C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Screwballvin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Consumption - New Bulletin

I have been closely following posts regarding oil consumption. I have the same issue. We went thru the oil consumption test. (Over 1 quart in 1,000 miles, Black soot on the rear of the car and the exhaust tips) My Chevy service manager said he talked to Kentucky. There is a new service bulletin coming to replace lower rings in all 8 cylinders. Something about using iron rings on the lower groove. It scares me to have them go thru the engine, and he thinks they can do it with the motor in the car.

Hey, at least he is willing to do something about it!

Any knowledgeable information out there?

Vin

Last edited by Screwballvin; 03-27-2006 at 06:44 PM. Reason: more descriptive
Old 03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Sinister Evil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just turned 1,000 miles on mine. Going to check the oil today. Where in Whittier are you located?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Screwballvin
Racer

Default Hadley & Painter

Near Hadley & Painter
Old 03-27-2006, 01:33 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwballvin
I have been closely following posts regarding oil consumption. I have the same issue. We went thru the oil consumption test. (Over 1 quart in 1,000 miles, Black soot on the rear of the car and the exhaust tips) My Chevy service manager said he talked to Kentucky. There is a new service bulletin coming to replace lower rings in all 8 cylinders. Something about using iron rings on the lower groove. It scares me to have them go thru the engine, and he thinks they can do it with the motor in the car.

Hey, at least he is willing to do something about it!

Any knowledgeable information out there?

Vin
What year and how many miles?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Screwballvin
Racer

Default 2005 10,000 miles

2005 Early vin# 107112 Just broke the 10,000 mile mark this weekend.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:26 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you do an advanced search for threads started by S2K.

He's been fighting with the dealer about an oil burning problem for months. Recently, he had a breakthrough...the dealer determined from a leakdown test that it probably was burning oil. They re-ringed two cylinders, but the outcome is still uncertain. It seems that it's hard to tell how much oil is being burned if they don't know how much to put in.

S2K will definitely be interested in this new service bulletin.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Screwballvin
Racer

I already sent him a PM earlier with the info.

Thanks!

Vin
Old 03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
k-line
Racer

I'm burning about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts per 2000. I went round and round with GM a while back. But gave up after I ran out of options, besides legal action. There are a number of other forum members with the same problem. If you post the info on the service bulletin it would be helpful. Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 06:12 PM
joela
Instructor

this might not relate to you guys, but i know lots of high rpm operation will burn oil.....good luck, keep us posted
Old 03-27-2006, 06:14 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this problem attached to MXO,MN6, Z51,F55 etc etc? Or is it a random thing that can hit any car?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Screwballvin
Racer

I don't know. I have MN6, Z51

Last edited by Screwballvin; 03-27-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Screwballvin
Racer

Can a California car blowing that much oil pass the smog test?

Old 03-27-2006, 09:43 PM
AFTERBURN
Racer

An engine at WOT and high RPM has the potential to pull oil over through the fresh air vent system. The PCV system goes into reversion. A common addition to overcome this event is to add a small catch jar in the the fresh air pcv line. Additional volume can slow air flow and also catch oil prior to injestion through the throtle body.

Nothing new here. At WOT and high rpm the rings flutter and blow by escalates thus inducing reversion. All engines experience this, some worse than others. Manuals tend to travel up into red line range more frequently.

Inline catch jars a readily found at your local speed shops.

Last edited by AFTERBURN; 03-27-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

GM runs these engines "loose". So some oil consumption is normal. A "loose" engine will produce more power, less friction. Oil consumption goes up with high rpms too..
Some oil also passed thru the PCV system.
I would rather add a quart or two between changes than to have the dealer try to fix it.
The LS1/LS6 engines also consume oil when driven hard. The lower land ring was revised in 2001 to better control oil consumption.. it helped.. but its just the nature of the beast... there are worse alternatives than having to add some oil every now and then...
Old 03-27-2006, 11:28 PM
drgp
Advanced

Default Oil consumption issue

Some oil consumption problems can be directly related to break in thechnique. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the C6 comes with synthetic oil from the factory. The most important factor in early oil consumption is the incomplete seating of the piston rings. This NEEDS to be acomplished in the first 50-100 miles.Syntheic oil hampers this due to the lack of engine wear. Engine wear is actually a good thing for the first 1000 miles. A gentle gradual break in is not condusive to piston ring seating, ESPECIALLY with synthetic oil in the crankcase! Check out Motoman at http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm BTW, Porsche and Audi consider the consumption of 1 qt/1000 miles to be "within acceptable limits".Oil is cheap!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 PM
JohnDS
Pro

Originally Posted by Screwballvin
My Chevy service manager said he talked to Kentucky. There is a new service bulletin coming to replace lower rings in all 8 cylinders.:
Good GOD! This would require a complete engine tear down. There is no way I would put up with that crap.

Where is that video with the guy that rammed into the dealership with his new SUV. I would want to study that so I can do it right.

John
Old 03-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnDS
Good GOD! This would require a complete engine tear down. There is no way I would put up with that crap.

Where is that video with the guy that rammed into the dealership with his new SUV. I would want to study that so I can do it right.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Consumption

Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drgp
BTW, Porsche and Audi consider the consumption of 1 qt/1000 miles to be "within acceptable limits".Oil is cheap!
Car companies quote limits like those to avoid having to fix their engines. There is no excuse for a modern engine to use over 1 qt in 4000 miles under nomal useage.

My 112,000 mile GMC doen't use 1/2 that much oil, my wifes 98,000 mile uses less and my 58,000 mile C4 Corvette uses about 1/10 qt in 6,000 miles.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JmpnJckFlsh
I suggest you do an advanced search for threads started by S2K.

He's been fighting with the dealer about an oil burning problem for months. Recently, he had a breakthrough...the dealer determined from a leakdown test that it probably was burning oil. They re-ringed two cylinders, but the outcome is still uncertain. It seems that it's hard to tell how much oil is being burned if they don't know how much to put in.

S2K will definitely be interested in this new service bulletin.
Ah, my plight is legendary. Pathetic, but legendary. I will say, however, that it is has been some 600 miles since they figured out how much oil to put in the car, and it has not burned a drop. Still too early to tell, but this is encouraging. I don't know if it was based on the supposed overfill or just the engine needing a bit of time to break-in from the re-ring job they did. I will see for sure within the next few weeks.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drgp
Some oil consumption problems can be directly related to break in thechnique. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the C6 comes with synthetic oil from the factory. The most important factor in early oil consumption is the incomplete seating of the piston rings. This NEEDS to be acomplished in the first 50-100 miles.Syntheic oil hampers this due to the lack of engine wear. Engine wear is actually a good thing for the first 1000 miles. A gentle gradual break in is not condusive to piston ring seating, ESPECIALLY with synthetic oil in the crankcase! Check out Motoman at http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm BTW, Porsche and Audi consider the consumption of 1 qt/1000 miles to be "within acceptable limits".Oil is cheap!
Except this isn't a limited release car. I am willing to bet the vast majority of owners no nothing of break-in techniques and everyone is using synth. Yet, while this is a problem for some us, I'd wager it isn't a problem for most. The issue is quality control and luck of the draw. And of course the plot to screw me over, but I digress....

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption