C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified Corvette Mechanic???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:10 PM
c7joe
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Certified Corvette Mechanic???

Is there such a person. I called my local chevy dealer and asked if they have a Certified Corvette Mechanic. They told me that all of their mechanics are Corvette certified. Since this dealer sells, Hummers, Chevy's, Jeeps, Volvo's, VW, I have a hard time believing that if there is a special designation, that all of their chevy mechanics would be Corvette certified. I have a growling noise in the rearend (not my body) that I need to have check out. It only seems to happen on slow turns.
Any info would be appreciated.
Joe
Old 10-12-2005, 05:10 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Old 10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Check another dealer and see if you get the same answer. I am sure you will get something different.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:28 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by c6joe
Is there such a person. I called my local chevy dealer and asked if they have a Certified Corvette Mechanic. They told me that all of their mechanics are Corvette certified. Since this dealer sells, Hummers, Chevy's, Jeeps, Volvo's, VW, I have a hard time believing that if there is a special designation, that all of their chevy mechanics would be Corvette certified. I have a growling noise in the rearend (not my body) that I need to have check out. It only seems to happen on slow turns.
Joe
sounds like you need some posi additive
Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

They have 1 at the chevy dealer in Chantilly Va. Pohanka.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 PM
jim213
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you turning so slow?

Like with the doctors, I would get a second opinion for sure.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Joe
First, there is a special certification techs are supposed to take before they can work on a C6. Whether or not you believe that every tech in that shop is certified is up to you.

Second, does it sound like it's coming from the tires or the rear? Also, do you have Z51?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:54 PM
c7joe
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
First, there is a special certification techs are supposed to take before they can work on a C6. Whether or not you believe that every tech in that shop is certified is up to you.

Second, does it sound like it's coming from the tires or the rear? Also, do you have Z51?
It sound like the rear end. I have the magnetic ride control no z51
Old 10-13-2005, 12:00 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Its the rear diff clutch plates. They need to be replaced. There is also a new fluid #. But the fluid alone is only a temporary fix. There are some past posts on this. ie, look at my 8-29-05 post.

Good luck

Last edited by xlr8rvette; 10-13-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:20 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Joe
Maybe the dealer got all of his mechanics together and showed them the training DVD. That's the way farmers get to be certified pesticide applicators. We all gathered together and the county agent ran the film. He was a little ticked about the popcorn fight some of us were having in the rear of the room, but we all left as certified pesticide applicators.

What I'm trying to tell you here is that being a certified Corvette tech isn't a big whoop. It doesn't even mean the guy is halfway competent to fix a lawn mower, much less a Corvette.

OTOH, a good mechanic can fix darn near any car ever built. That's not because he watched a DVD. That's because he got his hands greasy working on a lot of cars, and in the process learned how to systematically troubleshoot and repair automobiles.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

My dealer told me they are not allowed to sell a C6 unless they have at least one mechanic certified. Could be bs.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by shopdog
Maybe the dealer got all of his mechanics together and showed them the training DVD. That's the way farmers get to be certified pesticide applicators. We all gathered together and the county agent ran the film. He was a little ticked about the popcorn fight some of us were having in the rear of the room, but we all left as certified pesticide applicators.

What I'm trying to tell you here is that being a certified Corvette tech isn't a big whoop. It doesn't even mean the guy is halfway competent to fix a lawn mower, much less a Corvette.

OTOH, a good mechanic can fix darn near any car ever built. That's not because he watched a DVD. That's because he got his hands greasy working on a lot of cars, and in the process learned how to systematically troubleshoot and repair automobiles.

Exactly...Heck,the cashier could be a certified Corvette tech if he/she wanted to be.All that is required is to watch a few Corvette specific DVD's and test out at the end,the answers are usually given
SHOPDOG,you only got popcorn??? Our boss always gave us pizza
Old 10-15-2005, 06:16 AM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was going to dealers, everyone told me that ALL their mechanics were Corvette specilized. Not sure if it's true, I'm sure some are, but ALL?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
vettro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

edited

Last edited by vettro; 03-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Reminder for those who don't look at dates. This thread is seven years old. I know that takes all the fun out of seeing responses to posts that old, but don't say I didn't warn you!

But yes, the basic question is still valid - are there Corvette certified mechanics?

BTW, Kudos to "vettro" who obviously DID do a search
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
vettro
Racer

edited

Last edited by vettro; 03-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

scottypman should answer since the thread is as old as he is.

Get notified of new replies

To Certified Corvette Mechanic???

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Going back to the introduction of I think it was the C5 I seem to recall that I was told that before a dealer could even order a C5 they had to send one Mechanic to a school so they would know what they were doing when it came to the new Corvettes. If the dealer did not send a mechanic to the school they could not get any Corvettes. Not all dealers sent a mechanic as the cost of the school was expensive. Dealers figured if they were only going to sell a couple of Corvettes a model year the cost of the school just want worth it. It is a very big stretch to me that all of the mechanics or whatever they are called today are all certified on the Corvettes. I know when I take my Corvette in for service it goes to a particular Service Writer and his team of mechanics works on my Corvette... What has happened since the 97 or 98 model year is anybodys guess cause as I drive from the Midwest to Az for the Winter I now see Corvettes in inventory that for a long long time never had a Corvette on display as you drove by. Maybe some of the dealers here on this Forum can chime in on this subject.

Last edited by PaulB; 03-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 AM
05blkbeauty
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

To shed some light on this subject,I work for a Ford Dealer. Our techs are not Taurus certified, Focus certified, or F-150 certified. They are certified on various systems on particular vehicles. Our tranny man will be certified on most everything, along with our engine tech. Most shops have techs that specialize in various systems- I doubt that GM has a 'Vette Tech' that can rebuild a LS3 or work on the 'Heads Up Display', (at least he wouldn't want to).The vehicles of today are so complicated that training is by 'systems', which sometimes overlap to different vehicles.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
vettro
Racer

Originally Posted by 05blkbeauty
To shed some light on this subject,I work for a Ford Dealer. Our techs are not Taurus certified, Focus certified, or F-150 certified. They are certified on various systems on particular vehicles. Our tranny man will be certified on most everything, along with our engine tech. Most shops have techs that specialize in various systems- I doubt that GM has a 'Vette Tech' that can rebuild a LS3 or work on the 'Heads Up Display', (at least he wouldn't want to).The vehicles of today are so complicated that training is by 'systems', which sometimes overlap to different vehicles.
I called GM and according to them they do have certified Corvette mechanics -

Ford maybe not “two mice on a wheel” is pretty easy to figure out just keep feeding them - lol….

Quick Reply: Certified Corvette Mechanic???