C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified Corvette Mechanic???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
flcpl4fn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

New Chevrolet dealer just opened sent me a flyer for a free 4 wheel tire rotation by their corvette mechanic. Should go just to see how he'd attempt it.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM
vettro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALS 08
New Chevrolet dealer just opened sent me a flyer for a free 4 wheel tire rotation by their corvette mechanic. Should go just to see how he'd attempt it.
probably mount them backwards -
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALS 08
Yes, I've never seen a picture of a Corvette with 19-inch wheels on the front and 18-inch wheels on the back. However, I guess they could put 18s on one side and 19s on the other.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of the Mechanics I've experienced are 'CERTIFIED' all right . .

And that's not a general bust on automotive mechanics by any means. Many are great technicians, true motor heads and genuinely caring folks. Distinguishing the difference and locating the good ones is the challenge.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WHT
Yes, I've never seen a picture of a Corvette with 19-inch wheels on the front and 18-inch wheels on the back. However, I guess they could put 18s on one side and 19s on the other.

That's so LA
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

When I lived up in PA we had a Chevrolet Dealership that was our club's sponsor and they have a mechanic that works mainly on Corvettes. In fact he is the best tech in the S E PA area and folks came from all the neighboring states as well to get their Vettes worked on. Now, since I've moved down here to SW Florida and I joined the local club and asked them "Who's has the best Corvette tech around?" They all looked at me like I had three heads. I already miss knowing that if I needed any work done on my car, I would know it'd be done right and without ripping me off.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 05blkbeauty
To shed some light on this subject,I work for a Ford Dealer. Our techs are not Taurus certified, Focus certified, or F-150 certified. They are certified on various systems on particular vehicles. Our tranny man will be certified on most everything, along with our engine tech. Most shops have techs that specialize in various systems- I doubt that GM has a 'Vette Tech' that can rebuild a LS3 or work on the 'Heads Up Display', (at least he wouldn't want to).The vehicles of today are so complicated that training is by 'systems', which sometimes overlap to different vehicles.
Did Ford have certified Ford GT mechanics?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM
vettro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
When I lived up in PA we had a Chevrolet Dealership that was our club's sponsor and they have a mechanic that works mainly on Corvettes. In fact he is the best tech in the S E PA area and folks came from all the neighboring states as well to get their Vettes worked on. Now, since I've moved down here to SW Florida and I joined the local club and asked them "Who's has the best Corvette tech around?" They all looked at me like I had three heads. I already miss knowing that if I needed any work done on my car, I would know it'd be done right and without ripping me off.
This is EXACTLY why I resurrected this thread - im looking for a great tech in SE NC...
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell

Mike - what dealership, which mechanic for those of us still in PA?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I go to a dealer that has one cert Corvette tech and most important he only works on Corvettes. However, When a car is dropped off for service any tech may be working on it unless other arrangements are made. I call the Cert tech directly and make my appt. I drive to the side of the dearlership and give my car to the tech only with his promise that only he will park it, drive it, service etc. Works perfect for me but I see other Vette owners drop off cars and they are treated like any other GM product. J
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I know there is at least 1 that works at my dealer (Stasek), his name is Elvis and I guess he is a Corvette God when it comes to fixing them.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
jasmin360
Racer

as a mechanic you only need to be ase certified in certian areas to work on corvettes. because the transmission and rear differential are in the back of the car it requires a tranny jack in the rear and a dead man or tranny jack in the front due to the torque tube connecting both the engine and transmission. the same goes for the mercedes sls annd ferrari california. as for electronics a tech2 scanner can diagnose most if not all corvette trouble codes such as the bcm pcm tc sc. the corvettes v8 hasnt changed in a lot of ways so if you can service a camaro you can service a corvette
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
I know there is at least 1 that works at my dealer (Stasek), his name is Elvis and I guess he is a Corvette God when it comes to fixing them.

HEY - I was told Elvis left the building
Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 PM
XDNAVETT77
Instructor

ok i herd something new today ,you now i allways drop the car or truck for a oil change at the dealer.today i try to call before and for the first time i asked for the price (ford dealer this is for my F150)i only use full synthetic on everything i own that has a engine,so hi puts me on hold for 2 min and hi tolde me for my truck full synthetic is from $40-90 so i ask him again is a 2004 5.4 l fx4 so how match hi put me again on hold and answers the same thing $40-90 so i asked him haw is not a fix price when i give you all the info for my truck and hi tolde me that some people use more oil then other people ,people not truck i was shoked because hi waz a CERTIFIED FORD TECH on the dealer where i did buy the truck 8 1/2 years ago and all the servis is done there,so can you fello corvette owners tell me to trust the guy that works on your cars and trucks that you have worked so hard to make and spend on a nice corvette so after years your nephew or niece will drive and remember ther granfather you now i am only 34 but i have my grandfathers car on my garage and plan to give that to my son i think that how is ment to be,but what i am looking with this kind of service i dont think we are going that far,sorry for all this but i waz upset today.so i don't think is a shame to ask for the tech if hi has any tryining for the corvette this is 70.000+ car so beter they do or i will bring my bisnes some where ells.i will go to the mercedes dealer and ask if they can do oil change .they are nex dor from gm and they do great job on my mercedes that i got there on 1999 and is like new still today.one more thing i called all the gm dealers on my 20 radius miles like 8 of them and asked for oil change alighment and tire high speed balance and the funy part no one had the same price the lowes was $165 and the top price for the same thing was $345 the one that i was doing my vet waz on the midell like $265 and i am ditching him for shure so i thing is good to shop arround so good luck on your vetts and drive hard
Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
jasmin360
Racer

The price of oil has gone up since last year and a synthetic oil change can run you a pretty penny when your dealing with a 330cu or 5.4 liter v8 the designation for those who love the 60s anyhow the best way to choose a mechanic or in today's world a technician is go and meet the techs in person taking in a lesser vehicle ie pos Honda or any vehicle that has no soul at that point you can watch how the tech treats a pos if he loves his job he will do great job regardless of how crappy the car is. A good technician is hard to find and is worth the extra money when you need your car at its best

Get notified of new replies

To Certified Corvette Mechanic???

Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 PM
jasmin360
Racer

I do all my own repairs on my Corvette and even worked on Ferrari's as well so as long as you put in the time to get to know your car the more things you can fix on it. But in my case having the certifications and tools helps me out significantly.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Nick_D
Advanced

All I know is that the Chevy dealership in Las Vegas is full of idiots. I don't even trust them to do a simple oil change on my car. I messed up my C5 when I had it and they couldn't even fix it. Well they did fix it after a week, but in the process broke something else. I had to take it back and it took them forever to figure out how to fix it. So I said forget about it and bought a C6. Now I will drive out to Henderson or somewhere else if I have to for service.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 AM
jasmin360
Racer

Most dealership techs aren't really techs there 18 to 25 year old idiots with one master tech on site which if your lucky you get the master tech touching your car and even that's a roll of the dice. Point being these people don't view your Corvette as you see it its just another car to them and that's why the service sucks. The Corvette is just a Chevy crises with a big price tag. Our cars are just as good as any supercar so the service should be in the same league also. A real shame.

Quick Reply: Certified Corvette Mechanic???