C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up a Vette from sides only?

Old 09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
aero400
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up a Vette from sides only?

I've seen some of the recent posts regarding Race Ramps, jack pucks, etc.

I see that some people jack the car from under the center of the front end and then rest the car on jack stands on each side, using the pucks. Of course there is the issue of the pucks not fitting nicely onto the jack stands without uising a custom welded adapter.

How about using TWO hydraulic floor jacks, one on each side of the car, against the pucks? The pucks actually look like they are made to fit nicely into a typical floor jack pad. Any problems with doing this? If the car is jacked up this way, is it possible to access the oil filter and oil drain plug without too much difficulty?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:48 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aero400
I've seen some of the recent posts regarding Race Ramps, jack pucks, etc.

I see that some people jack the car from under the center of the front end and then rest the car on jack stands on each side, using the pucks. Of course there is the issue of the pucks not fitting nicely onto the jack stands without uising a custom welded adapter.

How about using TWO hydraulic floor jacks, one on each side of the car, against the pucks? The pucks actually look like they are made to fit nicely into a typical floor jack pad. Any problems with doing this? If the car is jacked up this way, is it possible to access the oil filter and oil drain plug without too much difficulty?
You can do it that way, and I'm sure some people do. But working under a car supported only by hydraulic jacks is dangerous. There's always the chance that the jack will lose pressure and drop the car on you. Using jack stands is a safety measure. They have positive mechanical locking means to prevent the car from falling. (I prefer the ones that require you to install a pin to set the height rather than the ratcheting ones which can also fail if the car is jarred.)

As for the pucks fitting the jack stands, there are two types of jack stand tops. One type is Vee shaped, and won't work with the pucks without an adapter. The other type has a flat pad top with small ears spaced far enough apart that the puck will sit between them nicely. These need no modifications. I use the latter type.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

When I go under the car I always have a jack stand and the jack in place. I have seen jack stands that fail. Not fully collapsed but with broken welds.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Here is a home made puck:

Old 09-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2005ArcticWhite
Here is a home made puck:

Boy, you wouldn't want to get that thing in there upside down!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Vette Fan
Drifting

First back up on a set of ramps, then use two floor jacks. Then put jackstands in place and change oil and filter. Voila'
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-26-2005, 01:29 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

if you use two jacks, then don't you have to run back and forth to each side of the car about 10 times to raise it? Doesn't sound convenient to me.

I got the AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ -- worth it's weight in gold.
plenty of reach to hit that front cross member, so that I slide it under, and have the car up with 4 strokes. And yes, however you do it, always put the stands under the car AND leave the jack in place if possible.

Just saw a guy in the hospital 2 days ago who almost lost his leg, taking a wheel off the car when the jack failed -- the brake rotor just about cut his leg off at the ankle. Doesn't look like he'll walk again - or if so, with a cane.

plenty of pics on my web page. Just click on JACK.

Last edited by bugman; 09-26-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:51 AM
aero400
Instructor

Thanks for all the helpful info. I certainly agree that placing jack stands under the car (in addition to hydraulic jacks) is very important and I normally always do that. Just trying to figure out the best plan here for the C6. Various excellent ideas above... thanks!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:26 AM
c2c4c6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

To VETTE FAN:

What kind of jack stands are those? They look very nice.

Also, I've done one oil change. Didn't have to jack up the car at all.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
German_C6_Driver
Instructor

Originally Posted by c2c4c6
To VETTE FAN:

What kind of jack stands are those? They look very nice.

Also, I've done one oil change. Didn't have to jack up the car at all.

Heres the info for what your after...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi
Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
I got the AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ -- worth it's weight in gold.
Holy COW! It costs almost it's weight in gold!

Any alternatives to this?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:33 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
Holy COW! It costs almost it's weight in gold!

Any alternatives to this?
Once I got over the initial shock, and did my own meaurements, I decided this was the only jacke that would definitely make the 32" reach to that front cross member, and have the low profile you need for the C6. See the pics and measurements on my web page.

Also see the ideas offered on my post here.

For my vote, there's just nothing as easy as lifting from the front. So that's your jack. If you want to buy TWO jacks and lift from the side, any old jack will do -- But I think it's less convenient. You'll have to slide under the car to put the jackstands under the cross member then. And you have to run back and forth.

For me, my jack (and my life) was not a place I wanted to skimp. instead I'll buy generic tuna fish and cheap toilet paper. Spend the money on the jack.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
aero400
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette Fan
First back up on a set of ramps, then use two floor jacks. Then put jackstands in place and change oil and filter. Voila'
Nice! Just curious, when you place the jack stands under the center of the engine area, do the jack stands get in the way of the oil drain plug, oil filter or your oil drain pan?

On many cars I've had in the past, if I were to hold the car up in the center (under the engine cross member), I was not able to get my drain pan under the drain plug hole. I would instead always jack the car from the sides (like you do) and then place jack stands on each side in other locations. But I know the C6 is limited in terms of areas that will accept jacks or jack stands.

I'd use ramps, but I'm a little nervous about driving a manual car up on ramps. Would rather avoid. Jacking the car from the front with that nifty expensive jack (as in the the other post) seems like the best idea, but I already own two really good high quality hydraulic jacks, not about to buy another. But they won't reach under the front of a C6... but they will work fine for jacking the sides so that's what I will wind up doing. Just hope I can then place jack stands under the front center and still have room for my oil drain pan, etc.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:57 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

I agree to above posts.

Safety first.

Use good jack stands.

No short cuts.

Practice safety when jacking the C-6.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Vette Fan
Drifting

Not 100% sure what kind of jackstands they are. They came with my Big Red Aluminum racing jack They seem well built, plus I leave both jacks in place for xtra safety.

The jackstands do not get in the way of changing the filter or the drain plug.

I just grab my wife or neighbor so we can jack up both sides of the car at the same time.

Definitely need a long reach jack like Bugman to reach under the front like he did. Did you have to drive up on 2X4s or something to be able to slide your jack under the airdam?

No big deal for me to back up on the ramps with my 6 speed. I just carefully line up the ramps and back up slowly.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:14 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Fan
Not 100% sure what kind of jackstands they are. They came with my Big Red Aluminum racing jack They seem well built, plus I leave both jacks in place for xtra safety.

The jackstands do not get in the way of changing the filter or the drain plug.

I just grab my wife or neighbor so we can jack up both sides of the car at the same time.

Definitely need a long reach jack like Bugman to reach under the front like he did. Did you have to drive up on 2X4s or something to be able to slide your jack under the airdam?

No big deal for me to back up on the ramps with my 6 speed. I just carefully line up the ramps and back up slowly.
Why, might I ask, do you back up on the ramps instead of going forward on to them? I just built a 4 inch ramp out of 2x12's like posted in another thread, but I planned on going forward on to them.

I did try it with all 4 wheels; very difficult to get the rears up with a stick; keep wanting to shoot them out. I figure I'll just use the front. The rear has enough clearance for the jack anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up a Vette from sides only?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jacking up a Vette from sides only?