C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article in CQ on OnStar about Locking Keys in Car has me Concerned

Old 12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
bub
Safety Car

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Article in CQ on OnStar about Locking Keys in Car has me Concerned

Is locking the key fob in the car really that much of a problem?

Has it happened to you guys?

Do the doors lock once the door is closed or is there a delay, especially if the key fob is still in the car, I wouldn't think the doors would lock at all.

CQ's other comment about OnStar being available for "detailed" vehicle diagnosis is suspect to me. All they (OnStar advisors) can probably tell you is that you need to take it to a dealer, not truly diagnose the problem.

I didn't get OnStar, as I have it in my Tahoe and haven't found it that useful.

I read all this as a GM publication plugging OnStar.

Last edited by bub; 12-13-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 AM
ajw22
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Autolock can be turned off on the DIC personalization. Then you need to lock the car with the FOB buttons.

If you close the door with autolock on and the car does not sense a FOB in the car, or senses a FOB has left the car it will lock. There seem to be some blind spots where a FOB can be in the car but the car does not sense it. So the car thinks the FOB has left the car when it has not.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I shut the door with the key fob in my car the other day. I didn't realize this until I was 10 feet from the car. Even got the 3 beeps tell me I did that. Went back and the door opened right up. So there is at least a delay. I will check this out further this weekend I think.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

If you leave the fob in the front of the car it should beep at you and not automatically lock. I get that all the time if I close the door before my wife gets her fob out of the car. However if you leave the fob in the back hatch area it WILL lock and there is no way to get in unless you have the key or the other fob. We had a guy in our Corvette Club that did that on a trip and they had to get a locksmith out to make a key. 5 hours and a couple hundred $$$ to fix the problem...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:55 PM
jimisparks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This can happen to you

went out to my car and opened the trunk with the button and threw my brief case in and closed it up. Went to the door and "where is that fob?" You guessed it, in the brief case and I had tossed it too far in for the receptors to aknowlege. Luckely, I had placed the key to the trunk compartment under the car for just this type of problem. I also keep a spare battery for the fob in it. I did get my nice pink shirt all dirty but I was able to drive and not walk home.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
Is locking the key fob in the car really that much of a problem?
No. As with any car, if you take the keys/fob out of your pocket and leave them in the car, you can lock yourself out. But unlike other cars, there is never a reason to remove the fob from your pocket.

Do the doors lock once the door is closed or is there a delay, especially if the key fob is still in the car, I wouldn't think the doors would lock at all.
If you have the car set to autolock, it locks 8 seconds after you get out and close the door. Of course you can turn autolock off in the DIC customization menu. Then you'd have to get the fob out of your pocket and push the fob button to lock the car. Since that violates rule one, never remove the fob from your pocket, you probably won't want to do that.

CQ's other comment about OnStar being available for "detailed" vehicle diagnosis is suspect to me. All they (OnStar advisors) can probably tell you is that you need to take it to a dealer, not truly diagnose the problem.
You are correct sir. They will not tell you the exact trouble codes.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

I could see human nature to be that if the fob is uncomfortable in one's pocket (especially if it is on a keyring with other keys like a conventional house key, mailbox key, rear hatch standard key, etc.) the natural tendency could be to remove it from one's pants pocket and place it in the cupholder.

I like the 3 honks thing to remind you, and 8 sec. delay prior to lockdown should provide plenty of warning and time to retrieve them.

Glad the engineers designed this into the system.

Last edited by bub; 12-13-2005 at 02:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Article in CQ on OnStar about Locking Keys in Car has me Concerned

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Article in CQ on OnStar about Locking Keys in Car has me Concerned