C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some feedback....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:04 PM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some feedback....

I went in today to Coggin Chevy to get an oil change for my c6. They had to keep me there for a while to see check on some recall. No big deal. So the guy comes out and tells me there is no recall, but there is a nail in my back left tire. I was like, huh? He said that the whole tire would need to be replaced ($500+). So I called up a buddy of mine who works at a goodyear tire shop, and he said that they can actually just patch it up for like $80.

Anyway here are my questions. When i asked the mechanic how he knew there was a nail in my tire, he said "the PSI on the tire was too low". I said how low? He was like 27. Wouldn't the dash have told me that the tire PSI for that tire was low before i pulled in there? Second, why didn't the dealer even offer to just patch it up, instead telling me I have to get a whole new tire? (BTW, I just got back from my buddys, and he said it is patchable). When I told the dude who said i needed a new tire, after hearing about the PSI being to low, I said to him "wouldn't the dash moniter have told me that." He muttered a bit, and was like "I just gotta tell you that there is nail in your tire." What do you think the deal was? The way the nail was, I wouldn;t be surprised if they put it in their themselves. It was directly under the lift. So basically at the bottom of the tire. The whole thing seemed kinda sketchy.

PS....I swear it is no wonder why GM is in such crappy shape. Customer service is crap. I've been to other dealerships, and have expierenced the same thing. I love the Corvette, I hate the people you have to deal with to buy and fix it.

Last edited by scottypman; 04-03-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:09 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

It has to get below 24psi before you get a warning. As far as patching, it depends on where the nail is. Too close to the sidewall and it's new tire time...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Even if the dealer is telling you the truth about the nail, isn't the tire under warranty from Goodyear??
Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

What an ***. Just go have your friend help you out. I had my tire patched last week. It cost $25 and they patched it from the inside, and Goodyear will refund me the cost because it's covered in the road hazzard warranty.
scottypman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Even if the dealer is telling you the truth about the nail, isn't the tire under warranty from Goodyear??

I guess getting a nail in it isn't covered. Even so, the dealer could have told me that it could be patched. It wasn't on the side btw, it was on the part where the tire hits the road.
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Goodyear patched my tire under warranty. I believe they do this for the first year only.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:18 PM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

I guess getting a nail in it isn't covered. Even so, the dealer could have told me that it could be patched. It wasn't on the side btw, it was on the part where the tire hits the road.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:19 PM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xcutter
Goodyear patched my tire under warranty. I believe they do this for the first year only.
Ive had mine for 8 months...even if you get a nail in it?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 PM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mlongo99
What an ***. Just go have your friend help you out. I had my tire patched last week. It cost $25 and they patched it from the inside, and Goodyear will refund me the cost because it's covered in the road hazzard warranty.

Well that makes me feel better....thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 03:24 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scottypman
Ive had mine for 8 months...even if you get a nail in it?
Yes, most Goodyear dealers do not know about this. I had to have them make a call. You are covered. Get a refund.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:27 PM
carjon
Burning Brakes

It is in the little warranty booklet that you should have gotten with car. Fixed or Replaced free for 1st year or until x tread is left (I believe)
Old 04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xcutter
Yes, most Goodyear dealers do not know about this. I had to have them make a call. You are covered. Get a refund.

For anyone who needs it, here is the link to Goodyears warranty....

http://www.goodyear.com.ph/service/warranty.html

And I am amazed.....nail punctures are covered.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default r/f's

I wish i knew about the warranty before i fixed my tire when i first got it...DEALERS DON'T KNOW a thing about tire fixes and YES you can patch a r/f as long as you're not on the very edge.The only real benefit to these chevy dealers lately is that they're forcing me to learn to do my own stuff on the vette because i don't trust any of them!!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jesse12804
I wish i knew about the warranty before i fixed my tire when i first got it...DEALERS DON'T KNOW a thing about tire fixes and YES you can patch a r/f as long as you're not on the very edge.The only real benefit to these chevy dealers lately is that they're forcing me to learn to do my own stuff on the vette because i don't trust any of them!!

Amen...I'm with you on that one dude. I don't trust any Chevy dealer anymore. Like I said, I've just had nothing but bad expierences during the buying and maintence process. Great car tho
Old 04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
GTO_Vette_Guy
Instructor

Discount Tire in Dallas patched mine from the inside for free. It's part of their services that they offer.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some feedback....

Quick Reply: Need some feedback....