C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another method for jacking / lifting / supporting C6 - PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Nice post, Thanks!
Old 02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the good info on the adapter, I'm ordering today.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:24 AM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great post. Have you considered a method to link the cross beam adapters to the jack stands?

Ken
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vet, rather than cradling the adapter on the jackstands with very little leeway, would the adapter be more safely supported if you turned your style of jackstands 90 degrees?

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 02-16-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:10 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
Vet, rather than cradling the adapter on the jackstands with very little leeway, would the adapter be more safely supported if you turned your style of jackstands 90 degrees?
Actually, it looks like the top platform of the jackstands is about 3" square, so rotating them wouldn't help.

The best solution would be to have some small structural steel channel (3" or ?) cut to short lengths sized to fit into the indention in the jack stand platform, and weld the channel pieces to the ends of the adapters with the channel "legs" extended and running front to back...then the jack stand would be locked into position
Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Howdy again

Hi Vet! Hey thanks for posting the additional pics of your lifting procedures in my oil change post yesterday. Very informative!

I was hoping you would chime in so that credit could be given to you for the Crossmember. It was your original post where I learned about it. Best $29 I've spent lately.

Question.....what did you use to grind down the mounting post on the Northern cross member to fit in your jack hole? 90 degree dye grinder?

Thanks
Bone
Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 AM
oak3x
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread with Pictures...thank you for taking the time.

Having just ordered my C6, I recently purchased the AC Hydraulics Floor Jack and Cross Beam Adapter from Steve at Ultimate Garage.

As most people know, the AC Hydraulics Floor Jacks are some of the best manufactured. The reason I like their Cross Beam Adapter is because it extends from 30" to 45". With the 45" reach, I can easily lift the car from the side, at the two lifting puck points.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/
Old 03-05-2006, 10:38 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vet
Nice!

As someone else mentioned somewhere, this indeed could have been a good business venture... making custom cross beam adapters for Corvettes and selling them for $200 a pair or whatever. Only problem is that now it is known that cheap $29.99 adapters exist AND work on the C6, a good deal of the market is already lost.
There's still a market. Someone needs to service the "You get what you pay for" people.

Then you could add Corvette logos and charge $250/pair.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Daddy
Hi Vet! Hey thanks for posting the additional pics of your lifting procedures in my oil change post yesterday. Very informative! I was hoping you would chime in so that credit could be given to you for the Crossmember. It was your original post where I learned about it. Best $29 I've spent lately. Question.....what did you use to grind down the mounting post on the Northern cross member to fit in your jack hole? 90 degree dye grinder? Thanks Bone
Hi Bone!

Glad the cross beam adapter is working out for you! Nice oil change post and pics by the way... thanks for sharing!!!

I used a regular straight shaft die grinder with a cylindrical carbide burr (similar to photo below, except a "double cut" pattern) to grind the cross beam adapter mounting post down. Lined the axis of the burr up with the axis of the cross beam adapter post and then carefully removed metal from all sides of the post until the desired diameter was achieved. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but it worked for me in a pinch and the job came out neat and clean. A lot faster than using a hand file! But it did take a few minutes and sprayed nasty skin piercing shavings all over the place... cover your skin and wear eye protection!
Old 03-05-2006, 04:03 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Very good info!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:57 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Another option

Originally Posted by St1ck
I used a piece of wood between my jack and the car... As soon as I put load on the jack i heard the horrendous cracking and crunching.. I though I was destroying my rear end (aluminum suspension pieces) But after I dropped the car down I noticed a big split in the wood.. *whew* ..

Now I just use this method..

There's just enough slope to offset the ramps and the car is pretty much level..
Instead of buying “TWO” floor jacks why couldn’t you combine using the ramps with a single floor jack? You would to use this method if you needed to remove all 4 wheels for brake service, etc. I would envision pulling the front of car up onto the ramps first. Then simply using the AC floor jack and cross beam adapter to jack the opposite end of the car up. Put your jacks stands under the cross beam adapter and lower the car onto the jack stands.

Now remove the floor jack and raise the front of the car with the 2nd cross beam adapter high enough to remove the ramps. Slide under the jack stands and lower the floor jack. You now have all 4 wheels off the ground for removal. If you weren’t satisfied with the safety aspect you could always use more blocking under the car but I don’t believe it would be necessary. Perhaps there is a fatal flaw (no pun intended) here that I’m not seeing? I’m sure some of our technical experts will be happy to point out what I’ve missed in my equation.

To me it seems like it’s a good alternative to buying 2 expensive and heavy floor jacks. Ramps are easy and pretty cheap to make, buy and store. Everything else would work exactly the same why as the original post except you would only need 1 floor jack.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Reevo
Heel & Toe

Great setup. I was thinking of changing the oil myself soon on my '04 Z06 and was just looking into a good set of jack stands when I came across this post.

Am I right in assuming that this method would work on a C5 just as well as the C6? Do the two cars have the same 'preferred' and 'optional' lifting points?

Also, could anyone recommend what they think would be the "safest" jack stands for this setup?

Thanx for the great post Vet!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:01 AM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Default This method works for me...

didn't read all of the thread replys, but what I do to raise the car is jack up from the side frame just under where the front fender and door meet high enough to put the jack stand under the front preferred location left or right of center depending on which side of the car I'm lifting first; then go to the other side of the car and lift the side frame and car high enough to get the jackstand under the preferred location and there it is-the front of the car is lifted with jack stands in both preferred locations under the front.
However, when I'm changing the oil and filter, I just lift up the driver's side only this way, then as the oil is still draining out of the pan(filter is removed first) I LOWER THE CAR back down on the ground with the drip pan still under the car catching the remaining oil as it drains out. I never have to lift the whole car just to get it level to drain the oil; I just lift the driver's side, take the filter off and unscrew the drain pan plug and lower the car back on the ground till its all drained out. Mind you, while the car is lifted by the jack from the frame rail, i slide the jack stand under the car for insurance just in case the floor jack gives way. The whole process takes about 3-5 minutes to raise the car, unscrew the filter and oil pan nut and lower the car back down so it can fully drain. this seems to work for me-does anybody see any potential problems with this method that maybe I don't? Please let me know if so... thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 08:35 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by docrings1
F-14A, B & D; F/A-18D; T-34C; C-130 "Fat Albert"; TH-57A & C; C-2; C-9; CH-53E; H-3; H-46
Good on you... Starfleet- T34B, T28B C, S2A, US2B, P3B, T-33, Nimrod, P3C, M20J, M20S
Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
jsk96z28
Pro

Sears has a four ton jack that fits this cross beam adapter perfectly, and its on sale for $99. It sure is heavy though!!! made in china, what else is new...
Old 07-26-2006, 07:24 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Good info, thanks for the post!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:31 PM
nelson gould
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Vet
Here is a method for jacking and supporting a C6 using ONLY the "preferred" jacking locations. All four wheels off the ground. Lots of room under the car to work (oil changes, etc.) Very secure.

All that's needed are two rolling hydraulic floor jacks, four jack stands, two cross beam adapters and a few planks.

In the photos below, the rolling hydraulic jack used at the front of the car is an AC DK13HLQ low-profile, long-reach jack. It fits just right, reaches the larger front cross member of the car and still sticks out far enough to allow full pumping of lever. Other hydraulic floor jacks may work here, you'll have to experiment.

The cross beam adapters - you'll need two. Only $29.99 each from NorthernTool.com. As shown in photos, the adapter used at the rear of the car can be left stock. The one used at the front of the car must be altered slightly.... just pull off the side extensions and add rubber pads on top of the main center piece at each end.

Note: in order to use the above described cross beam adapter in an AC brand jack, you will need to grind the 1.15" main pin of the adapter down a bit since the hole in AC jacks is only 1.00" (unlike most American jacks which have a 1.130" hole).

Directions:
1. -Get front wheels 2" - 3" above the ground by driving up on some planks

2. -Place jack with "altered" cross beam adapter under front main cross member of car (underneath the PREFERRED jacking locations)... make sure the rubber pads on the adapter touch only the preferred jacking locations... nothing will touch center of cross member

3. - Place two jack stands under the cross beam adapter, directly under the preferred jacking locations, lower weight of car onto stands, leave jack in place for added safety

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for rear of car, except use "stock" cross beam adapter

Car is now off the ground and fully supported by ONLY the "preferred" jacking locations.

hello vet
i also really like the jack stands you have can you tell me who makes these

Get notified of new replies

To Another method for jacking / lifting / supporting C6 - PICS!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson gould
hello vet - i also really like the jack stands you have can you tell me who makes these

I got the jackstands from NorthernTool.com... here's the specs:

Blackhawk Automotive Fork Lift Stands (Pair) — 7-Ton, Model# BH5070 - $129

7-ton capacity
8 - 3/4" x 8 - 3/4" base
9 - 1/2" minimum height
14 - 1/4" maximum height

Sturdy, welded steel construction for superior strength. Heavy-gauge steel prevents distortion and twisting. Pin adjusts in 2in. increments.

Northern Tool Item# 144480

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8727_200318727

Or try the below link and search for the item #:
http://www.northerntool.com/

These stands are pricy and have a capacity far greater than C6 owners need. However, they are really nice super-sturdy stands... if you do a lot of automotive work, they're a good long term investment.

They have a very low minimum height unlike many other cheaper stands. They have a flat top perch which is great for resting pucks against. They have nice feet too... small steel "pads" at the bottom of each leg.. much better than a lot of the cheaper stands that instead have sharp pointed edges at the bottom that just love to sink into whatever you put them on.

Only downside is that they adjust only in 2 inch increments... but I haven't found this to be a problem yet... somehow I am always able to get them adjusted nicely for whatever I'm doing. In my garage, I can set the front stands with the pins in the first hole, and the rear stands with the pins in the second hole, and the car is perfectly level... also keeping in mind the garage floor has a slight pitch. One way or another you will find a system to make them work well for your needs... worst case scenario, shims could be used for fine height adjusting. I never needed to do so.

Last edited by Vet; 01-26-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:28 AM
MackIII
Pro

Beat me to it as I was going to ask about those jack stands as well. Nice write up
Old 09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by purple heart
didn't read all of the thread replys, but what I do to raise the car is jack up from the side frame just under where the front fender and door meet high enough to put the jack stand under the front preferred location left or right of center depending on which side of the car I'm lifting first; then go to the other side of the car and lift the side frame and car high enough to get the jackstand under the preferred location and there it is-the front of the car is lifted with jack stands in both preferred locations under the front.
However, when I'm changing the oil and filter, I just lift up the driver's side only this way, then as the oil is still draining out of the pan(filter is removed first) I LOWER THE CAR back down on the ground with the drip pan still under the car catching the remaining oil as it drains out. I never have to lift the whole car just to get it level to drain the oil; I just lift the driver's side, take the filter off and unscrew the drain pan plug and lower the car back on the ground till its all drained out. Mind you, while the car is lifted by the jack from the frame rail, i slide the jack stand under the car for insurance just in case the floor jack gives way. The whole process takes about 3-5 minutes to raise the car, unscrew the filter and oil pan nut and lower the car back down so it can fully drain. this seems to work for me-does anybody see any potential problems with this method that maybe I don't? Please let me know if so... thanks
As long as you are lifting on a puck on the side rail I don't see how this could hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Another method for jacking / lifting / supporting C6 - PICS!!!