C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High-heat anti-rust paint for rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:50 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default High-heat anti-rust paint for rotors?

I noticed that the factory black paint on my Z51 rotors is succumbing to rust already... 5 months. I have painted other rotors in the past with high-quality high-heat paint, only to have them succumb to rust also in what I feel is a short amount of time.

Is there a specifc high-heat paint that is specifically more rust resistant than others? Or, is there a rust treatment product that can be applied prior to painting that will withstand the high heat of rotors?

My cars are out in the rain, snow etc, all year long... seems that any painted rotors I have last only about one year max before rust takes over. Would like to get a little more time out of a rotor detail. Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

If cleaned and preped correctly they will not rust. Go to www.eastwood.com and they have a complete section on rust removal and high temp paints.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
I noticed that the factory black paint on my Z51 rotors is succumbing to rust already... 5 months. I have painted other rotors in the past with high-quality high-heat paint, only to have them succumb to rust also in what I feel is a short amount of time.

Is there a specifc high-heat paint that is specifically more rust resistant than others? Or, is there a rust treatment product that can be applied prior to painting that will withstand the high heat of rotors?

My cars are out in the rain, snow etc, all year long... seems that any painted rotors I have last only about one year max before rust takes over. Would like to get a little more time out of a rotor detail. Thanks
POR BLACK VELVET: http://www.prp-porstore.com/POR-15-H...re-Paint.html#
Old 04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
kon_gee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet

I was fortunate enough to paint my Z-51 rotors before they got to rusting. I used black brake caliper spray paint and doused them really
good in the holes and around the vents as well as the hub. After 3200 miles they look perfect but I'm parked inside and they will see no winter driving. Also when I painted the rotors I let the overspray cover the braking surfaces so everything that is exposed outside of the braking surfaces is completely covered. The first time you apply your brakes you will want to go easy on them in and let the pads scrape off the overspray.
Gary
Old 04-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

You could have them zinc plated:

Old 04-25-2006, 03:30 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Or cadmium:

Old 04-25-2006, 03:30 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I used high temp engine enamel ten months ago and they still look like I just did it.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I use 1200 degree ceramic duplicolor engine paint. it holds up great, except for track days, and then they need to be repainted. For daily use though, its awesome.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:34 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

I used a regular water based paint--so far so good
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Extend® will do what you want. It goes on "milky" and dries to a satin black finish that will not rust further...and stands up to high heat.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:05 PM
buddyepa
Racer

I just used a rust converter I got at Walmart. This was months ago and it has held up perfectly. i also used it behing the rims arond the studs where it was also rusting. Cheap and it works.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
gringoray
Racer

How did you guys tape off the rotor to paint it exactly rounded, in the hat area?

Get notified of new replies

To High-heat anti-rust paint for rotors?

Quick Reply: High-heat anti-rust paint for rotors?