C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended oil filter wrench for Delco filter?

Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Recommended oil filter wrench for Delco filter?

Changing my oil right now. Tried to remove the stock oil filter with my generic cast aluminum cup filter wrench (fits on end of 3/8" rachet). This same wrench has worked fine in the past on other typical GM oil filters. However, on my stock Delco 46 filter, the fit is sloppy and the wrench does not work well. Wrench does grab a bit but slips off too easily. Had to use a different method to get the filter off.

I'd like to pick up a good wrench that fits and grabs the Delco 46 filter nicely so that I can torque the new filter on well without dimpling it at all. Can someone recommend an exact make / model filter wrench that fits / works really well specifically on the 46 filter? Thanks.

I used to always tighten oil filters by hand which in many cases where the filter was very exposed worked out fine. But the C6 filter is somewhat shrouded by the oil pan, looks hard to get your hands / fingers around it, so I am not counting on torquing the new one on by hand.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Whoa....I would be very careful of "torquing the filter on well". As you note, an oil filer should only be hand-tightened. Due to the filter location on the C6, the filter is hard to grap so a cap wrench can be used, but no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn after it seats on the gasket. Not sure why you're having trouble with your existing cap wrench...the dimensions across the flats for the PF44/46 filters are all standard. You should be able to pick up one that fits at any parts store.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
Changing my oil right now. Tried to remove the stock oil filter with my generic cast aluminum cup filter wrench (fits on end of 3/8" rachet). This same wrench has worked fine in the past on other typical GM oil filters...
The flat pattern on the PF46 is changed from the PF44...you'll need a new filter wrench.

Any auto supply store should stock generic stamped steel filter wrenches for 3/8" drive, one of which will fit. Go by the number their book lists, then confirm it by trying it on a PF46 (you might bring yours; some cheapos don't stock ACDelco and other brands do not necessarily have the same flat pattern). Incidentally, finding a cap wrench for a PF46 is easier than finding one for a PF44...the PF44 was superceded by the PF46, so nobody stocks PF44 filters or wrenches except the Forum dealers (UPF44).

I wouldn't worry about a make and model number...they are all made in China or Taiwan or Indonesia or someplace by some unknown manufacter.

Last edited by JmpnJckFlsh; 01-20-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. Good info. I'll head over to the local auto parts store and bring my PF46 along.

By the way I am aware that the filter should only be hand-tight... but indeed, it apears difficult to get a good grip on the filter by hand so the wrench will be needed to get it "snug". Certainly don't want it too loose either of course.

The original filter that was on there from the factory was TIGHT!... part of the reason why my existing wrench kept slipping off. But, if the wrench had gripped just a little better it would have worked. I'll go pick up a new wrench that grabs the PF46 really well.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:04 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my wrench at PEP Boys. Fits perfect. Just take the AC Delco PF-46 filter with you to get one that fits correctly. Sorry, I do not have a part number.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:36 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

auto zone also has the fit for these
Old 01-20-2006, 05:58 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a strap wrench. It will fit any size filter...
Old 01-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

I just installed my oil filter. As it turns out, I WAS able to install the filter properly with just my hand... no wrench needed. It was a little tough though, my fingers barely fit between the filter and the oil pan, scraped the skin above my fingernails a bit... but was able to turn the filter a good full turn after the point when the gasket just made contact... filter instructions say turn filter 3/4 to 1 turn past gasket contact. Filter torque felt better to me at one full turn.

I will still purchase the correct filter wrench for next time... will make life a little easier for getting the old filter off. I do have a heavy-duty strap-type wrench, but it's a bit bulky, a little tricky to get around the filter being that the pan is so close. I think a cap type wrench is easiest to use, and since they're so cheap, may as well.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
The flat pattern on the PF46 is changed from the PF44...you'll need a new filter wrench.

Any auto supply store should stock generic stamped steel filter wrenches for 3/8" drive, one of which will fit. Go by the number their book lists, then confirm it by trying it on a PF46 (you might bring yours; some cheapos don't stock ACDelco and other brands do not necessarily have the same flat pattern). Incidentally, finding a cap wrench for a PF46 is easier than finding one for a PF44...the PF44 was superceded by the PF46, so nobody stocks PF44 filters or wrenches except the Forum dealers (UPF44).

I wouldn't worry about a make and model number...they are all made in China or Taiwan or Indonesia or someplace by some unknown manufacter.
I found a cap style wrench for the UPF44 at Walmart. It is a perfect fit.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:54 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right

Originally Posted by Deep Silver C6 Z51
it was cheap $$ too.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:58 PM
SA HEAT
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnutt
Me too (to take it off).... I have the one that fits over the filter for a 3/8" drive but the strap is easier since the filter is so easy to get to.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
talldude67
Pro

Hand tighten to snug, then tighten 3/4 turn more...that's it. Now taking it off without a fil wrench is another question...
Old 01-20-2006, 09:52 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Deep Silver C6 Z51
I finally found a cap wrench for the UPF44, but I had to go to several places to find it. I had to have the steel one; none of that molded plastic for me.

About the third place I went to, I realized that none of these places stocked the PF44 anymore, and the ACDelco catalog didn't even list the PF44, only the PF46. I even asked my local Chevy parts guy about the PF44 or UPF44...none in stock.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:55 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Aid to filter removal

I invested in a small can of a Never-Seize type product with teflon powder instead of copper or nickel powder. I put a very small amount on my filter gaskets, and they come off relatively easily at the next oil and filter change. If I remember, I got it from McMaster Carr.

Lee, The Clevite Kid
Old 01-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

The cheap end caps are only 1 inch deep. Snap-on has one that is 1 1/2" deep and it does make a difference. It won't slip off. Part # is YA-995
Using the correct torque is more accurate than a half or 3/4 turn after the base makes contact. Torque spec is 18 lb.ft.

Frank
Old 01-21-2006, 06:15 AM
OnyxC6
Burning Brakes

When changing filters is it more desireable to pre-fill the filter?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave S
Whoa....I would be very careful of "torquing the filter on well". As you note, an oil filer should only be hand-tightened. Due to the filter location on the C6, the filter is hard to grap so a cap wrench can be used, but no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn after it seats on the gasket. Not sure why you're having trouble with your existing cap wrench...the dimensions across the flats for the PF44/46 filters are all standard. You should be able to pick up one that fits at any parts store.
Plus I recommend you use a better oil filter, like K&N or Amsoil.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended oil filter wrench for Delco filter?

Old 01-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by St1ck
When changing filters is it more desireable to pre-fill the filter?
It doesn't hurt. Oil pressure will come up more quickly, so that's better, but does it really make a difference?
Old 01-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagcvette
Plus I recommend you use a better oil filter, like K&N or Amsoil.
I agree, both of those will flow much better than the AC Delco, and if you go with the K&N you get the added bonus of the nut on the bottom which makes for super easy removal.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:58 AM
VetVetter
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by vettnutt

Yup ... just make sure it has a knuckle and you are fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended oil filter wrench for Delco filter?