C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my pressure washer strips of wax

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 AM
bigsipper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my pressure washer strips of wax

I realized tonight that the wax I applied was gone after I used my pressure washer to wash the car. I didnt know it was that powerful to shed off the wax that was just applied. So I had to wax again. I always use a quick detailer wax in between waxing but it was harder to apply if the previous wax was gone. I read an article about maximum waxing per year is 4 times. Is it safe for the paint to wax all the time? I'm just being careful on the paint because a C6 is not a cheap car.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:57 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to be careful with the paint don't use a pressure washer on it.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:18 AM
SC TROJAN GRAD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bigsipper
I realized tonight that the wax I applied was gone after I used my pressure washer to wash the car. I didnt know it was that powerful to shed off the wax that was just applied. So I had to wax again. I always use a quick detailer wax in between waxing but it was harder to apply if the previous wax was gone. I read an article about maximum waxing per year is 4 times. Is it safe for the paint to wax all the time? I'm just being careful on the paint because a C6 is not a cheap car.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:57 AM
jdavis
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
Best approach is to use a good car wash liquid and a mild hose rinse. Dry with microfiber towel or chamois. Your car's finish will look great and you will be a happy camper
Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
vertlove
Burning Brakes

press washer could be be used (no more than 1700 psi with wide fan) but with extreme care since corvette's paint is not as durable as any metal bodied car. You problem though, could be the soap u used rather than pressure washer.
Take it ez with waxing....try rejex instead.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:14 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vertlove
press washer could be be used (no more than 1700 psi with wide fan) but with extreme care since corvette's paint is not as durable as any metal bodied car. You problem though, could be the soap u used rather than pressure washer.
Take it ez with waxing....try rejex instead.
I would not use a pressure washer on a Corvette with the exception of the wheels.......to strong a blast, also recomend Rejex, have 3 coats of rejex on my triple black 66 & nothing seems to stick to it, thinking would work excellant on a C6................to the point that washing would be easyer the Dog woof
Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 AM
p-md
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 12-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie

I would never use that on my ride.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Z06 L GO
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdavis
Best approach is to use a good car wash liquid and a mild hose rinse. Dry with microfiber towel or chamois. Your car's finish will look great and you will be a happy camper
Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Old 12-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Yep
Old 12-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Mocoso
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big check your PM!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

At my company, we use pressure washers to assist in stripping the paint off of airplanes that we are repainting. I wouldn't even think of ever using one on my Vette. Plus there is no reason to resort to such a harsh treatment.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:29 PM
jim213
Safety Car

Good car soap in warm water applied with a microfiber wash mitt, very good rinse, and dry off using microfiber towels. Personally I would wash the wheels by hand as well.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 PM
emejay
Burning Brakes

I accidently blew off small pieces of the clear coat in the area of small rock chips with a pressure washer. I don't know how much PSI, but it was a strong spray. I still use it to clean tires, make rubber look new.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
At my company, we use pressure washers to assist in stripping the paint off of airplanes that we are repainting. I wouldn't even think of ever using one on my Vette. Plus there is no reason to resort to such a harsh treatment.
High pressure hoses don't discriminate between dirt, wax or paint.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
prs62
Pro

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

You can use a pressure washer but you have to adjust the pressure to between 200 and 300 psi; this is the same as the pressure from a hose nozzle. Never wash your car with the p/w set to high pressure. If your p/w has a siphon it makes it easy to apply car wash soap, then turn the siphon off to rinse. Saves a lot of time.

Get notified of new replies

To my pressure washer strips of wax

Old 12-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jim213
Good car soap in warm water applied with a microfiber wash mitt, very good rinse, and dry off using microfiber towels. Personally I would wash the wheels by hand as well.

I couldn't agree more!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

I would not use a power washer on a car that I cared about and if I didn't care about it I wouldn't wash it anyway. I say this with experience. Power washed once with a 1500 psi washer, washed the chrome finish right off a center emblem cap (plastic cap with chrome finish) on one of the mag wheels. Be kind to your vette and don't use industrial equipment to clean it.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

i think there needs to be a clear distinction between a home pressure washer and the pressure washers used in touchless car washes. i have been sitting here trying to imagine someone even considering pointing the same pressure washer i use to wash my deck and siding, on a vette!

but then again, the jets in a touchless wash are technically pressure washers too. i have always heard the pressure washing, in any form can push impurities into the finish and, over time, strip away clear coat. but at what pressure? it doesnt seem to me that those touchless washes are ever blowing too hard...because the barely get the dirt off the car. just wondering...because my C6 is my daily driver and sometimes after a snow or ice storm, i get salt on her and i need a quick way to get it off (leaving salt on the finish = as bad or worse than power washing).

interesting topic...

Quick Reply: my pressure washer strips of wax