 orignial pedal...hope this helps someone out there total time 4 minutes to find my nippers,15 seconds to pop the bolt loose. 5-6 minutes to reinstall..cause I couldn't get my body under there very well..did it all by blind feeling...works great! next the dead pedal...thats a job for tomorrow...

Last edited by vetteman22; 08-19-2005 at 10:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Elite Engineering Pedal Install!!

Quick Reply: Help with Elite Engineering Pedal Install!!