C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar Analog To Digital

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default OnStar Analog To Digital

Has anyone had the Onstar system in their 05 converted from analog to digital yet? If so, what's involved?

I just got off the phone with OnStar. They said they will pay for the analog to digital conversion if I lock into a 3 year contract.

I told them I was not very happy especially since Onstar was a $695.00 option to begin with... Thank you GM and Onstar... why am I not surprised?

Speaking of surprise, when I took my Vette in for service a few weeks back, at a dealership, the service writer was looking all over the dash for the odometer reading (engine was off). He didn't see it so he asked me if the door had to be open in order to read the odometer... I just smiled fired it up and lit up the dash for him.

The 06's are already digital and can take advantage of the Verizon network...

Thanks for listening
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
Speaking of surprise, when I took my Vette in for service a few weeks back, at a dealership, the service writer was looking all over the dash for the odometer reading (engine was off). He didn't see it so he asked me if the door had to be open in order to read the odometer... I just smiled fired it up and lit up the dash for him.

Thanks for listening
I guess you don't know that you can display your odometer by simply turning on the headlights. The motor or igintion does not have to be on.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

I've heard rumors that the digital upgrade for '05 vettes might be available starting in calendar year 2006, but I'm not holding my breath. I have a few weeks left under my original 1 year safe and sound. I'd like to share Verizon minutes with my cellphone.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 PM
SCModerator
Racer

If there's anyway we as a forum can push OnStar or GM closer to doing this upgrade, I'd be very willing to help push. I'm tired of crackle and pop in fringe areas.

Gregg.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 PM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTC
I've heard rumors that the digital upgrade for '05 vettes might be available starting in calendar year 2006, but I'm not holding my breath. I have a few weeks left under my original 1 year safe and sound. I'd like to share Verizon minutes with my cellphone.
Since the switch over to all digital will not occur until Dec/2007 or Jan/2008 depending on how you want to look at it, I think I will wait until much closer to that time to decide about the upgrade. At least that's my plan right now unless information that comes along changes my mind. What I'm really trying to do is make sure that the process is running smoothly before I have the update completed.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:02 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to make the upgrade to digital ASAP. How will we know when the equipment is available? Keep calling Onstar?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by benspruce
I would like to make the upgrade to digital ASAP. How will we know when the equipment is available? Keep calling Onstar?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:49 AM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The downside is that the car would have to be a different number.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 AM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by quickride
I guess you don't know that you can display your odometer by simply turning on the headlights. The motor or igintion does not have to be on.
I did not know this and proves what my mother used to tell me; that you learn something everyday...

Thanks Mom...
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Rocketman50
Racer

Originally Posted by VIPERxGTx2000
The downside is that the car would have to be a different number.
the car is set up as a 2d line on the Verizon account. Same as with 2 cellphones using the same bucket of minutes.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Rocketman50
the car is set up as a 2d line on the Verizon account. Same as with 2 cellphones using the same bucket of minutes.
Exactly what I meant.

Just make sure to tell your friends what time your going to be driving and for how long, so they can call you on the car's number instead of the cell.

I guess call forwarding might come in handy with this. No answer from the cell would then forward to the car. But then again, you will recieve your voicemail on the cars number if you don't answer there either.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:11 PM
c6gofst
Instructor

Default Just got off the phone with Onstar/Verizon

They told me the cost to upgrade to digital, depending upon which Onstar service I prepaid for 3 years, would be between $500 and $1000 (give or take). As far as I am concerned, they can shove it. This car should have been digital from the start, or at least upgraded for free when the technology was available.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by c6gofst
They told me the cost to upgrade to digital, depending upon which Onstar service I prepaid for 3 years, would be between $500 and $1000 (give or take). As far as I am concerned, they can shove it. This car should have been digital from the start, or at least upgraded for free when the technology was available.
I agree, but when I called them, and complined about it, they told me the upgrade was free as long as I went with a 3 year contract.
This whole onstar thing is really strange. I find it to be pretty much useless. It's the worst $700 dollar option on a car I can imagine. I did receive the free 30 minutes and have not even used them because it would fail upon dialing. Plus, I already have my Cell Phone service through Sprint which works just fine for me... And you're right, it should have been digital from the get-go. But you gotta keep it in perspective, were talking about an American car and GM.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 PM
ENM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocketman50
So you can actually set up a 2nd line on you verizion acct. that is accesable through the onstar system ?? Can you make calls out as well as recieve them ? How do you physiclly dial the call ?

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar Analog To Digital

Quick Reply: OnStar Analog To Digital