C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I start or not start my C6 during winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default Should I start or not start my C6 during winter storage?

I heard it was bad to start your car during the winter months if you are not going to drive it . Is this true? I never start mine and just move it back and forth during the winter months so my tires wont have flat spots.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not start it, I don't think it will hurt it, but there is really no reason too start it. Use stabil in the gas, fill up your tank, get a battery tender, park on some carpet squares, get a good cover, and I would say you are set. Also sprinkle some moth ball under the car. Change your oil in the spring, (optional), and have fun.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:56 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

I start my C6 once every week or so. If the weather doesn't allow me to drive it, I'll let it run for 45 minutes to an hour and move it back and forth in my garage. I've been doing this with all the sports cars I've ever owned over the years and have never had the slightest problem. It is important, however, to let it run for a while after it's reached its normal operating temperature.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Why can't you just take the car out once a month and drive it? This is all you need to do. Surely there will be at least one day once a month where there is no snow on the streets. Or do you live in serious snow country perhaps where the snow never leaves the street???

I really do not see ANY reason why a car cannot be driven throughout the winter, especially if you limit useage to just "nice" days. This would be the BEST way to take care of your car... period.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:00 PM
shagsC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But maybe its not worth keeping insurance on it for once a month driving!!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:00 PM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

I would not start the engine, by starting and not driving it the engine oil will develop condensation. This will dry out when driving the car, but not when just sitting at an idle. This would do more harm than good. This is something I read some time ago, and it makes sense to me.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:02 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if you are going to take it out for an occasional drive you still should winterize the car if it could set for more than 3 or 4 weeks. Especially the battery tender and the stabil. I personally would not start it just to let it idle. I know the gentleman above has had good luck with it, but most experts will tell you not to do this.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:09 PM
tiger33
Advanced

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I heard it was bad to start your car during the winter months if you are not going to drive it . Is this true? I never start mine and just move it back and forth during the winter months so my tires wont have flat spots.
My advise is Use it or Lose it. I even drove my motorcycles all winter.
Only on nice days may I add.
You don't live in North Canada do you?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:15 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
Why can't you just take the car out once a month and drive it? This is all you need to do. Surely there will be at least one day once a month where there is no snow on the streets.
I really do not see ANY reason why a car cannot be driven throughout the winter, especially if you limit useage to just "nice" days. This would be the BEST way to take care of your car... period.
Originally Posted by shurite44
I personally would not start it just to let it idle. I know the gentleman above has had good luck with it, but most experts will tell you not to do this.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
Why can't you just take the car out once a month and drive it? This is all you need to do. Surely there will be at least one day once a month where there is no snow on the streets. Or do you live in serious snow country perhaps where the snow never leaves the street???

Because it is much too expensive to carry full coverage insurance to drive the car once a month. I drop collision coverage and park it during the winter months. Saves a big chunk O change.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:27 PM
jim213
Safety Car

[QUOTE=tiger33]My advise is Use it or Lose it. I even drove my motorcycles all winter.

I keep my insurance all year round. On my bikes there are a minimum of two or three days a month to ride. On the vert it will go out on any nice day. Point is you never know when those days will pop up so I'm always ready when they do.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:39 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Personal preferance ....I keep mine in vehicles a heated garage
Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

If you start the car up, you should run it long enough for the oil to reach normal operating temperature and stay there for 10 minutes. This is enough time that you might as well drive it down to the local store and put some gas in it and pick up a few brews for later consumption.

Otherwise, leave it sit.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

I wouldn't start it. At idle the fluids are not sufficiently circulated throughout
the engine. And this does nothing for the tranny, the portion next to the
engine warms up a little but no benefit is gained.

No, let her set or take her out for a 15 to 20 mile drive when weather permits.
More fun than idling anyway!!

Old 12-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Top Cat
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Vetteran
I wouldn't start it. At idle the fluids are not sufficiently circulated throughout
the engine. And this does nothing for the tranny, the portion next to the
engine warms up a little but no benefit is gained.

No, let her set or take her out for a 15 to 20 mile drive when weather permits.
More fun than idling anyway!!

also keep in mind that the most wear in an engine happens at start up especially after the car has been sitting for a while. Nothing to gain by starting the car up and letting it idle for a while.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,103 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by tiger33
My advise is Use it or Lose it. I even drove my motorcycles all winter.
You don't live in North Canada do you?
Massachusetts seems like CANADA at the present time .Even if there is no snow I would hate to drive it in the salt and sand that linger all winter, which I find worse than snow.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:29 PM
ajw22
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

My plans are not to start the Vette until I can drive it for at least 30 minutes. You want to both get the oil up to operating temp and give it some time to boil off any moisture in the oil. Just starting the car and letting it idle will cause moisture from the combustion that will not burn off and can cause internal corrosion.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I start or not start my C6 during winter storage?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:22 AM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

My reason is because it would get dirty My C6 convertible and Chrysler 300C SRT-8 both sleep in a heated garage for the winter. I like them to look show room condition or better so I really can't see driving them in the winter's snow, sand, salt ect... I know, it's kind of a waste to have them sitting until the roads are clean in the Spring but better than spending a day cleaning.

I usually don't start them unless I need to move them around the garage.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 AM
SMJBA
Burning Brakes

I don't do it....I see no benefit at imposing cold start to the engine and building up condensation. Raise your tire pressure at 40PSi and forget about the flat spot.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:49 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by shurite44
I would not start it, I don't think it will hurt it, but there is really no reason too start it. Use stabil in the gas, fill up your tank, get a battery tender, park on some carpet squares, get a good cover, and I would say you are set. Also sprinkle some moth ball under the car. Change your oil in the spring, (optional), and have fun.
if you store your corvette you should change the oil and filter BEFORE storing because there are acids in the oil that could attack parts of your engine as it sets. you should start the engine after the oil change to flush the fresh oil thru the engine

Quick Reply: Should I start or not start my C6 during winter storage?