C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top No Good for C6's??? Elect Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Optima Red Top No Good for C6's??? Elect Problems

Ok, I've been having electrical issues with my 2006 C6 since I got it. Dead batteries, flaky glitches etc etc. After the advice on this forum, I went out and bought an Optima Red Top, and a Priority Start module. No more dead batteries but car was still buggy.

1.What has been happening a lot is that I would go to start it, press the button and just get a lot of clicking in the dash board, after trying it a bunch of times it will start (priority start module is not cycling, and there is full power to the car).

2.Sometimes when I start the car all gauges swingover normally, but then when they come back to the left, they "stutter", and swing back in 4 or 5 steps, then the car stalls.

3.Other times I start the car, it starts up, and immediately stalls. I then try to start again, and it will run fine.

4.Last week I started it, went to drive off and I got a message on the dash that said "reduced engine power", and the car was barely running, felt like it was hitting on two cylinders. Check engine light came on. Next morning it was on again (check engine), but car ran normally. I called On-Star to check what the fault was, and it was a "safe mode" due to some type of a computer error, they said it would probably reset itself within two startups of the car (it did).

I got the car to the dealership (my local, but good guys as they sponsor the local corvete club meetings). They check the car out, and couldn't pull any codes off the car because as soon as they hooked up to it, the Priority Start Module had disconnected the battery (this is what I was told, I wasnt there). They pulled the P.S. module out of the car, and have no fault codes to read because the battery was disconnected. They called Chevy Tech, and were told that the Optima Battery should NOT be used on the C6 because its standard voltage is not high enough, it only puts out 12.1 vs 12.6 volts, and this is not enough for the sensors. I called "B.S." the Optima is a high end battery and tons of people are using them in C6's and noted this forum as a reference, and showed them Optimas literature. They told me Optima is a better battery for Starting, but not for the voltage required in the C6 electronics. The dealership asked for my original battery so they could charge, test and put it back in the car. They told me if I didnt do this and they had to have an engineer come out from Chevy he wouldnt even look at the car. Sooooo, I brought them the old OEM battery, and I'm waiting for more information today.

Any advice that you guys can provide here would be greatly appreciated. I've wanted a Vette my whole life, and this definitely is not the experience I signed up for so far.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 AM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Problems!

Be patient and play by their rules. Many have kept good records and in the end GM did the right thing. I am sorry to hear you are having a problem as Corvette ownership should be fun and more fun. Good luck and may the force be with you.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Interesting. Did you verify that the Optima Red Top only does 12.1? I replaced a bad OEM with a Red Top and have had Priority Start cutting in what I consider way too much. Let us know.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by scrannel
Interesting. Did you verify that the Optima Red Top only does 12.1? I replaced a bad OEM with a Red Top and have had Priority Start cutting in what I consider way too much. Let us know.
I haven't verified it myself, but the dealership measured it themselves. Car is still with them.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Optima will not fix vehicle issues. If the car keeps draining the battery, you have to fix the problem. Optima will cycle better than a regular flooded battery, allowing it to recharge when a regular flooded battery will not, but it is not the silver bullet that will fix the issues with car.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:09 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by timd38
Optima will not fix vehicle issues. If the car keeps draining the battery, you have to fix the problem. Optima will cycle better than a regular flooded battery, allowing it to recharge when a regular flooded battery will not, but it is not the silver bullet that will fix the issues with car.
I realize it wont fix vehicle issues, but my issues initially were starting and dead battery, thats why I went to the Optima. Now Chevy is saying the Optima is "causing" the other issues.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Just went on Optima web page and they claim "Open circuit voltage fully charged -- 12.8 volts." I'll measure mine when I get a chance.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:11 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by scrannel
Just went on Optima web page and they claim "Open circuit voltage fully charged -- 12.8 volts." I'll measure mine when I get a chance.

I looked for that info on the website and couldnt find it. Can you post the link for that info, I'd love to fax it up to the dealership asap. This will probably save me a lot of aggravation.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
I looked for that info on the website and couldnt find it. Can you post the link for that info, I'd love to fax it up to the dealership asap. This will probably save me a lot of aggravation.

Thanks!
Here you go: http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...035_082304.pdf

or here: http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ec_sheets.html
Old 04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigearl56
Be patient and play by their rules. Many have kept good records and in the end GM did the right thing. I am sorry to hear you are having a problem as Corvette ownership should be fun and more fun. Good luck and may the force be with you.
This sounds very strange. Document everything and good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:16 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks, I'm sending it off to them now.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:44 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Let us know what goes down.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I realize it wont fix vehicle issues, but my issues initially were starting and dead battery, thats why I went to the Optima. Now Chevy is saying the Optima is "causing" the other issues.
Optima will not cause those problem, because if they did GM would not use them in their military vehicles.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:23 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Did we ever get an update on this issue? MontRed.Vert?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Well yes, and no. The dealer kept the car for a few days. They took out the Optima Red Top, AND the Priority Start module. I got the car back, and have not had a single problem since then (this is the first time since I've owned it that I haven't had a problem with electrical/starting). I spoke at length with the mechanic and a tech, and he told me not to put the "Priority Start" module back on the car. They told me it is similar to operating your computer and pulling the plug, and is not good for the electronics at all when it switches off. He said there is no DBS on 06's and the battery issue has been resolved. He told me if power is draining from the battery there is another issue, or a bad battery, period. THey also felt that the Priority Start module I had was way too sensitive and causing the problems that I was having. Now that I haven't had any issues at all since I got the car back I don't know what to think???? At one point I was wondering if my Infinity's Fob was interfering with the Corvettes (they are both keyless entry), but it doesnt appear to be the case. The car is going back in shortly for a glove box repair, and they are going to run diagnostics on it again, but I'm not expecting any answers, because the car has been perfect. Maybe they reset the computer, and that got things back on track, I really don't know, but at this point I've got a Delco battery back in, good voltage, and the car has been bullet proof. I will update here if anything else happens, or changes with this situation, but for the time being, I'm not putting the priority start back in.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Well yes, and no. The dealer kept the car for a few days. They took out the Optima Red Top, AND the Priority Start module. I got the car back, and have not had a single problem since then (this is the first time since I've owned it that I haven't had a problem with electrical/starting). I spoke at length with the mechanic and a tech, and he told me not to put the "Priority Start" module back on the car. They told me it is similar to operating your computer and pulling the plug, and is not good for the electronics at all when it switches off. He said there is no DBS on 06's and the battery issue has been resolved. He told me if power is draining from the battery there is another issue, or a bad battery, period. THey also felt that the Priority Start module I had was way too sensitive and causing the problems that I was having. Now that I haven't had any issues at all since I got the car back I don't know what to think???? At one point I was wondering if my Infinity's Fob was interfering with the Corvettes (they are both keyless entry), but it doesnt appear to be the case. The car is going back in shortly for a glove box repair, and they are going to run diagnostics on it again, but I'm not expecting any answers, because the car has been perfect. Maybe they reset the computer, and that got things back on track, I really don't know, but at this point I've got a Delco battery back in, good voltage, and the car has been bullet proof. I will update here if anything else happens, or changes with this situation, but for the time being, I'm not putting the priority start back in.
I assume that your charging was checked, and the battery ground stable and tight?

I don't believe the comments on the prioritystart causing problems, as so many here on the forum have been successful with it long term. Same thing about their comments on Optima voltage. Sounds like they're doing their best to blame your fixes, and sound like experts.

But as long as things get right, who really cares?
Let's hope you're fixed!
Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I assume that your charging was checked, and the battery ground stable and tight?

I don't believe the comments on the prioritystart causing problems, as so many here on the forum have been successful with it long term. Same thing about their comments on Optima voltage. Sounds like they're doing their best to blame your fixes, and sound like experts.

But as long as things get right, who really cares?
Let's hope you're fixed!
Agreed 100%, and yes charging was checked, ground etc etc. THey actually marked the service as a "loose" battery connection so they could get paid for the battery removal, and re-install. The guys are really nice, just think they dont have any more of an idea of a fix than anyone else because it is intermittant. So far I'm just happy to press the button and have it fire up!!

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Red Top No Good for C6's??? Elect Problems

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top No Good for C6's??? Elect Problems