C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak at Valve Stem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Leak at Valve Stem

Saturday, I added air to one of the tire and the valve stem started leaking. The leak where the stem meets the rim. Sunday morning, the pressure was down to 9 psi so got the flat tire message.

I was able to tighten the valve stem, but would like to know how the stem is tightened from the inside of the rim. My guess is there a nut. Do I have to remove the tire to tighten this nut? Right now, if I unscrew the valve stem cap, it moves the stem just enought for it to start leaking again. Very sensitive.

The rims are HRE 541. Not sure if the valve stems are the same as OEM. They appear to be chrome and can use an adjustable wrench to tighten the stem from the outside. Size is about a 5/16 inch
Old 12-21-2005, 08:54 PM
JohnDS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask the people who installed the tire - John
Old 12-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know who did it.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 PM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perhaps the folks at the nearest tire place can help - good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Mocoso
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the place you take it to knows how to work on rims with the air pressure sensor as the sensor is just on the other side of the stem (inside of rim) - at least thats were it is on OEM tires...
Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 PM
pdqz06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mez
Saturday, I added air to one of the tire and the valve stem started leaking. The leak where the stem meets the rim. Sunday morning, the pressure was down to 9 psi so got the flat tire message.

I was able to tighten the valve stem, but would like to know how the stem is tightened from the inside of the rim. My guess is there a nut. Do I have to remove the tire to tighten this nut? Right now, if I unscrew the valve stem cap, it moves the stem just enought for it to start leaking again. Very sensitive.

The rims are HRE 541. Not sure if the valve stems are the same as OEM. They appear to be chrome and can use an adjustable wrench to tighten the stem from the outside. Size is about a 5/16 inch

PM SENT
Old 12-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I believe there is a specified torque value for that, dealer should be able to help.

Get notified of new replies

To Leak at Valve Stem

Quick Reply: Leak at Valve Stem