C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 10:37 AM
erickpl
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible or Coupe

Okay, my wife is now warming up to a Vette, but she is preferring the convertible, while I am leaning towards the coupe.

Can owners chime is as to why they chose one or the other? Does the open top of the coupe provide enough open air feeling for you? Is the convertible top reliable electrically and what kinds of leak issues have you had? Do you feel closed in with the vert? How much luggage have you been able to hold in a vert with the top up AND with the top down?

How much luggage can you fit in a coupe?

I was thinking the coupe would be more secure, perhaps a bit more rigid (with some squeaking I guess), and hold more luggage/stuff in the back.

Opinions would be most appreciated.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan to race get a coupe if not get a convertible.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 AM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I've owned a convertible in the past and now drive a C6 coupe. I wouldn't go back to a convertible. The coupe offers plenty of open air driving without the wind and water leaks, noise and other problems associated with a rag top. The convertible top will develop creases and dirty areas over time if down alot and anything over 85 degrees you'll want the top up anyway.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:49 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnutt
I've owned a convertible in the past and now drive a C6 coupe. I wouldn't go back to a convertible. The coupe offers plenty of open air driving without the wind and water leaks, noise and other problems associated with a rag top. The convertible top will develop creases and dirty areas over time if down alot and anything over 85 degrees you'll want the top up anyway.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:52 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Take the top off a coupe and it is a convertible. A lot less money and less problems.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Take the top off a coupe and it is a convertible. A lot less money and less problems.
No it's not. It's still a coupe with it's top off. No way does it really feel like a convertible. Some will say they have had convertibles before but unless they have had a C6 or a C5 convertible they really don't know the feeling.

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 08-29-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Convertible is great...that's what sportscars are all about. Go with the namual top...a snap to raise & lower....plus you don't have to worry about another mechanism going bad. Also no intrusion into the trunk area as with power top. Weather sealing is perfect....ran into huge thunderstorms on way back from Carlisle & no problems with leakage. If wind buffeting bothers you with top down, there's a wind deflector available that mounts behind the seats....costs ~ $350.
Dave - Silver/Ebony Vert/Z51/MN6
Old 08-29-2005, 10:59 AM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter

The coupe offers a majority of the open-air exposure that the vert does, without the negatives.

negatives or a vert IMHFO (reasons I didn't get one):
-tougher to clean the top
-have to replace repair top at some point
-people cutting through top and getting into car
-water leaks (eventually, I'm sure)
-wind noise
-safety (I would hate to roll that thing...don't if I'de be able to duck
-less lateral frame rigidity
-heavier
-will have to add a roll bar/cage or halos in order to track it.

To me the coupe looks mean and snake-like from the profile...like it's rearing back its head and about to tear some sh*t up. The vert just doesn't have the same aggressive lines when I look at it.

This is the way I see things and the reason that I got the coupe. Definitely convince the wifey that the coupe is better....tell her it's like a convertible that won't mess up her hair as much
Old 08-29-2005, 11:00 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by erickpl
Okay, my wife is now warming up to a Vette, but she is preferring the convertible, while I am leaning towards the coupe.

Can owners chime is as to why they chose one or the other? Does the open top of the coupe provide enough open air feeling for you? Is the convertible top reliable electrically and what kinds of leak issues have you had? Do you feel closed in with the vert? How much luggage have you been able to hold in a vert with the top up AND with the top down?

How much luggage can you fit in a coupe?
This past weekend I carried the following in my coupe:
17" CRT monitor; CPU; keyboard and mouse w/assorted cables, etc; small carry-on suitcase; 24x18 duffle bag; electric pressure washer (12Wx36Lx10D) with assorted attachments.

There was some room left but not much. I believe the coupe has 14 cubic feet of storage versus 10 for the vert.

Originally Posted by erickpl
I was thinking the coupe would be more secure, perhaps a bit more rigid (with some squeaking I guess), and hold more luggage/stuff in the back.

Opinions would be most appreciated.
I recommend the coupe unless you can travel very light suitcase wise...

Last edited by LJD51; 08-29-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:08 AM
AMF
Drifting

Have had both Corvette convertables and coupes. That being said, my preference is the coupe.

Assuming that the weather is ideal (not too hot, not too cold, not raining, not a dust storm, etc. then there are issues with the top itself, which include:

- Top should not be put down when wet (meaning you have to wait until it dries after washing it)
- Top should not be put down dirty/dusty
- Top should not be put down when it is too cold (can't remember what was considered too cold)

By the time all these factors come together just right you are out of the mood.

Last edited by AMF; 08-29-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Ask the people that forget to latch tops on their coupes about top replacement.

Will leak no more than a coupe.

-wind noise

With the top up there is no more noise than a coupe. With the top down the convertible is less nosier than a coupe with it's top off.

Both have the same frame.

-heavier

2 lbs

tell her it's like a convertible that won't mess up her hair as much

Until you take the top off then the wind buffeting is much worse in the coupe.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AMF
Assuming that the weather is ideal (not too hot, not too cold, not raining, not a dust storm, etc. then there are issues with the top itself, which include:

- Top should not be put down when wet (meaning you have to wait until it dries after washing it)
- Top should not be put down dirty/dusty
- Top should not be put down when it is too cold (can't remember what was considered too cold)
Those are BIG factors for me as well, that 'spur of the moment' after a short sun shower factor, on the coupe ya just dry it, stow it and go.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:34 AM
AMF
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie

Usually convertables have altered frames to make up for lost rigidity because the top has been removed--don't know about the Corvette frame, but, unquestionably the coupe is more rigid--that's why the Z06 doesn't come in a convertable.

Would like to hear your comments about my comments above

Last edited by AMF; 08-29-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:47 AM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter

Ask the people that forget to latch tops on their coupes about top replacement.

Will leak no more than a coupe.

-wind noise

With the top up there is no more noise than a coupe. With the top down the convertible is less nosier than a coupe with it's top off.

-heavier

2 lbs

tell her it's like a convertible that won't mess up her hair as much

Until you take the top off then the wind buffeting is much worse in the coupe.
The halo on the coupe increases the lateral rigidity, otherwise the frames are the same.
The coupe top is more durable than the very...should be obvious.
21lb dif for the power top.....

I'm not gonna start splitting hairs here, because it's not worth my time. I said these were the reasons I didn't get the vert...MHFO, my reasoning, my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

eric:
Don't see where you are located in your profile, but if you are in a warmer part of the country, then a convertible starts to make more sense.
I am in the Mid-Atlantic region and can count on one hand the number of perfect days we get here where the top on a convertible can come down. The number of 'verts that I see driving around with tops and windows up, and the A/C blasting on a bright sunny days is hilarious in the Philly/NJ/NY area.

For me, I would never purchase a soft top for two reasons:
1) Much less storage space than the coupe's hatchback.
2) In an accident situation, I want the structure of the targa roof around me. A cloth roof does not offer enough to make me feel safe - especially with the maniac drivers around our area.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AMF
Usually convertables have altered frames to make up for lost rigidity because the top has been removed--don't know about the Corvette frame, but, unquestionably the coupe is more rigid--that's why the Z06 doesn't come in a convertable.

Would like to hear your comments about my comments above
The frames for the C6 as was the C5 designed for the convertibles first. The extra rigidity of the coupe comes from it's body. The frames of both are the same.

This has a lot to do with why I say you can't compare the C6 or C5 convertibles with other makes.

Last edited by Corvette Junkie; 08-29-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Wes Smith
Racer

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
My thoughts exactly.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible or Coupe

Old 08-29-2005, 12:19 PM
AMF
Drifting

This has a lot to do with way I say you can't compare the C6 or C5 convertibles with other mahes.
Huh??

Last edited by AMF; 08-29-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:21 PM
erickpl
Melting Slicks

I'm located in northern Alabama and frequently go to the coast (Destin, Pensacola areas) as well as up north to St. Louis.

My wife and I can pack for a week in a duffel bag each, so efficient packing is easy for us.

I admit, I've only sat in a C6 (both a coupe and a vert), so I haven't had a chance to see how the wind buffeting is at speed in the coupe.

My main 'competition' for a new car is the MB SLK (probably the 350). Either way, the car would be pampered.

I've driven a convertible (I have the ultimate - Jeep Wrangler) so am used to the wind buffeting and issues that a soft top can bring. That is probably why I'm more leaning towards the coupe and removable top.

I like the lines of the coupe more and I like the storage capability (which I think is quite a bit for a 2 seater). I guess I just need to decide if I want the performance of the Vette or the luxury of the MB. *sigh* decisions, decisions...
Old 08-29-2005, 12:25 PM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Dave S
Convertible is great...that's what sportscars are all about. Go with the namual top...a snap to raise & lower....plus you don't have to worry about another mechanism going bad. Also no intrusion into the trunk area as with power top. Weather sealing is perfect....ran into huge thunderstorms on way back from Carlisle & no problems with leakage. If wind buffeting bothers you with top down, there's a wind deflector available that mounts behind the seats....costs ~ $350.
Dave - Silver/Ebony Vert/Z51/MN6

Depending on where you live. If you are in any of the sun belt cities and cost is not a factor and you don't plan on tracking it, then it's a no brainer a Vert all the way!!!! So there is nothing like it!!! Trust me!!!

Quick Reply: Convertible or Coupe