C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAY 3 and Summary Spring Mountain Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:41 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Default DAY 3 and Summary Spring Mountain Driving School

Here is Day 1
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...23&forum_id=74

Here is Day 2
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...89&forum_id=74
DAY 3
Well guys sorry for the delay, I just didnt feel my mind and body could do a summary of my day 3 and the 3 days any justice.... After 3 days of intense concentration it is draining to all aspects of your senses.... Ive learned so much and you are given all this valuable information that in some ways you get overwhelmed wanting to be good at all of them.... Especially with a personality like mine... My downfall at times is my lack of patience for learning things... I tend to want to be very good at something and I guess I think I was born with so much natural ability that I can be good at something after the first couple of times.... Yeah RIGHT !!!! So this 3 days Ive been processing.... How can I use all these things to my advantage... How can I come away from this school with the most information to take to my next school (Level II in my future ) as well as others.... basically how to take this and get better.... Some of you have known me here from my C5 days...and some of you are just getting to know me recently....since my ownership of the C6 I have found the performance side of life in the corvette realm.... before that I was mostly a polisher and strictly showed my cars... Ive come along way in the last year.... I just wish I would of started this sooner... Many folks say why would you want to tear up your car....? I believe I have found the level of having fun, learning how to drive my car at "their" performance level and still keep it intact, cleaned and cherished.... What's great about Spring Mountain is its using "their" corvettes... so you can learn with no worries.... well a little but nothing like your own.... you dont get that chance too much so you should take advantage if you can...
So going into Spring Mountain with minimal experience (1 HPDE and several autox events) I still felt like a beginner in many ways... I went in opened minded... a must in my opinion... the more you are opened minded to the instruction they give you the more you will come away "informed"....My motto is to do this at any school... I can always learn...
So yesterday was Day 3.. My excitement was at a HIGH... my adrenaline going in was HIGH... it was like OK now you get to test all the fundamentals weve been practicing for 2 days... I cant stress the importance of that.. and I still have alot of practice to fine tune it to begin to go to that next level... Driving is a "science" in so many ways and like anything type of subject studying and application is necessary....
So we started the day with our HEEL/TOE exercises as usual.. this time for me it was becoming very natural and not as awkward because I had learned a little different than their instruction.. so now I feel I can adapt to different car pedals distances which before I couldnt.. I feel the throttle plate was a big help.. but if its not there I can still HEEL TOE .... now did I get all my blips and shift down perfectly... NO....I didnt.. but my technique is improving and Im WAY more confident in that area than going in... I feel I still will practice with my blip strength and braking... key point... blip heavy.. you can always compensate with your clutch release than a light blip and not have enough ..... so during the exercise they let us practice and they rode with us to critique our technique... They told me I had the process down (brake, clutch, neutral,blip, shift)... so I felt good about that.... it was funny... Roy and Ernie were sorta behind me in the exercise so when we came around to each start point.. we all were grinning.. knowing our open laps werent far away....
So after HEEL/TOE practice we went back into the classroom for some cornering lessons... trying to breakdown proper apexes.... a helpful lesson of the definition and application on the white board... much harder to apply at higher speeds and adding the elements in...
So then the instructors threw us a loop... !!! This time after the cornering exercise they said OK... NOW lets go in REVERSE... so we had some more conversation on cornering and how to look at things in reverse... and HOW NOT to look at the current cones on the track for help... This exercise allowed us to pull out the line in our minds with no help... How well could we do... I felt I got close at times... but how cool is it to basically get on a new track (being reversed) and pick out the line as if we were going to race on it.... our limits were to 45mph..... which was good enough not knowing this track now... a really good exercise after our cornering and apex classroom session... it helps you learn to pick out the line... now I feel I will look for lines to drive (safely) in my everyday driving.... That was a cool exercise....
So we went back to the classroom to discuss it for a few minutes then we got back in the cars and had our last LEAD FOLLOW session.... This session was to get our heads back on to the normal track again.. and to get our minds back on the "other" line so there was no confusion... this was good because you felt like you were on a totally dif track, dif shift points, dif acceleration points.. so doing a practice after the reverse was necessary.... We got about 10 laps very good pace... and the instructors would spend some time behind you critiquing you if necessary..... I personally felt decent about my line, but I was still understanding braking (trail braking) and acceleration at just the right time... as well as hitting my apexes.... Once you get those things down a little then you can keep adding speed to each time... if any of this is rushed then it just takes time off and makes you slower.... going in faster isnt always the faster line or time... Im still building important fundamental skills to get to a faster pace...nothing you will get in 3 days but understanding that it wil take practice is the key... something I have to learn...
So then we break for lunch... they had such great lunches for us...

So AFTER LUNCH... You guessed it!!! YEP OPEN LAP TIME... So this is when you say... I can go faster....!!! Well we got our helmets together... and headed to the classroom for a few minute on the flag or open course... you have to learn exactly what they need you to know when something is happening on the course.. whether it me someone off the course... dupree on the track, slow car with an issue, whatever the situation you must learn the flags that are waved to you... so once we were quizzed on that verbally we headed out... We broke up into groups for better track usage... So some of us went onto the track and some of us loaded up in the van and planted ourselves in some of the turns to critique the lines of the other students.. (they got to do it too) So we watched and learned from them... it was cool... but our group was getting excited to get out there...So we loaded up headed to the "pit area" and got in our cars... Helmets on!!! Woohoo.. ready to go...
So Craig had the camera's set up in the Z06 C6 so my first open lap was in a Z... How cool is that.. but the rules of the course are that anyone driving a Z in open laps must have an instructor... I can see why this is necessary...the car is a beast and sometimes "we" tend to think we have some "schooling" under us we get over confident.... I can say it crossed my mind... but being in a Z sorta humbles you because I know at my level the car can do more than me... so having an instructor is a "good thing"....So my first hot laps were sorta a lesson ... which was good.. it was the first opportunity I had to actually have them ride with me.. so I got some good pointers... like I said before.. even after 3 days I still needed advice... and that will never go away for me... I will always be learning.. so I wasnt super fast but I was continuing to learn... that was GREAT.... we also had to share the Z06's.. so Ernie got a chance to drive it and had a blast as well....Ernie found it was a super solid car... very forgiving and very powerful... we both are so lucky to get this type of opportunity.... So we still had to more open lap sessions... WOOHOO...
Since I got some pointers in my hot lap from the instructor I decided to try those and try and get refine my technique.... I wanted to be fast.. but I didnt want to just focus on that part.. the fast will come when I learn the skills to get me there.. so I used those laps to learn from watching the other students previously.... and critiquing myself across the track.. you know when you dont hit it.. the car tells you... remember faster speeds isnt always the fastest results... it finally clicked to me some of the points the instructors were trying to make to me and us the whole time saying where the important braking points were... this is a lesson for me in autox too... braking and proper acceleration is key and that helps you stabilize the car .... these cars can do SO much but when you have them on line... but can be your worst nightmare when you dont.... so Im still learning so I made it a point to respect the power and know its still better than me... but give me time... These hot laps were alot of fun... its like the climax to the 3 days.. it helps you bring it all together continuing my learning process... I came away mentally drained and physically drained.. this is a good thing... it showed me I was doing what I needed to be doing.. and that Im sore because I not at a level of relaxation... that will come... Ernie followed me through some of the course and complimented me on my line which meant alot... so I feel I got so much from the course.. the things I needed to get.....
We had our graduation ceremony...spent a few minutes with all our friends we had spent the last 3 days with... a closure to an awesome week... I had a really great time with Roy, Craig, Wayne, Cindy, Gary and many others we met.... a priceless 3 days in my opinion... I think all of us came out feeling pretty good... I know Roy and Ernie felt they did well... and had a good time.. both feeling like better drivers... so did Wayne, Cindy and Gary.... I hope to get to see all of you again... making friends from all over is awesome in the corvette world.... my fav parts... Craig, Roy... I hope we can do Session II in the Fall if all works out for us...
I hope you guys have enjoyed my summaries... they may be a little long but its good to go back through it in my mind making the adrenaline come back in a sense of my experience... I would like to thank Dave Petry, Janet, Dave, Barry, Victor, Sonny, JJ, Jordan, Trasi, and all the others I cant remember but played a role in our class being so successful... An awesome school to say the least... I hope you all can experience it one day...

Last edited by TRAYC7; 03-17-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Tracey - let me be the first to reply! The trouble is, the only way I can be first is to not read it

Okay, now I'll go back and read it

<<edit>> Okay, I've read it all now. Great write up. I really need to do that some day. I roadraced motorcycles over 20 years ago, and did reasonably well at it for a 28 year old amateur, but I feel like going to the school would still be like starting from scratch. Reading your account, and how humble you are about it is very encouraging. Thanks for taking so much time to elaborate on the experience.

Last edited by jschindler; 03-16-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by jschindler
Tracey - let me be the first to reply! The trouble is, the only way I can be first is to not read it

Okay, now I'll go back and read it
You always bring a smile to my face Jim....

Well E and I are heading out to the Las Vegas strip to see some of the outside shows.. its awesome here... especially being our first time....
Old 03-16-2006, 10:55 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAYC6

Well E and I are heading out to the Las Vegas strip to see some of the outside shows.. its awesome here... especially being our first time....
Thanks - now go back and read the "edit" of my post.

And stop by Houston some time. We have plenty of room to let ya'll stay at the house!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:02 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

It's not tearing the car up, it's called accelerated wear, everything in life is a bell curve, you're just on the flat side now
Old 03-16-2006, 11:05 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Were the meals good today as well?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:09 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by TRAYC6

You are close to Primm NV. The gamblers classic put on by Corvettes of Bakersfield is going on the 17th and 18th. Lots o corvettes. Might be worth a quick trip.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Tracey, it's about time you made the report. It's late back here in the east. Us old folks need to go to bed.

Sounds like you had a ball. Can't wait for you to teach me some of your new techniques at the Birthday Bash next month.

Have fun in Vegas. Maybe Ernie can win enough to pay for Level II.

Frank
Old 03-16-2006, 11:20 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tracy,

Great write up - enjoyed reliving my class of two weeks ago through your write up. Glad you enjoyed it ... but by the third afternoon one does tend to get a little "pooped out" .

Waiting on more vids from Craig !!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:42 PM
mnmvette
Racer

Great write up Tracey. I've been to Bondurant but after hearing this it looks like I'm going to have to check out Spring Mountain. Sounds like a great experience.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:49 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you had fun!

Gotta read this when I get some free time......
Old 03-17-2006, 03:08 AM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by jschindler
Thanks - now go back and read the "edit" of my post.

And stop by Houston some time. We have plenty of room to let ya'll stay at the house!
We may take you up on that one sometime...
Old 03-17-2006, 06:38 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I need some Cliff Notes
Old 03-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Finsandchrome
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Tracey, great write ups, very informative and enjoyable to read. I also have done a 2 day Bondurant school which I can't say enough good things about. These schools definitetly make you a better driver on the track, but more importantly, on the road. They are certainly $$ well spent, as well as being a total blast! I think it might be time for me to get back to school , Spring Mountain that is!!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:45 AM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Your reports were great!!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:53 AM
MrWhan
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I can't figure out what a "blip" is

Great reports! Almost like being there
Old 03-17-2006, 12:01 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

GREAT summary Tracey. I hope Cindy and I can meet you guys out there in the Fall and share the level II experience. It was a real treat for us to make some new friends.

Also, big thanks to Craig for all his efforts at getting some great video. Can't wait to see it.

Get notified of new replies

To DAY 3 and Summary Spring Mountain Driving School

Old 03-17-2006, 12:27 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

How far is Pahrump out of Vegas? 45min?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

A few thoughts.

We drove our Z51 C6 out to SM because she so comfortable, we wanted to take a road trip with her. Also, I wanted to take her on the track. There's just something about the experience of driving your own ride. Well, it didn't let me down. This was my second time at SM, and I felt a lot more confident about my ability to drive the line and keep her on the track.

For those who haven't been there before, it's a very challenging 2.2 mile course with a total of 10 turns. You can go on SM's website, springmountainmotorsports.com and check it out. Those who have been there know what I mean.

The turn going into 8 is particularly interesting. It's a long sweeping turn to the right after an 1850 foot downhill straight-away, so you come into the turn hot. As you swing to the right side of 8, there's a 4 -3 downshift just before the turn into 9. Speaking of 9, what really ramps up the adrenalin is that turn 9 comes up quickly, and it's 90 degrees to the left, followed immediately by turn 10, 90 degrees to the right. Definitely a major rush. The approach into turn 3 is also interesting, simply because 3 turns hard back to the right, almost 180 degrees.

All in all, it was a great thrill to drive MY C6. The only bummer was that they forgot to put a transponder in my vette before we hit the track for our open lap session, so I didn't get my laps timed. I think it was pretty good, but I don't really know. I certainly wasn't perfect by any means, but my laps felt strong. I held the line pretty well after the frist 2 laps, when my nerves calmed down and my tires warmed up. (It being my second experience at SM helped a lot.)

Cindy and I are going back for level II.

Vette lovers, you don't know what you're missing if you haven't been there! Spring Mountain is a fantasy come true. There are very few places where you can drive a high performance vette to the limits of your abilities. The instructors and staff are GREAT, the cars are HOT, and the cameraderie with your classmates makes the whole experience even more rewarding.

Thanks to everyone at Spring Mountain, and everyone in our class, for making our experience an unforgetable one.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:46 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Must....drive....down...

Quick Reply: DAY 3 and Summary Spring Mountain Driving School