C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket exhaust causes "check engine" light to come on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 AM
dwarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust causes "check engine" light to come on?

I Installed B&B Route 66 exhaust.. 2 weeks later, check engine light comes on, and has been on for a week now. On C6's the "check engine" light almost always indicates an emission control issue. (It used to be that the light could mean almost ANYTHING.)

Additionally, my cruise control stopped working at the same time the check engine light came on. Coincidence? I have NO idea. (BTW.. Yes , I checked the fuses)

I've also heard that low quality gasoline (despite being "premium") can cause rapid clogging of the fuel injectors, causing the light to come on.

Of course, the logical thing is to take it to the dealership. But.... If they don't get a fault code when they hook it up, they're going to tell me that aftermarket exhausts affect the emissions (which they do), and that my CAGS eliminator is also a possible cause. Then they'll promplty dismiss me, stating that "It's MY problem" cuz I de-GMed it.

Opinions? Advice?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

The cruise control should be their problem though. I think that I'd get the car up on the lift and double check all of the connections an wire routing. Then I'd get the dealer to address the cruise control.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:13 AM
CaseyKasey
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwarga
I Installed B&B Route 66 exhaust.. 2 weeks later, check engine light comes on, and has been on for a week now. On C6's the "check engine" light almost always indicates an emission control issue. (It used to be that the light could mean almost ANYTHING.)

Additionally, my cruise control stopped working at the same time the check engine light came on. Coincidence? I have NO idea. (BTW.. Yes , I checked the fuses)

I've also heard that low quality gasoline (despite being "premium") can cause rapid clogging of the fuel injectors, causing the light to come on.

Of course, the logical thing is to take it to the dealership. But.... If they don't get a fault code when they hook it up, they're going to tell me that aftermarket exhausts affect the emissions (which they do), and that my CAGS eliminator is also a possible cause. Then they'll promplty dismiss me, stating that "It's MY problem" cuz I de-GMed it.

Opinions? Advice?
Not sure if it is the Route 66s, but other than that...are you happy with them? Did you purchase the X-pipe?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:31 AM
dwarga
Instructor

Yep. Happy w/ the Route 66. No X-pipe. There IS drone between 15-1700rpm, no matter what B&B tells you. It's annoying when driving at my most common speeds... 52MPH in 5th, and 72MPH in 6th.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:42 AM
jruss361
Racer

The drone is the same thing same place as my C5 was with the Route 66's. Plus the tips never did line up where they should. Right side tipped down more then the left side.
Thanks but NO thanks!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

my bullets have never had any issues. the check engine light is also associated with the front breathing apparatus alot of the time. get a scan tool and reset it yourself. i think there is also a batter unplug method that works. try it yourself first and see if the car returns to normal. if so, then good for you. if not, THEN take it to the dealer. good luck man!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:58 AM
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Just a thought .. check your gas cap .. has to be on tight.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

First of all, the exhaust you put on would not effect emissions in any measurable way. The exhaust is behind the Catalytic convertors. I realize that technically, they could be illegal in some states, but they will not increase emissions.

It is unlikely that the exhaust itself is the problem. It is possible that when being installed that something was inadvertantly done to cause the problem. There are a variety of wires and connectors under the car that could have been snagged and pulled loose.

There are many on the forum with aftermarket exhausts who have had no problems. I put Bullets on my car myself, and have no problems. And Joel has installed so many that he is a "Master" B&B installer. I have heard of no problems on any of his installations either.

I'd take it to the dealer and have them check for codes. If they tell you it's your exhaust, ask them specifically how that would be. If it does turn out that something was done during the install, take it like man and pay for the fix. But if the dealer does blame it on the exhaust, be sure it really is the cause. The Magnesson Moss Act would be interesting reading for you before you take it in.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I don't believe the exhaust install and the Check engine light are related. I put B&B Bullets on mine without any issues. A cat back exhaust should not trigger any codes. It certainly wont effect the cruise control. A scan tool should reveal the stored code. I would take it to the dealer to have both issues resolved. My bet is they are unrelated to the exhaust. Could be an 02 sensor.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:51 AM
1320fan
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you fuel up with the engine running? Sometimes that can cause the check engine light to come on.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Why don't you take it to dealer and have them check it out?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
SickRick
Drifting

I just did a SuperMaxx header system (w/cats) & a GHL exhaust. No check lites. Highly unlikely the mufflers caused this, unless someone forgot to plug in the 02 sensor when they dropped the H-Pipe for installation, or damaged an 02 sensor in the process. If this is the case, then the fix is likely going to be out-of-pocket, though there is little chance that the presence of the mufflers themselves would cause an 02 sensor failure.

Rick
Old 08-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have Onstar? If you do, they can tell you what the code is. If the light is on there will be a code. It will remain in history for quite a while. Like was said earlier, retighten gas cap, drive it for a few days and see if the light goes out. If the light stays on, I wouldn't hesitate to have the deaeler check it out. They see cat-back exhaust all the time, not a big deal and that shouldn't be causing the light.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 AM
rmreid
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

No issues here w/my recently installed B&B Rt.66 w/Corsa X Pipe.....
Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 AM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts

Take the gas cap off and put it back on. Make sure it clicks at least three times when putting it on. If it is the gas cap, it can take as long as 24hrs to reset the check engine light. Went through this recently on our Trailblazer after the wife filled it up. The next day the light was on. I re-seated the gas cap and waited and sometime the next day the light cleared.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket exhaust causes "check engine" light to come on?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust causes "check engine" light to come on?