C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 05:22 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like some more experimenting is in order - which is fine - I have had 11 days off and has been snowing in MN - no real errands to do and I don't feel like doing WORK WORK ... or much of anything else ...
Old 12-31-2005, 06:17 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Sounds like some more experimenting is in order - which is fine - I have had 11 days off and has been snowing in MN - no real errands to do and I don't feel like doing WORK WORK ... or much of anything else ...
Do the folders on your disc match the way you have your music in separarte folders on your computers hard drive? I'm thinking that might be the key. The only disc I got that did create folders is when each of my albums had there own separate folder on my drive. I have moved them around, and they are not in separate folders anymore. I hope to have some time to play with that before my wife tells me it's time to go out to dinner tonight
Old 12-31-2005, 07:06 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Okay, 15 minutes till we leave for dinner - AND I HAVE FOLDERS! They are not the same as the folders I set up in Windows (I wish they were). They are as you say - by album.

What I did was clear my library, and re-import the files again. I did have the "Organize folders...." checked. I think just re importing the files probably is what did it.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:48 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Cool Jim ... My files are all over the place - on 3 computers on my home network.

Tom
Old 01-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Default Some additional tips

This forum is great....
My 2005 C6 seems like a new car with these updates.

Here are a couple of possible things to check when using iTunes:

On the top toolbar click on:
Edit, Preferences,
Advanced tab…

General sub-tab
Check Keep iTunes Music folder organized

Importing sub-tab
Import Using: MP3 Encoder
UN-check Create file names with track number
un-checking this allows 22 characters in the file name...does not add the track number

Burning sub-tab
Check MP3 CD

There are other options in the Advanced tab area, but they didn't seem to change how it was displayed in the car. The above options did effect how the folders, artist, song name, etc were displayed.

Also, once the playlist is created...highlight all the songs and right mouse click and convert the tags.... I tried 1.0 version and artist did not always show...tried 1.1 version and all titles, artist, folders, etc now all show.

Convert ID3 tags
ID tag version 1.1

Critical key points others have mentioned....keep titles, etc to 22 characters or less.... that tip really helped me. Also, sort by Album.

Happy New Year to y'all

Allen
Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by abrimberry
Using MusicMatch and Nero
Only 8 characters appear regardless if having 1 or multiple

Anyone use MusicMatch or Nero to successfully create a CD that shows the "Track List" correctly? Thanks.
Nope, I get the 8 character folder also. Maybe time to start a musicmatch thread and see if we can hash it out amongst us musicmatch folks?
Old 01-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone figure out if there's a way to create subfolder and burn them to a disc with iTunes? Like having folders for artists with subfolders for their albums in them.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
Has anyone figure out if there's a way to create subfolder and burn them to a disc with iTunes? Like having folders for artists with subfolders for their albums in them.
Doubt this is do-able ....

Crabman and harley-vet - you guys must not have gotten any sleep last night judging from the times of your postings ...
Old 01-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried and tried using the itune way with little success. I have how ever made several MP3 disc's with many subfolders. I start by ripping the cd using Music Match Jukebox program. Make sure you go into edit and check the order you want the files tagged in. Ie. song order first followed by song name followed by artist, followed by album name. Tagging is very important. Once tagged, that's the order the player will read it. Then you can go into My Music files using Windows explorer and rename the folders to anything you like (but the actual songs are already tagged). You can move them into sub folders if you like. This works great for double album/cd's. Ie the White Album from the Beatles. As an example name an empty folder "White" then move the two folders (disc 1, disc 2) into that folder. Remember, only 8 letters will be read by the C6 nav unit.

Then I use Nero Burn to put the music to cd. Just select the main folder, in this case "White" and the two subfolders will be there on your nav. You can make as many subfolders as you like from what I can tell. Load the disc up with other albums or different artists and subfolders.

When you play it back in your C6, you'll see the "Additional tracks" button. Push that and you'll see your folders. Select a folder and in this case you'll see the "Disc 1, Disc 2 subfolders. Select the one you want and it will play it in running order.

The draw back to this method is the player will not list the song, artist album as depicted on the player. Mine lists the song and artist in the same line. But it will play the album in it's original running order as if it were the real cd.

I have tried itunes and gone through a stack of disc's experimenting. I have had little success. But with Music Match and Nero burn it works every time in the order I want to hear it.

I hope this helps?

SB

Edit: Another option if you want to listen to songs in no particular order is to drop them into one folder (just the songs) and burn it as one large album. I did this with the two Garth Brooks box sets. I put all 140 songs into one folder, burned it to cd. Then in the car I select "random" and they play in a random order for as long as I can stand it! I have the Time/Life Guitar Rock series. I plan on using this method to make that cd. It's pretty cool because I can eliminate the songs I don't care for before they even get on my cd. Just another way of doing it. I use Music Match for this method and Nero for the folder/subfolder style.

Last edited by Braced; 01-01-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

Originally Posted by Braced
I have tried and tried using the itune way with little success. I have how ever made several MP3 disc's with many subfolders. I start by ripping the cd using Music Match Jukebox program. Make sure you go into edit and check the order you want the files tagged in. Ie. song order first followed by song name followed by artist, followed by album name. Tagging is very important. Once tagged, that's the order the player will read it. Then you can go into My Music files using Windows explorer and rename the folders to anything you like (but the actual songs are already tagged). You can move them into sub folders if you like. This works great for double album/cd's. Ie the White Album from the Beatles. As an example name an empty folder "White" then move the two folders (disc 1, disc 2) into that folder. Remember, only 8 letters will be read by the C6 nav unit.

Then I use Nero Burn to put the music to cd. Just select the main folder, in this case "White" and the two subfolders will be there on your nav. You can make as many subfolders as you like from what I can tell. Load the disc up with other albums or different artists and subfolders.

When you play it back in your C6, you'll see the "Additional tracks" button. Push that and you'll see your folders. Select a folder and in this case you'll see the "Disc 1, Disc 2 subfolders. Select the one you want and it will play it in running order.

The draw back to this method is the player will not list the song, artist album as depicted on the player. Mine lists the song and artist in the same line. But it will play the album in it's original running order as if it were the real cd.

I have tried itunes and gone through a stack of disc's experimenting. I have had little success. But with Music Match and Nero burn it works every time in the order I want to hear it.

I hope this helps?

SB

Edit: Another option if you want to listen to songs in no particular order is to drop them into one folder (just the songs) and burn it as one large album. I did this with the two Garth Brooks box sets. I put all 140 songs into one folder, burned it to cd. Then in the car I select "random" and they play in a random order for as long as I can stand it! I have the Time/Life Guitar Rock series. I plan on using this method to make that cd. It's pretty cool because I can eliminate the songs I don't care for before they even get on my cd. Just another way of doing it. I use Music Match for this method and Nero for the folder/subfolder style.
I already konw how to burn discs with subfolders using Musicmach. That's not what I asked.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

I already konw how to burn discs with subfolders using Musicmach. That's not what I asked.
Well, sorry to have bothered you then.

Maybe someone else will benefit from it. Have a nice day And Happy New Year to you too.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy there killer, It seems Braced took the time to give us good detailed information for those of us who may not be familiar with the process.

Play Nice in the sand box

Last edited by Guitarstar; 01-01-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Hurricane

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Fantastic thread - thanks so much to you all for the advice!

Question - do the folder names need to be 8 characters or less or 22 characters or less?
Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Fantastic thread - thanks so much to you all for the advice!

Question - do the folder names need to be 8 characters or less or 22 characters or less?
If you're asking about Musicmatch or Nero they ill only show 8 characters. iTunes will show 22.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:23 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

This is all great stuff...thanks to all who've helped us resolve the MP3 issues.

Here's another one: Has anyone here figured out a way to burn MP3s without gaps between the tracks? I'm specifically refering to making MP3s of CDs whose tracks run together with no audible breaks between them (e.g. "Side B" of Abbey Road, most of the early Moody Blues, etc.). When I make MP3s of this material, the software automatically inserts breaks between the tracks whether or not they're there on the originals. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to do "disc at once" rather than each track individually.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:36 PM
SlySkeeve
Intermediate

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Harley_Vet
This forum is great....
On the top toolbar click on:
Edit, Preferences,
Advanced tab…

General sub-tab
Check Keep iTunes Music folder organized
Absolutely!

Importing sub-tab
Import Using: MP3 Encoder
UN-check Create file names with track number
un-checking this allows 22 characters in the file name...does not add the track number
The problem with unchecking Create file names with track numbers is that the order the MP3s are played and displayed on the nav unit will be random. With track numbers you still have at least 19 characters, and the ordering is preserved.

Burning sub-tab
Check MP3 CD
Absolutely!

Convert ID3 tags
ID tag version 1.1
The only issue I have had with converting to version 1.0 or 1.1 is all of the album artwork I have added to the library is then erased. If you have added album artwork you may want to think twice before converting your whole library to version 1.0 or 1.1.

Of course, I am more interested in making a decent disc for the car, so I can handle replacing the artwork after I have finished.

With the options modified as above the disks are reading with folders for artists, then folders for each album with the tracks therein.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Does anyone know how to create the folders in a Data CD with Windows Media Player 10? I have created the data CD (required for MP3 files) with 3 playlists, but the folders do not show on the car CD player. Also, what controls the order of the songs within the folders?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips

Old 01-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Doubt this is do-able ....

Crabman and harley-vet - you guys must not have gotten any sleep last night judging from the times of your postings ...
YEP>>>>what a better way to spend a New Year coming....In the Vette with my lovely wife. We were driving around town listening to the MP3's ...night was perfect. Just got back into the house and had to share that I got the MP3 thing to work every time.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:53 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Braced

I hope this helps?

SB

Thanks. With this new mp3 "toy" in my vette, I have learned that I don't know too much about making the mp3 discs, but I have managed to get a couple of decent ones. I thought I had it down, but I am learning to get the info displayed properly. Thanks for all the information.

Jim
Old 01-01-2006, 07:59 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

YEP>>>>what a better way to spend a New Year coming....In the Vette with my lovely wife. We were driving around town listening to the MP3's ...night was perfect. Just got back into the house and had to share that I got the MP3 thing to work every time.
Gotta Tell ya Harley I am very jealous - I'm in MN ... snow on the ground big time ... barely want to take my Jeep out much less my vette which has been tucked away in the garage since thanksgiving.

Quick Reply: Burning MP3s for the NAV - tricks and tips