C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car unlocking itself - what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 PM
tom4416
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car unlocking itself - what am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree but I thought I understood this whole locking scheme, but apparently not. I do not have active locking on so I always lock the car with the fob, twice to get the horn confirmation. Today, someone wanted to see the car while I was at work and took them out to look at it but didn't open any doors/hatch, just walked up to the car with the fob in my pocket. A while later I was taking some work out to the car to take home, walked up to it, opened the door, loaded my stuff and then went to take my fob and lock it up again and realized I had left in on my desk. Thinking that maybe I hadn't locked it that morning (although I knew I had), went and got the fob, locked it up, waited about five minutes, walked up to it but didn't touch anything, walked away, took fob out of pocket, waited a few minutes, walked back to the car (at least a 30 yard away walk) and it was open again. I thought you had to use the touch pad on the doors or hatch to unlock the car, that it didn't just unlock with the presence of the fob. Am I wrong or do I have a problem? If someone could check theirs, it would be appreciated. I'm concerned that even if I lock it, if I'm still too close, it unlocks itself again. If it matters, A4, 1SA, no onstar/nav/hud, coupe. Oh, I did verify that it is locking properly, coming back without fob and doors were locked. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, let me give it a try. If the FOB is near enough to the car it will unlock. It is called "passive" locking, meaning you don't have to do anything, it's passive (or automatic).

I have not heard the term "active" locking, but if it exists and you DO have it on, then you would have to do something to lock the car (press a button). If you DO NOT have active on....then passive must be on, so it unlocks when it senses the FOB near it. There, my best shot....hope that helps?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tom4416
Okay, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree but I thought I understood this whole locking scheme, but apparently not. I do not have active locking on so I always lock the car with the fob, twice to get the horn confirmation. Today, someone wanted to see the car while I was at work and took them out to look at it but didn't open any doors/hatch, just walked up to the car with the fob in my pocket. A while later I was taking some work out to the car to take home, walked up to it, opened the door, loaded my stuff and then went to take my fob and lock it up again and realized I had left in on my desk. Thinking that maybe I hadn't locked it that morning (although I knew I had), went and got the fob, locked it up, waited about five minutes, walked up to it but didn't touch anything, walked away, took fob out of pocket, waited a few minutes, walked back to the car (at least a 30 yard away walk) and it was open again. I thought you had to use the touch pad on the doors or hatch to unlock the car, that it didn't just unlock with the presence of the fob. Am I wrong or do I have a problem? If someone could check theirs, it would be appreciated. I'm concerned that even if I lock it, if I'm still too close, it unlocks itself again. If it matters, A4, 1SA, no onstar/nav/hud, coupe. Oh, I did verify that it is locking properly, coming back without fob and doors were locked. Thanks for any help.
Just go into the DIC settings, as you must have 'passive unlock' engaged!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I understand your problem fully. The car is supposed to unlock when you approach...actually, it doesn't unlock, it merely senses the fob when you activate a touchpad and then opens the door.

Are you saying that the car "opens" the door as you approach, or "unlocks" the door? You really have no way of verifying it unlocks unless you approach without the fob and try to get in. You should see the red lights on the door go steady red if you are trying to enter w/out a fob. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:59 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Now that I think about it, is there even a 'passive unlock' option in the DIC? I haven't looked. I know that mine passively unlocks, but that's probably what it should always do.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Lowlead
Racer

Originally Posted by tom4416
Thinking that maybe I hadn't locked it that morning (although I knew I had), went and got the fob, locked it up, waited about five minutes, walked up to it but didn't touch anything, walked away, took fob out of pocket, waited a few minutes, walked back to the car (at least a 30 yard away walk) and it was open again.
Not exactly the same problem but may be related, I've had several occasions where the car has failed to lock itself when I follow a certain sequence. My DIC settings are: passive door lock and unlock ENABLED, Flash on lock and unlock ENABLED.

If I exit the car with the fob in my pocket and walk away, the car locks normally and, so far, appears to *stay* locked. If I exit the car and walk around to the passenger side and open the door BEFORE the 8 second arming delay kicks in, then close the passenger side door and walk away, the door will sometimes not be locked even though the parking lights flash 8 seconds after I close the passenger side door.

This problem comes and goes, and acts like a software problem. I've read about the car's "start-up sequence" that checks for specific conditions to exist before engine start, it's almost like there's a "shut-down sequence" that gets hosed-up and messes with the car's system like this locking problem (or DBS?, or stuck map lights?). When I start the car and shut it back down all seems normal again. WTF?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 AM
AGMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hoonose

Get notified of new replies

To Car unlocking itself - what am I doing wrong?

Quick Reply: Car unlocking itself - what am I doing wrong?