C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions: Considering a vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:28 PM
cman321
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions: Considering a vette

Ok I have never owned a vette. I currently own an 04 GTO and love it. But have been infatuated with the new vette for the last 6 months. Questions and concerns:

1) Structural stiffness and solidity are huge in my book for enjoying a car. What concerns me is the targa top. I don't think I will ever use the targa top. Do we know if chevy will ever release a lighter/cheaper hardtop edition. How many people here would prefer a hardtop if it were offered. How much does the targa rattle over time. I just don't see when I would every use the targa.

2) suspension. I know most everyone here are hardcore and thus everyone will say go with the z51. However, I am trying to keep the cost down and options to a minimum (perhaps no options). A corvette as is will already be insanely fast and a great handler in my book. This will be an everyday car so a good ride is extremely important. With this I assume I should just go w/ a base car.

3) Auto vs Stick. Ok this is a sports car and sticks are for sports cars. I love precision, short throw sticks that don't require a ton of effort. My concern is that americans (especially w/ huge V8s) sticks will not be that enjoyable shifting on a day to day basis. Also my wife would prefer me to get an auto. However, with that said, I am still leaning towards a stick, especially now that they are charging $1300 for an auto now. Which gets better gas mileage in city driving. I drive primarily city but not much bumper to bumper

Thanks. Great forum.

Last edited by cman321; 09-07-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:37 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

I think it depends what you want out of car. you might be surprised the targa is really much better then a sunroof. Historicaly the only FRC (fixed roof coupe) has been the Z06 I don't think GM is going to add another model or cheapen the brand. If you are a car guy the Z 51 accoding to all the car guys here is a must have and does not punish the driver with harshness very much. I am not a current owner but awaiting my order so i only speak from a few drives here and there. That cavet aside the c 6 is much tigher less creaky then the C5 and is about as good as it gets in terms of current car design. YMMV HTH
Old 09-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

1) I don't think they will bring back the hardtop since it wasn't a big seller to start with.

2) Base suspension is just fine, especially if you are driving a lot in the city.

3) Go with the auto. Your wife will be able to drive it, you won't have to worry about shifting in the city traffic, and when you want to play, you have the paddle to do it with.

If you get a 1LT with only the auto trans as an option, then you have a sticker of $45,850 less whatever discount you can get!

We actually have ordered some cars like this for stock.

The only other thing to think about is finding and auto 2005 1SX no charge for the tranny and bigger discounts!

Good luck in your search!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
1) I don't think they will bring back the hardtop since it wasn't a big seller to start with.

2) Base suspension is just fine, especially if you are driving a lot in the city.

3) Go with the auto. Your wife will be able to drive it, you won't have to worry about shifting in the city traffic, and when you want to play, you have the paddle to do it with.

If you get a 1LT with only the auto trans as an option, then you have a sticker of $45,850 less whatever discount you can get!

We actually have ordered some cars like this for stock.

The only other thing to think about is finding and auto 2005 1SX no charge for the tranny and bigger discounts!

Good luck in your search!
As always, Dave has thought about his answer. Only thing I'd like to add to muddy the water (sorry), is that with all the torque of the LS2, you really don't have to shift very much. I personally have the Z51/MN6, and I'd give up the Z51 before you'd convince me to buy an automatic...

Old 09-07-2005, 04:58 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

C6s and even C5s were designed as open top cars and are very stiff. Unless you're a pro racer or an extremely talented driver, you won't notice the difference in stiffness the fixed roof adds. The top won't rattle either, the only noise that might come from it is squeaking, which is easily fixed by greasing the weatherstripping. My old firebird was 9 years old when I got rid of it, and the T-tops on it never made a peep. If you don't use it you won't even notice it.

Suspention is a personal preference dependant on what you want out of the car. It has been said that Z51 is a great value and well worth the cost, and I agree. But that's partially because this car is more a toy than a daily driver for me. Remember that the Z51 gearing is lower too, but that's unavailable without the Z51 unless you get an auto. For me that's a must have. Once you decide what you want, don't let an extra $1500 or so keep you from getting those options. On a 50k car that's not significant and you'll wish you just spent those bucks later.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
self1
Pro

Originally Posted by cman321
1) Structural stiffness and solidity...What concerns me is the targa top.
Leave it latched into place.

Alternatively, install a six point cage.

2) suspension. I am trying to keep the cost down
Buy a base car.
3) Auto vs Stick...this is a sports car and sticks are for sports cars.
Buy the stick.

<bowing from waist>

You are welcome. Gee, that was easy.

Last edited by self1; 09-07-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:29 PM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

structural stiffness and solidity are huge in your book and you don't want a Z51

Go with the stick since its a sports car, and it will save you some $$$
Old 09-07-2005, 05:33 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you can afford the hit from your 04 GTO, shop until you find what you want. If you have to spend a little extra for options, you'll be glad you got what you wanted.
The top and structural rigidity are excellent. You can't go wrong with this car. If you're serious, go for it. You'll be glad you did.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

I have an MN6 with the Z-51 package, and it gets used as a daily driver. I would spend the money on the Z-51 before I bought an automatic, but that's just me.

The Z-51 option really isn't harsh at all. Now, understand, I'm used to performance cars, but even my 60 year old mother comments on how well the car rides every single time she's in it. It's much more compliant than most of my friends' cars. No, it's not as soft as a Cadillac, but I'd be surprised if it's considerably harsher than your GTO. I see a lot of people opting out of the Z-51 and then trying to upgrade to it later. Just my $0.02.

The car has enough torque that driving it with a manual isn't a chore at all. You could just leave it in fourth all day long if that's really what you wanted. Besides, I'm a purist and believe all sports cars should have manuals and not automatics.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:14 PM
HighwaySpeed
Burning Brakes

1] I'd Like A Hardtop Version, Besides The Z06

2] Base Suspension With Some Z51 Upgrades

3] A6
Old 09-07-2005, 07:04 PM
cman321
Cruising

Originally Posted by jeffgdula
structural stiffness and solidity are huge in your book and you don't want a Z51

Go with the stick since its a sports car, and it will save you some $$$
actually wouldn't a stiffer suspension tend to make the car creak and rattle more.

Maybe the base model with the $150 thicker swaybar (another post) might be a cheap way to get the good handling.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:33 PM
tom4416
Racer

Base suspension is very comfortable, handles better than I can drive and doesn't come with tires that wear out in 10K miles, and doesn't come with brakes that need to be changed immediately. Of course, it also doesn't come with the extra coolers, which I'd like to have but I don't ever race so suspect the added coolers wouldn't be as much good to me. I've driven my buddies Z-51 Vert and I prefer the ride of my base coupe.

As for the automatic, no regrets even though it's "only" four speeds. I've got a lot of trust in this tranny, not so sure about the six speed as it begins its maiden year in the Vette. The auto was a compromise with my wife, she just could not adapt to the six speed manual (borrowed a friends C5 for a few days - yeah, good friend) and since it was going to be "our" car, it had to satisfy her also. Now, I've gotten to really enjoy the slush box and would probably enjoy it even more with two more speeds and push button shifting (can you say '59 Plymouth Fury!!).

Cost was a consideration for me when I bought the car and so went with a 1SA with no additional options. Kerbecks gave me a good deal, came home with the car for $43,000 + Va. tax. Since that's not far off a fully optioned G35, felt like it was a good deal and most people I meet (non-Vette obviously) think Corvettes are 70K cars and are shocked it was as "inexpensive" as it was.

With the top in, this car is as comfortable and quiet as any touring car I've ever owned - amazingly so! Buy it, drive it, enjoy it!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Vermonter
Advanced

Default buy what you want...not what is hot !

Here is my 2cents...

You should be happy with the base suspension, or you might consider the magnetic ride option. The Z51 suspension can be felt, although much improved from the C5. Are you going to use it. I don't use the potential of my Z51 car, except for track events.

Transmission is your preference. In a city, I would take an auto, and maybe everywhere if it was paddle shift.

My coupe is fairly quiet on the road, but never drove a vert. Again, get the kind of car you want. One caveat...if you are going to keep the car forever, it doesn't matter what options you get, but if you do plan to sell/trade within a few years, the more options a car has, it might make the sale easier.

Hey, that GTO looks like a nice tourer, what's wrong with it?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:34 PM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vermonter
Here is my 2cents...

You should be happy with the base suspension, or you might consider the magnetic ride option. The Z51 suspension can be felt, although much improved from the C5. Are you going to use it. I don't use the potential of my Z51 car, except for track events.

Transmission is your preference. In a city, I would take an auto, and maybe everywhere if it was paddle shift.

My coupe is fairly quiet on the road, but never drove a vert. Again, get the kind of car you want. One caveat...if you are going to keep the car forever, it doesn't matter what options you get, but if you do plan to sell/trade within a few years, the more options a car has, it might make the sale easier.

Hey, that GTO looks like a nice tourer, what's wrong with it?
more options might make it sell faster but they dont hold their value very well in resale, so pick your poison.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts

I speak from experience. I traded in my 04 GTO on a Z51 coupe with 6speed. The ride is about the same as the GTO. The structure is plenty stiff and the shifter in the Vette is light years ahead of the shifter in the GTO. I have the targa top off all the time and I love it.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
jammadave
Racer

I've only driven mine two days thus far, and already I can say that I'd have probably been happy with the base suspension (I got the MSRC option, same price as Z51) and with the non-Nav radio (didn't get to spend any time with Nav before ordering, and hindsight is always 20/20). Probably would have saved the $1300 on polished wheels, too, and gone aftermarket. So there's an easy savings of $5k or so if you don't spring for those.

And if you leave the targa top on, and spray some silicone on its seals periodically, you probably won't even notice that it's not a fixed roof. Top on or off, it's pretty stiff - add some Abs of Steel and Z51 swaybars for even more, and you're about as stiff as this thing can get, torsionally.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 PM
drdavidw
Advanced

OK, I was a new Vette buyer myself 3 and a half weeks ago, and for me, it was more of an impulse purchase. I had thought about this for months and decided (in my mind) that I wanted the Z51 Coupe with the manual trans and all the options. I justified the extra few thousand bucks by saying that I was getting "the very best" (non-vert, that is). Anyway, when my wife and I went to the dealer to test drive, we loved the car we drove SO much, we bought it! It's a 2005 LeMans Blue, 1SB Coupe with an automatic transmission, and NO Z51 package. Well, I LOVE IT! My wife was also uncomfortable with the stick, and I really didn't want her to learn on my first brand new Corvette. Anyway, the car has been UNBELIEVABLE! It is really the coolest, fastest, most comfortable car I've ever driven... by FAR! I just couldn't stand the idea of ordering a car, waiting and waiting and waiting....

Besides, I live in the Detroit suburbs, and I NEEDED to have this car PRIOR to the Woodward Dream Cruise (go to http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/ to check it out). It was incredible! Also, we just drove to Chicago and back over Labor Day Weekend and had her up to about 120 mph on I-94 (only about 2800 RPMs --> redlines at 6500!). Remember, this is the BASE model, and it beats almost every other car on the road off the line.

Bottom line: No regrets with the base coupe with the automatic, despite my prior plans. It's such a great car, you'll love it no matter how you equip it!

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie questions: Considering a vette

Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Marc B
Intermediate

Joining in, I have had my silver MN6 base 1SB for 4 weeks now and I have to echo most of the other posts. This is by far the most fun that I have ever had driving. I have always had BMWs and Volvos; no comparison to the raw power of the Vette. The ride is more comfortable than I imagined. My wife is now asking to go out "just for a ride" which is something that she never did. We went to a local ice cream shop last night and I had more guys drooling over the car than over their ice cream. Three concerns though; the first is the heat from the console area. I now understand from reading this forum that its something inherent to the exhaust design of the car but that the abs of steel product can reduce heat. Second, I do notice a bit of sway or looseness in the rear end while cornering. I ordered the Z51 sway bars today and will comment when they are installed. Third, the CAGS shift feature, which makes fuel economy sense, is pretty bothersome. I ordered the module to override that as well. Other than those minor things I can't wait to get home each day and make up places to go. Finally, I get a huge kick out of the Corvette wave from other drivers. Last week, a guy in the same car as mine pulls up next to me screaming, I mean screaming, "I love your car, man!". I figure he was about 60 years old with the look of a complete teenager.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Flatbush_Harry

Another voice...I've had my Blk/Cshmr 1SB, MN6, F55, NAV, XM coupe since 6/28. 1200 miles of the best driving I've done in 42 years. Noticeable difference between sport and touring modes of F55, stick is great, (short throw, terrific gearing), open top is wonderful for days below 85 degF, no problems at all. Other than my NAV getting confused in the mountains where data is not dense, this beast is fabu. Jump in quick...the water's fine.

Flatbush Harry
Old 09-07-2005, 10:59 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I've had several Covettes, including two C6's - the one below, and a Z51 coupe.

Stiffness is not an issue in C6's Even the Convertible is amazingly tight.

Based upon your statements, I'd go with the base suspension. If it doesn't feel right to you, change the shocks and swaybars. This can be done in stages, and will make a big difference for less than $450 or so (if you can do the labor, which is not difficult).

Nobody can tell you whether to by a manual or automatic. You and your wife have to sort that out.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Newbie questions: Considering a vette