C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust Proof Rotor Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Jeffjett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Proof Rotor Recommendations

I have the non-Z51 brake rotors on my 06 C6. I have noticed a fair amount of rust coming from the rotors, so I am looking to upgrade to after market rotors. I have heard zinc coated/treated rotors do not rust.

I do not want to replace the stock pads or calipers. Any recommendations on an after-market set of rust proof rotors? Drilled and/or slotted would be o.k.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Volocty
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought these from Corvette Garage and Love 'em!

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

Send me a PM and I can e-mail you a picture of them on my car.

Had them for 2 months and no rust at all. The only thing I can tell you that is more of a heads-up, is they take about 30 miles of stop and go to smooth out. The slots had a slight lip on them which just needed to wear down. I don't regret buying them at all...
Old 02-12-2006, 11:01 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I can sell you these for $800 plus shipping.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html

(bottom of page)
Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 PM
greentank
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Volocty

Had them for 2 months and no rust at all. The only thing I can tell you that is more of a heads-up, is they take about 30 miles of stop and go to smooth out. The slots had a slight lip on them which just needed to wear down. I don't regret buying them at all...
I have these exact rotors sitting in my living room awaiting installation. Probably do it next week, if Kevin at HP has the time. For the price, it appears to be a great deal.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Jeffjett
Instructor

Originally Posted by Volocty

PM sent, thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:15 AM
keith5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took new Slotted/X-drilled rotors to a local plating company and had them Silver Anodized - triple dipped. Cost was approx $150. They didnt show any rust after 3 years. I plan on doing that for my C6.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Jeffjett
I have noticed a fair amount of rust coming from the rotors, so I am looking to upgrade to after market rotors. I have heard zinc coated/treated rotors do not rust.

I do not want to replace the stock pads or calipers. Any recommendations on an after-market set of rust proof rotors? Drilled and/or slotted would be o.k.
This is only a solution for the fronts, but StopFORCE rotors are among the best, and the company is nearby you in Orange County. The rotor assemblies are based on Porsche blanks, with cast-in holes.

Originally Posted by keith5
I took new Slotted/X-drilled rotors to a local plating company and had them Silver Anodized - triple dipped.
I'm not sure what you had done, but it was not anodizing. Brake rotors are made of cast iron, and iron cannot be anodized.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:36 PM
DaMayor
Instructor

Default Rust - free rotors

I have had bad luck in the past with some high cost plated rotors that were stained and spotted by some wheel cleaner I used. High heat header paint is cheap and easy to apply to the rotors before installation. Just clean the rotors with lacquer thinner or brake cleaner, tape off where the brake pads rub and spray away.

I used clear 1200 degree header paint on the strip of shiny rotor that always rusts near the rotor hat. Painting the hat portion black (if the new rotors are not powder coated black in the first place) looks great behind the open Corvette wheels.

I had the painted rotors look good on my last car for 7 years without a problem. Any good auto parts store has header paint in clear and colors.

Pics at 2006Corvette
Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
CaptainMike
Pro

Baer Eradispeeds........
Old 02-13-2006, 11:24 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I painted mine with engine enamel ten months ago and they still look like I just did it.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffjett
I have the non-Z51 brake rotors on my 06 C6. I have noticed a fair amount of rust coming from the rotors, so I am looking to upgrade to after market rotors. I have heard zinc coated/treated rotors do not rust.

Thanks for your comments.
Rust never sleeps...
Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Jeffjett
Instructor

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I actually ordered the same rotors as Velocty got from Corvette garage. They arrive tomorrow, and I will install them then. I can't stand all the rust stains in the interior of the rims from the stock rotors. Heres hoping this works out.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:13 AM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two piece rotors with aluminium hat

Get notified of new replies

To Rust Proof Rotor Recommendations

Quick Reply: Rust Proof Rotor Recommendations